The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

I caught a couple of games last week from the The basketball tournament. The Wichita State team (Aftershock) was playing at home in front of a good crowd. It would be great to see a Ballounteers alumni squad get back together in orange. Did Bobby Maze organize the team last time they played?
If Memphis (Beale Street Boyz) can get a team together surely the Vols can.

Are season tickets already sold out for this upcoming season? I tried to go to the All Vols page to look at season tickets and it told me that there is no more available season tickets.

He' s got the oiliest and greasiest shake and bake I can remember watching

Last edited:
This might be the deepest team I've seen at UT.

First of all Lithuania's under 21 team is D1 level. Maybe lower D1, but that's a country that loves basketball and they've had a lot of good players come out of there. We were just physically superior and we have weapons out the ass.

The only weakness is our depth inside. Still Awaka and Aido are as good as any bigs in the conference. Just need Estrella to keep developing.

But guard, wing and forward?
Lots of experience, skill, athleticism.

We have multiple scorers, shooters, slashers and ball handlers.

If our defense is great like last year then look tf out

This might be the deepest team I've seen at UT.

First of all Lithuania's under 21 team is D1 level. Maybe lower D1, but that's a country that loves basketball and they've had a lot of good players come out of there. We were just physically superior and we have weapons out the ass.

The only weakness is our depth inside. Still Awaka and Aido are as good as any bigs in the conference. Just need Estrella to keep developing.

But guard, wing and forward?
Lots of experience, skill, athleticism.

We have multiple scorers, shooters, slashers and ball handlers.

If our defense is great like last year then look tf out
On that note, I had a thought watching the replay that you could make a huge lineup and a lineup designed to be super small ball, and have the lineups share no players but both be completely viable lineups in major college basketball, in my view.

Huge:
Dillione
Knecht
JJJ
Estrella
Aidoo

Small:
Zeigler
Gainey
Vescovi
Mashack
Awaka

On that note, I had a thought watching the replay that you could make a huge lineup and a lineup designed to be super small ball, and have the lineups share no players but both be completely viable lineups in major college basketball, in my view.

Huge:
Dillione
Knecht
JJJ
Estrella
Aidoo

Small:
Zeigler
Gainey
Vescovi
Mashack
Awaka

That’s pretty cool

Reactions: Vol49er
Dillione looks special. Be surprised if he doesn’t start at the 1 for the entire season.

I think you phrased that well, I could see him starting at the 1 for the entire season and ZZ being a spark plug off the bench. Will be curious to see how many MPG Dillione continues to get when ZZ returns fully healthy.

I expect we'll see more 3 guard small ball options to keep Dillione and ZZ on the court together when possible.

Reactions: johnfnkelly
Gainey impressed the most overall for both games. I expected Freddie to be good and he didn't disappoint. I also thought Knecht would be able to knock down shots from deep and he delivered.
I didn't expect Gainey to be able to create and distribute so well, play good/great defense while also scoring from all 3 levels.

Will be interested in how the game against the professionals goes today.

I think you phrased that well, I could see him starting at the 1 for the entire season and ZZ being a spark plug off the bench. Will be curious to see how many MPG Dillione continues to get when ZZ returns fully healthy.

I expect we'll see more 3 guard small ball options to keep Dillione and ZZ on the court together when possible.

I haven’t had time to watch the first two games, but I think keeping Dillione at the 1 would limit his ceiling. He has a lot of potential as a scoring-first guard and seems to be more natural at the 2 from the high school footage I’ve seen. For a team that was offensively challenged last year, I’d like to use him off the ball as much as possible. We need him to attack rather than facilitate. Sure, he could do both as a PG, I just think it’s a bit harder to do both at a high level. Those types of players are rare.

I haven’t had time to watch the first two games, but I think keeping Dillione at the 1 would limit his ceiling. He has a lot of potential as a scoring-first guard and seems to be more natural at the 2 from the high school footage I’ve seen. For a team that was offensively challenged last year, I’d like to use him off the ball as much as possible. We need him to attack rather than facilitate. Sure, he could do both as a PG, I just think it’s a bit harder to do both at a high level. Those types of players are rare.

With 2 or 3 seniors at the 2 spot this year we don’t need Dilione there so much. He can develop his PG skills this year which will help him succeed in the NBA. He can focus on being the primary shooting guard next season. UNLESS TN doesn’t sign a high quality PG.

You're reading too much into it, "starting at the 1" isn't the same as "only playing the 1."

I could see him getting 100% of the starts at the 1, but ZZ coming in as the first man off the bench and playing the 1 while Dillione is slid to the 2 or 3. But I'm not sure it's limiting at all, not when guys like Curry and Morant play the 1 at the next level and really don't seem to struggle scoring.

I think Freddie looked more comfortable with the ball in his hand and creating rather than relying on screens and picks to move without the ball like Santi. I think how many minutes you see Freddie at the 1 will really come down to two things 1. how quickly will ZZ be full healthy & 2. how well can Freddie defend smaller PGs (especially in league play).

The good news though it seems like the staff didn't need to reach in the portal for a PG based on what Freddie brings to the table. With his size he could be similar to Josh Richardson in his final season here...and that would be HUGE for us.

Gainey impressed the most overall for both games. I expected Freddie to be good and he didn't disappoint. I also thought Knecht would be able to knock down shots from deep and he delivered.
I didn't expect Gainey to be able to create and distribute so well, play good/great defense while also scoring from all 3 levels.

Will be interested in how the game against the professionals goes today.
Yea there was a ton of hot takes about Gainey when he was added, won’t go pull them out based off 2 games against low level competition but at the very least he sure looks like he belongs.

Yeah, he definitely looks like an improvement over Key in every way.
The offensive firepower upgrade is impressive, I’m sure we’ll have some cold nights, but Dilione looks like he can get to the basket and same for Mashack…Aidoo, Awaka and even Estrella seem like much more consistent scorers than Nkamhoua was.

The offensive firepower upgrade is impressive, I’m sure we’ll have some cold nights, but Dilione looks like he can get to the basket and same for Mashack…Aidoo, Awaka and even Estrella seem like much more consistent scorers than Nkamhoua was.

The interior rebounding will also help our bigs be more consistent scorers than Nkamhoua was, all 3 of the guys we have now aren't looking to be stretch 4s that shoot fall aways and 3s for the bulk of their shots.

Agreed, Freddie, Mashack, ZZ when he returns and then I think Knecht, Gainey and a healthy JJJ are all capable of driving to the rim as well.
Jefferson drives the ball very well and is an above the rim finisher , Freddie sometimes, Knect sometimes, and Maishack not often enough, like JJJ. Even Aidoo and Awaka settle for glass when they should be breaking it. Estrella is better than them both above the rim.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back