The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

I wonder if it’s NIL.

I think that I’ve only noticed JJJ and ZZ actually making appearances or endorsements. “NIL” is really a joke - it’s just a way to launder pay for play.
I will say, I knew that was gonna happen when NIL opened up. I was surprised though how upfront it was, I thought schools would still keep up the pretense that the money was really for advertising and not simply pay for play. Im not saying that means NIL should be canned (the cat is out of the bag now anyway and the courts wouldnt let the NCAA put it back in anyway), I'm just surprised how brazenly schools quickly transitioned to pay for play

I just think it's time to go young and build a contender. Go young with talent. This cycle of bringing in church league transfers and developmental projects that are still not producing as upperclassmen is not a good formula. Our best group under Barnes came in together, got plenty of playing time as freshman, and developed into a top team.

Last edited:
The released text to Miller from Miles that said “bring me my gun” seems to refute the part of the statement that Miller didn’t know there was a gun in the car….but I guess they are playing the dumb card and saying that Miller never saw that text until after the incident.

I suppose the argument's something like that -- that Miller came to pick Miles up before knowing anything about a gun and either got the message about the gun too late or didn't understand what Miles meant.

I'd be interested to know the opinion of the younger posters with respect to the comprehensibilty of Miles's text. Had I been the recipient, I'd never have guessed that I was being asked to bring a gun somewhere.

I have an off topic question, didn’t want to start a thread about it, hoping it’s ok to post here. It seems like every week there is another announcement of a superstar concert at TBA. Is this something that Danny White is doing? We’ve always had concerts sporadically there, but it feels like a concerted effort to bring in these big acts all of a sudden.

I have an off topic question, didn’t want to start a thread about it, hoping it’s ok to post here. It seems like every week there is another announcement of a superstar concert at TBA. Is this something that Danny White is doing? We’ve always had concerts sporadically there, but it feels like a concerted effort to bring in these big acts all of a sudden.

I doubt it. The only way I can see a big act choosing to come to Knoxville for any reason other than the metrics say it will sell out is if the venue guarantees a certain number of ticket sales (most likely, a sell out)

And I don’t think Danny White has control of those decisions anyway.

Also, permitting alcohol sales a few years back was a big contributor to these acts coming in IMO

If Julian Philips thinks he would have been better off at LSU or some other school, he is sadly mistaken.

He's underweight, struggles to finish at the rim ans is not a threat as an outside shooter.

He's not a one and done. He needs to come back next season and improve his game

As for Barnes, I like him. He's the best coach UT has ever had in men's bball. He does however have to find out how to run a winning offense. Maybe he's not an offensive coach and that's fine, he will need to find a offensive guru out there to help him with that.

Even in the past when we had assistants like English, Schwartz and others, we still had scoring droughts

This year's team has a bunch of role players, there's not a player that consistently takes over games. Hit the transfer portal and find that alpha PG and dominating big

This year's team has a bunch of role players, there's not a player that consistently takes over games. Hit the transfer portal and find that alpha PG and dominating big

That's what I've started to notice the most out of this team. Nobody that steps up,and sticks out when they need it. You pretty much know what to expect.... Especially since Phillips and James has been out. As far as Phillips ,if he's not happy at UT for whatever reason, it's best to move on.

Reactions: Vols till I fall
That's what I've started to notice the most out of this team. Nobody that steps up,and sticks out when they need it. You pretty much know what to expect.... Especially since Phillips and James has been out. As far as Phillips ,if he's not happy at UT for whatever reason, it's best to move on.

Well no offense to JJJ or Phillips, but even when they are in the game, sometimes I don't even notice it

If Phillips is unhappy, bye. I haven't been impressed with him.

Reactions: Pennheel
Well no offense to JJJ or Phillips, but even when they are in the game, sometimes I don't even notice it

If Phillips is unhappy, bye. I haven't been impressed with him.
It feels like some of you expect every freshman to come in and have a Brandon Miller like impact. Those guys are few and far between. It makes me wish we'd just wholly abolish the star/ranking system. People just set themselves up for disappointment. If Julian Phillips were ranked #150 and a 3*, you'd all be fawning over his potential based on what you've seen, so far.

It feels like some of you expect every freshman to come in and have a Brandon Miller like impact. Those guys are few and far between. It makes me wish we'd just wholly abolish the star/ranking system. People just set themselves up for disappointment. If Julian Phillips were ranked #150 and a 3*, you'd all be fawning over his potential based on what you've seen, so far.

I think the scouts for the recruiting services are too liberal when it comes to handing out 5 star rankings. A 5 star ranking should be reserved only for guys who are instant superstars imo. Too many guys who receive 5 star rankings aren’t that type of player which goes against fan expectations and ultimately ends up being unfair to the player.

It’s a typical Basilio generic statement, so that he’s not wrong…everyone on the team if you asked them would tell you they aren’t happy with how the season has unfolded to this point, not just Phillips.
To be fair to the actual statement, Basilio said that Phillip's folks (his camp) are not happy with how things have gone. Not a direct tie to Phillips being unhappy himself, and not necessarily a reference to the team's season. Reading between the lines, it seems they aren't particularly happy with the role Phillips has played when healthy. My guess is they expected him to have a much more involved role as one of the larger focal points of the offense.

And again, this may be much ado about nothing, so take it with a grain of salt.

Isn’t this supposed to be the off topic thread in the BBF? There’s so much whining and b**ching about the basketball program this year there’s no place to hide from it.

Isn’t this supposed to be the off topic thread in the BBF? There’s so much whining and b**ching about the basketball program this year there’s no place to hide from it.

I'm new to this forum and all,but it just seems like something that is bound to happen from time to time. I could really do without all the complaining when it's without a reasonable explanation.

I'm new to this forum and all,but it just seems like something that is bound to happen from time to time. I could really do without all the complaining when it's without a reasonable explanation.

I don’t get why so many new posters give a s*** about TN BB when they are complaining so much about it (yes, there are also the handful of regulars that are chronic b****ers about anything that the team isn’t doing 100% perfectly). It’s not like the trophy case is filled up with National Championship hardware. This is historically the most competitive program since the SEC was a 10 team league.

I mean unless Julian wants to put on some weight and do his best to become the next Grant Williams I don't know what the expectation is to be a more focal point of the offense.

6th on the team in FGAs, he rarely takes 3s even if open

In this offense that Barnes runs if you're a strong interior post player you can get touches fed to you and take advantage. If you're a wing guy then everything runs off motion, you either catch and shoot or try to get by your guy off the catch as he trails you out of a screen. It's never been a throw it to so-so at the top of the key and let them try to breakdown their guy one on one...there is 3 decades of Barnes' style of play. He's never tailored anything he's done to any player he's gotten.

VN Store

Back