The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Vols drop from #12 to #16 in the athletic post-draft ranking. From the write-up, this seems to be because Uros left? It is Seth Davis, after all... Oh well, at least UK fell from #11 to #25.

Men's college basketball top 25: Kansas is up, Kentucky is down after NBA Draft deadline

LMAO, dropping us in the rankings because we lost Uros shows how little (i.e, zero) The Athletic pays attention to us. I very much appreciate Uros and his time as a Vol but losing him is a net positive for this team.

Reactions: berryvol
Because I am a Tennessee fan, and follow TN basketball.
Maybe I should clarify. Why comment? Following UT basketball, you get all the info just by lurking. If you did that, you’d get everything you claim to want without enduring the unpleasantness of knowing that all your fellow vol fans think you’re awful. Lots of people choose to do that.

Do you feel your perspective is that valuable despite it being clearly unwelcome? Is it a compulsive thing like I suspect a lot of peoples social media usage is? Is it just trolling but you’d rather not acknowledge that you enjoy trolling? Something else entirely?

Reactions: BisonVol
Maybe I should clarify. Why comment? Following UT basketball, you get all the info just by lurking. If you did that, you’d get everything you claim to want without enduring the unpleasantness of knowing that all your fellow vol fans think you’re awful. Lots of people choose to do that.

Do you feel your perspective is that valuable despite it being clearly unwelcome? Is it a compulsive thing like I suspect a lot of peoples social media usage is? Is it just trolling but you’d rather not acknowledge that you enjoy trolling? Something else entirely?
Because lurking is boring. Plus when I see someone say something I think is dumb, I can't help myself, I have to tell them their idea is dumb.

Truth hurts. Mashak has way more athletic ability and if that Northern Colorado shooter is as good of a shooter as some think taking minutes away is dumb. If you shift him to the 4 you take minutes away from Awaka and Ledlum, maybe a small ball 5 but if Estrella is as good as advertised I don't want JJJ playing over him.
I dont believe in the roster personally but if some of these guys are as good as I was told they were then the last thing we need is James taking minutes from anyone.

lmao

The highlighted says it all about your posts on this topic

To be clear, you are asserting that CRB and staff will choose to play JJJ over better players out of favoritism. This is peak derangement and no reasonable poster can take you seriously.

Because lurking is boring. Plus when I see someone say something I think is dumb, I can't help myself, I have to tell them their idea is dumb.
I think that’s dumb 😉 and that you’re uselessly introducing a ton of unnecessary negativity into your life (and into the lives of the rest of volnation).

But ok. It’s the compulsive posting one with a bit of the arrogance one thrown in. I don’t suppose that’s surprising. Kinda cliche really.

Reactions: walkenvol
I've made a tier-list of some players from this century. I've only used players that played at least 3 seasons at UT.

You may disagree with which tier certain players are in. That's fine.

But my question is, once his career at UT is complete, which tier would you expect to place Santiago Vescovi in?

Tier 1

G. Williams
Lofton

Tier 2

Richardson
Watson
Schofield
Chism
Stokes

Tier 3

McRae
J. Smith

Tier 4

Hopson
Bone
Moore

Last edited:
I've made a tier-list of some players from this century. I've only used players that played at least 3 seasons at UT.

But my question is, once his career at UT is complete, which tier would you expect to place Santiago Vescovi in?

Tier 1

G. Williams
Lofton

Tier 2

Richardson
Schofield
Chism
Stokes

Tier 3

McRae
J. Smith

Tier 4

Hopson
Bone
Moore
I would say Tier 2 for certain with a chance to be in Tier 1. Same can be said with ZZ. Santi is one of the highest basketball IQs on that list and is the 2nd best shooter imo.

Last edited:
Some honorable mentions/Tier 5

Bowden
Turner
Hubbs
Prince
Pons
Golden

Was Tyler Smith here 3 years?

Tier 1

G. Williams
Lofton

Tier 2

Richardson
Watson
Schofield
Chism
Stokes

Tier 3

McRae
J. Smith

Tier 4

Hopson
Bone
Moore
3 but if he could get to 2 with this bonus season, especially if we can put some shooters around him.

Some honorable mentions/Tier 5

Bowden
Turner
Hubbs
Prince
Pons
Golden

Was Tyler Smith here 3 years?

yup and I think Fulk and Tatum are in that T5 range too. Maymon is tough to rank cause of his injury history but probably T5 as well. Dane.

I really like evan miya's work on player ratings over at EvanMiya CBB Analytics. One thing to note about his ratings though, is they can be skewed by the overall performance of the team. For example, Dalton Knecht and Ledlum have poor power ratings because they play on bad teams. Their rating will be much higher this year playing on a good team.

