The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Anyone have the tweet from earlier today: something about Tennessee winning 23 of its last 25, which was more than a five year period in the 90s? Something to that effect, but I can't find it.
Was it the one that said Tennessee has been ranked in the Top 5 seventeen times in the last 5 years compared to being ranked in the Top 5 seventeen times in the previous 70 years before that?

edit: I know that’s not it, but will look for that 23-25 deal.

Was it the one that said Tennessee has been ranked in the Top 5 seventeen times in the last 5 years compared to being ranked in the Top 5 seventeen times in the previous 70 years before that?

edit: I know that’s not it, but will look for that 23-25 deal.
That's another good one, but I think it had to do with SEC wins, if I'm not mistaken.

Except this fanbase will turn on Heupel if he doesn’t keep it going. This dumbass fanbase will probably start railing on him if we “only” make the expanded playoff a few times.

And if baseball has another quick exit or 2, they will turn on TV.

The ones that are saying they don’t care about basketball now that football is “good” (after 1 good season) can go pound sand because they are probably the fairweather types anyway.
y’all love to hate on our fanbase.

y’all love to hate on our fanbase.

I mean maybe if our fanbase didn’t complain so much people wouldn’t be so negative about them. Like, I think it is an objective fact that our fanbase loves to complain when we right now have arguably the healthiest and best athletic department in the entire country.

I mean maybe if our fanbase didn’t complain so much people wouldn’t be so negative about them. Like, I think it is an objective fact that our fanbase loves to complain when we right now have arguably the healthiest and best athletic department in the entire country.
It’s the same anywhere else though. People ready to fire Saban for missing the playoffs.

Reactions: vols 30
It’s the same anywhere else though. People ready to fire Saban for missing the playoffs.

Personally, I disagree. I don’t think it is necessarily the same “everywhere”. Some places, sure. I agree. But, I would say Tennessee is in the Top 10 of the “hardest to please” fanbases.

Personally, I disagree. I don’t think it is necessarily the same “everywhere”. Some places, sure. I agree. But, I would say Tennessee is in the Top 10 of the “hardest to please” fanbases.
I would say those places don’t care and have complete apathy. Which I would never want to be in that state.

Watching some of Texas, interesting team, they play super small and a hectic style…looking to force turnovers, and really pressure the ball which has been a weakness for our guards previously so curious to see how they handle it. They don’t shoot well from 3 (hope I didn’t jinx it) and they’ll play 3-4 non shooters at a time, just looking to drive past their man and break things down and feast in the lane, they are really good around the room which is a bit surprising given they aren’t very big. Feels to me like turnovers will be a huge part of the game Saturday, keep our number around 12 or so and I feel pretty good.

Anyone have the tweet from earlier today: something about Tennessee winning 23 of its last 25, which was more than a five year period in the 90s? Something to that effect, but I can't find it.

I haven’t seen the tweet, but Wade Houston won 27 conference games in five years. Kevin O’Neill won 14 in his three.

I live in Alabama. Basically all of my close friends and relatives are Alabama fans. No one is saying this. It’s something you’ve cooked up in your own mind to make our delusional fans seem less crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolsSportsFan
Watching some of Texas, interesting team, they play super small and a hectic style…looking to force turnovers, and really pressure the ball which has been a weakness for our guards previously so curious to see how they handle it. They don’t shoot well from 3 (hope I didn’t jinx it) and they’ll play 3-4 non shooters at a time, just looking to drive past their man and break things down and feast in the lane, they are really good around the room which is a bit surprising given they aren’t very big. Feels to me like turnovers will be a huge part of the game Saturday, keep our number around 12 or so and I feel pretty good.
Aidoo could play a massive role if he can get a few blocks and really make their smaller guards think twice before going at the basket. This feels like a game that Plav will be unplayable.

I live in Alabama. Basically all of my close friends and relatives are Alabama fans. No one is saying this. It’s something you’ve cooked up in your own mind to make our delusional fans seem less crazy.
Nah. Go to TideFans.com. Its their VN. And Rupp rafters for UK makes VN look reasonable. TigerRant was a mad house when BK lost to FSU and got blown out by us.

We aren't any worse than any other fanbase in the SEC that has tasted success.

Nah. Go to TideFans.com. Its their VN. And Rupp rafters for UK makes VN look reasonable. TigerRant was a mad house when BK lost to FSU and got blown out by us.

We aren't any worse than any other fanbase in the SEC that has tasted success.
I’ve always felt the amount of “noise” coming from any specific fanbase is predicated on the losses. I don’t believe the narrative that Tennessee is worse than any other SEC fanbase. In the general population, I believe it’s safe to say that, on average, each fanbase has their fair share of the crazies. Of course, it’s highly dependent on events occurring within a specific program at a given time.

Unfortunately, I do think we’ll have some idiots who’ll want to run Heupel out of town if he continues to miss the playoffs.

Personally, I’d be happy winning 10 games every year.

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
Aidoo could play a massive role if he can get a few blocks and really make their smaller guards think twice before going at the basket. This feels like a game that Plav will be unplayable.
Plav is gonna have 60lbs and 4” at least on all their 5’s, my guess is we will try it some and see if we can get easy buckets without it killing us defensively.

Reactions: berryvol
Agreed on Aidoo - might be a 5 block game for him. Sounds like a game that Mashack might contribute more defensively. Don’t know if I agree on Uros as his size should allow him to get whatever post position he wants and he’s been pretty effective lately when he gets the ball deep with either that little hook off the backboard or a good pass to the perimeter if he’s doubled. If nothing else, I might would use him for 5 really hard fouls at the rim ?

Reactions: berryvol
Several of us have posted similar points, but it falls on deaf ears of the ones who just want to complain. I’ve even used the South Carolina angle.

Who would honestly trade our last 7 years for South Carolina’s? Sure, they had the F4, but they also missed the tournament entirely 5 times and have a 109-95 record. Tennessee in that span is 151-65 with 4 NCAAT appearances (and a 5th one coming) and a S16. Give me that record and 5 shots in the big dance. I enjoy basketball for 5 months from November to March, not just a couple weeks in at the end of the year, so I can’t and won’t determine an entire season’s level of success based solely on that. That’s extremely myopic.

I know you are talking about NCAA but add in the SEC tournament c'ship which, no surprise, suddenly didn't matter to the "b-ball is a tournament sport and that's all that matters" crowd.

Last edited:
It’s like I’ve said 100x, does a ref swallowing his whistle on the Turner foul at the end against Purdue suddenly make Barnes one of the better coaches ever because he’d have made an E8 here? Drawing a line in the sand of E8 or further is just so shortsighted when trying to determine if someone is a good/great coach, or if you’re going to support someone or not.

There's a reason why the NBA has playoff series and not "1 and done" but I don't expect unsophisticated fans or posters with an agenda to recognize why

Reactions: cardvolfan
It’s like I’ve said 100x, does a ref swallowing his whistle on the Turner foul at the end against Purdue suddenly make Barnes one of the better coaches ever because he’d have made an E8 here? Drawing a line in the sand of E8 or further is just so shortsighted when trying to determine if someone is a good/great coach, or if you’re going to support someone or not.
If it was just the outcome of that one post season run you’d have a point. If only we had more data points when it really matters…. A great coach might have schemed up a response for Cline when he was going off

VN Store

Back