The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Damn Ark got a nice pickup in Mark

Ole Miss might get Murray and Estrada, would be two nice pickups

Last edited:
Wow...ETSU let Desmond go after just 2 seasons? That's a bit surprising...why hire a first time HC and then give him such a short leash?

In the spirit of the offseason.

A random pet peeve of mine is when people complain about “lack of effort” or “hustle” for a loss.

It feels like a cop out excuse for losing when you just can’t diagnose a real reason.

IMO, I rarely see a loss that has anything to do with effort. I can barely point to any Rick Barnes coached game where I thought a player wasn’t giving best efforts. Their best efforts might not be good enough, but that’s a different thing.

A random pet peeve of mine is when people complain about “lack of effort” or “hustle” for a loss.

It feels like a cop out excuse for losing when you just can’t diagnose a real reason.

IMO, I rarely see a loss that has anything to do with effort. I can barely point to any Rick Barnes coached game where I thought a player wasn’t giving best efforts. Their best efforts might not be good enough, but that’s a different thing.

Totally agreed and we were discussing elsewhere that every time a Vols team loses a game it is virtually guaranteed that there will be a few spots indicating that there was no effort

My pet peeve as well. Aside from one player we already know about, these guys hustle and give their all every game. I always said I can live with a loss as long as maximum effort was given every night. These guys bust their tail.

You must not have paid close attention to ON - his effort level was very inconsistent IMO

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup
You must not have paid close attention to ON - his effort level was very inconsistent IMO

So your stance is that he’d regularly loaf, and then Barnes, as the coach, would see that in the game, then re-watch on film study, thus seeing it again…and then he’d keep starting him and playing him significant minutes?

So your stance is that he’d regularly loaf, and then Barnes, as the coach, would see that in the game, then re-watch on film study, thus seeing it again…and then he’d keep starting him and playing him significant minutes?
I think CRB knew the potential and kept trying to coax it out of ON. As the year progressed the leash appeared to become shorter when the intensity / production was lacking. Against Duke IIRC he barely played in the first half? Again, JMO and maybe I don’t have a clue.

Last edited:
Good lord...didn't realize the baseVOLs got beat on by TTU!

I expected they'd be in a rebuild this year, but a few losses are head scratchers.

Also personally relieved to get official word that Gainey is in the boat and Santi is returning.

Good lord...didn't realize the baseVOLs got beat on by TTU!

I expected they'd be in a rebuild this year, but a few losses are head scratchers.

Also personally relieved to get official word that Gainey is in the boat and Santi is returning.

It’s been a humbling season for Vitello and fans alike. I’ve been watching, and I still plan to keep watching, but this team is unfortunately not very good. The pieces don’t seem to gel at all. Pitching has underperformed. And, somehow, the team has a little league defense. They’re the lowest percentage fielding team in the entire conference and they’ve made some truly baffling errors.

It’s kind of like watching the Bad News Bears on defense, to be honest.

It’s been a humbling season for Vitello and fans alike. I’ve been watching, and I still plan to keep watching, but this team is unfortunately not very good. The pieces don’t seem to gel at all. Pitching has underperformed. And, somehow, the team has a little league defense. They’re the lowest percentage fielding team in the entire conference and they’ve made some truly baffling errors.

It’s kind of like watching the Bad News Bears on defense, to be honest.
Imagine Barnes having a preseason Top 3 team and missing the NCAAT all together, woof!

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol

VN Store

Back