Here is what he has as the best Tennessee individual seasons from the last 5 years. For this past year, he had Zakai Ziegler at 46.4 and Vescovi at 46.1, which would be ahead of Springer in 21.

1685723964487.png

Last edited:
Vescovi belongs in tier 2.5 imo. Bone has to be higher. Chism is too high.

Interesting take on Chism. At one point he was the all-time leader in wins. (Assume that’s Fulk now without looking it up)

I rate him pretty highly due to his two way contribution. We beat John Wall / Cousins super team largely due to his defense (Cousins finished with like 5 points or something) as an example.

He was a stretch forward in a time where that wasn’t so common. I just think he was a winning player. Averaged a steal and block per game. Rebounded well. Consistent.

I’ve always been a big Weezy stan though, so maybe I’m biased.

Reactions: DowntownVol
Next season, we are going to bully people (even more so than this past year).

Ziegler: Junior, 21 years old
Vescovi: 5Senior, 22 years old
Knecht: 5Senior, 22? years old
Ledlum: Senior, 22 years old
Aidoo: Junior, 21 years old

James: 5Senior, 23 years old
Mashack: Junior, 21 years old
Awaka: Sophomore, 20 years old

Awaka, James, and Mashack in particular are all muscle. Plenty of length with this crew as well. Wrestling with Awaka, Aidoo, and James all game long will get old real quick for the other teams big guy(s). We will have the best combination of experience and physicality in all of college basketball, except for maybe Kansas.

Interesting take on Chism. At one point he was the all-time leader in wins. (Assume that’s Fulk now without looking it up)

I rate him pretty highly due to his two way contribution. We beat John Wall / Cousins super team largely due to his defense (Cousins finished with like 5 points or something) as an example.

He was a stretch forward in a time where that wasn’t so common. I just think he was a winning player. Averaged a steal and block per game. Rebounded well. Consistent.

I’ve always been a big Weezy stan though, so maybe I’m biased.
He is definitely one of the best Vols of this century, and I think he belongs somewhere in your tier list. I remember thinking to myself at several points in his career that he didn't seem like he was giving 100%. That's not to say he was bad or ineffective, I just questioned his work ethic and hustle. Of course, his time was over a decade ago, and we all, as fans, are now wiser than we were at that time. I very well may be giving an unfair assessment, but my initial reaction is that, considering the rest of the list, tier 2 is too high. Also, if we're calling him tier 2, then Alexander has to be not too far behind that position imo.

Next season, we are going to bully people (even more so than this past year).

Ziegler: Junior, 21 years old
Vescovi: 5Senior, 22 years old
Knecht: 5Senior, 22? years old
Ledlum: Senior, 22 years old
Aidoo: Junior, 21 years old

James: 5Senior, 23 years old
Mashack: Junior, 21 years old
Awaka: Sophomore, 20 years old

Awaka, James, and Mashack in particular are all muscle. Plenty of length with this crew as well. Wrestling with Awaka, Aidoo, and James all game long will get old real quick for the other teams big guy(s). We will have the best combination of experience and physicality in all of college basketball, except for maybe Kansas.
I recall a thread last season where Barnes said Awaka was just 17 followed by an interview of Awaka where he stated he had turned 18. I’m guessing he will be 19 this season, not that it changes your point as he will still be a tough matchup down low.

He is definitely one of the best Vols of this century, and I think he belongs somewhere in your tier list. I remember thinking to myself at several points in his career that he didn't seem like he was giving 100%. That's not to say he was bad or ineffective, I just questioned his work ethic and hustle. Of course, his time was over a decade ago, and we all, as fans, are now wiser than we were at that time. I very well may be giving an unfair assessment, but my initial reaction is that, considering the rest of the list, tier 2 is too high. Also, if we're calling him tier 2, then Alexander has to be not too far behind that position imo.

Agree that work ethic was what held him back.

I remember leading up to the draft his senior season, we had played (and lost) to Draymond Green and Michigan State where he and Wayne finished the game with almost identical stat lines.

Draymond and Wayne were VERY similar in a lot of ways (other than passing). They were both stretch forwards that were out of shape. But played good defense.

They even played on the same summer league team IIRC.

But Draymond got into shape and became what he is today. And Wayne never really applied that same level of commitment.

Point being, I don't think Wayne ever came close to reaching his full potential.

I would say Vescovi is solidly in Tier 2 right now and likely will finish there in my eyes, but if he has another 1st Team ALL-SEC season and we make another Sweet 16, he probably is in Tier 1.

VN Store

Back