The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

They also consistently choke in some of the biggest moments, and go through long periods of some of the lowest offensive basketball IQ I've ever seen.

They've won 66% or better in 3 of their 4 seasons here... Reached the top 20 in all 4 years, reached top 10 in 3 of their 4 seasons.

I mean you think the playing style is going to change if they aren't here, and the playing style under Barnes has been pretty consistent for his entire tenure. The only difference was Grant gave us a great inside scoring threat and we've not replaced that as of yet, but with Aidoo, Awaka, and the additions of JP and Ledlum I think that could be in the mix this year.

Not sure if JJJ will be a 28 mpg guy like he has been for his career this upcoming season as a walk-on. But having him on the roster and working with the team is going to be helpful. I actually don't think you'll see him playing as many minutes as you assume at all. I feel like this is an opportunity to position himself for a faster path to get into coaching.

Perhaps our disagreement is lost in the ambiguity of your statement of "who are they going to look to". I took that to mean in the physical sense as in who is going to have the ball in their hands.

If, instead, you meant who are they going to listen to, I still don't know if it's relevant as if to assume that people solely gravitate to older players/people for direction. That isn't absolute in sports or in life. Age doesn't equate to wisdom. There are a lot of natural-born leaders who lead older players. Eric Berry was one, Tim Tebow was one. Kobe Bryant was a leader for the Lakers at age 20 on a team of professionals, many 10+ years older than him.

Assuming that leadership is always derived from the oldest player automatically is extremely presumptive.
You are correct in that I am talking about voices, the pep talk guy, the guy the team looks toward for energy on the floor, the guy who "runs" practice, I know the coaches do but the player that shows how to fix a mistake, shows up on time etc...... I want that guy to have that dog in him. I think Vescovi wants to but his game just doesn't translate to that role, I think JJJ is too timid for that role. When your leader executes confidence your team has confidence, I still think being the oldest guys in the room Barnes expects that from Vesco and James and I don't like that.

They've won 66% or better in 3 of their 4 seasons here... Reached the top 20 in all 4 years, reached top 10 in 3 of their 4 seasons.

I mean you think the playing style is going to change if they aren't here, and the playing style under Barnes has been pretty consistent for his entire tenure. The only difference was Grant gave us a great inside scoring threat and we've not replaced that as of yet, but with Aidoo, Awaka, and the additions of JP and Ledlum I think that could be in the mix this year.

Not sure if JJJ will be a 28 mpg guy like he has been for his career this upcoming season as a walk-on. But having him on the roster and working with the team is going to be helpful. I actually don't think you'll see him playing as many minutes as you assume at all. I feel like this is an opportunity to position himself for a faster path to get into coaching.
Grant was a leader that had that dog in him. I'm looking for that kind of voice.

Currently, and I hope I’m wrong, I don’t see Ledlum being super successful at this level. So I’m super happy to have JJJ back as an insurance policy if he’s healthy enough.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this next year should be the last group that has the COVID year available right? Because Santi/JJJ class were freshman during the 2019-2020 season. So every class after them shouldn't have a COVID year right? That would stablize the transfer portal next year a little bit with all the COVID years mostly gone.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this next year should be the last group that has the COVID year available right? Because Santi/JJJ class were freshman during the 2019-2020 season. So every class after them shouldn't have a COVID year right? That would stablize the transfer portal next year a little bit with all the COVID years mostly gone.
Ledlum has a year if he wants it, but he would be the last on the roster.

Never really thought we be able to see Tennessee men’s basketball is in a situation where the staff could do the platoon system if they wanted too. Actually mind blowing

Vols drop from #12 to #16 in the athletic post-draft ranking. From the write-up, this seems to be because Uros left? It is Seth Davis, after all... Oh well, at least UK fell from #11 to #25.

Men's college basketball top 25: Kansas is up, Kentucky is down after NBA Draft deadline

16. Tennessee
Last time: 12

Wednesday went as expected for the Volunteers. Sophomore forward Julian Phillips announced he is staying in the draft, but senior Josiah-Jordan James withdrew and decided to return to school. Uros Plavsic, a 7-1 senior center, was projected in my last ranking as a returnee, but he announced on May 22 that he is turning pro as well. Chris Ledlum, who led Harvard in scoring (18.8 points per game) and rebounding (8.5) last season, will add production and experience, but much will depend on how well Zakai Zeigler recovers from the torn ACL he suffered during the last week of the season.

Stopped reading at Seth Davis…lol

You may derive more enjoyment from reading the UK description

25. Kentucky
Last time: 11

This program had such a bad day on Wednesday that even the one piece of good news wasn’t all that good. Oscar Tshiebwe and Chris Livingston both announced that they would stay in the draft as projected. Super senior guard Antonio Reeves also withdrew from the draft, but he is in the transfer portal and has not yet said where he will play next year. Reeves still could return to Lexington, but as of now, he moves into the projected departures column. That leaves John Calipari with just seven scholarship players, all of whom are freshmen and sophomores. That’s a tall order even with the nation’s No. 1 ranked recruiting class on the way.

You may derive more enjoyment from reading the UK description
Reeves sort of holds all the cards in that situation. UK is the desperate one in that relationship. I'd make them pay up, too. If not, go somewhere that will. I hate that NIL has drove us to that point, but it is what it is, and I don't hate it has happened to UK. They created this monster.

Sorry for not being a sunshine pumper.

You should try it sometime, it's not a bad way of life

sunshine-pumping.gif

Reeves sort of holds all the cards in that situation. UK is the desperate one in that relationship. I'd make them pay up, too. If not, go somewhere that will. I hate that NIL has drove us to that point, but it is what it is, and I don't hate it has happened to UK. They created this monster.
It is ironic that a mid major transfer from Illinois State is holding Kentucky hostage for money.

To give Reeves credit, he was the sole reason they won some of the games they did last year. But he also shot them out of the NCAA Round of 32 game against Kansas State when he went for 1-15

VN Store

Back