The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

There's an article (paywall) in the athletic about Vandy missing out on an SEC hoops title due to their fans hurling tennis balls at UF player Dwayne Schintzius, earning a tech with one second to play that allowed UF to tie and ultimately win their game. I had never heard about this before, but am curious if others recall that.

Vandy had a strong program at the time and the Commodores were considered giant killers especially playing at home. I remeber how angry the Vandy fans were at the time. They said it wasn;t even a vandy fan that threw the tennis balls. I cant read the article so I don't know if it mentions that. Schintzius was a monster and I seem to remember tennis balls being thrown at him before in othe SEC games. SEC hoops were a lot of fun back then even to me as a little kid.

Reactions: Volprofch05

Interesting. I didn’t watch the game so idk how much they were each playing their main guys. We play Illinois at home this year, Kansas maybe in Hawaii

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo

Interesting. I didn’t watch the game so idk how much they were each playing their man guys. We play Illinois at home this year, Kansas maybe in Hawaii

Both teams' best players played hard for an entire game. It was nothing like a NFL preseason game. Their crowd was in March mode. Home standing hostile crowd. Went away with disappointment and hard feelings

Where did the JJJ hate thread go? I was interested in the OP's postgame assessment of how disappointing James was.

Maybe the mods are going to push back on TROLLS (Rule #6) and DISREPECTING PLAYERS (Rule #4). I had several posts disappear in the JJJ thread but I’m more than happy to lose them if it means that that nonsense won’t be tolerated. It can be a special season. Shutting up the board idiots would be a welcomed enhancement.

Kim English tied for first in athletic poll of first year coaches who will make the biggest impact.

0461F76B-AAF1-4AF8-837A-F328CA55E62B.jpeg

Kim English​

English turned 35 last month. His head coaching CV is a 34-29 record and no postseasons in two years at George Mason. Some might wonder how he’s already in the big chair at a Big East program. But English just has a way of impressing people. From Brian Hamilton’s story this summer:

“English got in front of Providence athletic director Steve Napolillo and wowed him. ‘First five minutes,’ Napolillo says, ‘I was like, ‘This is my guy.’’ He exchanged scripture passages with Providence president Rev. Kenneth Sicard. And he received an unsurprising endorsement from Rick Barnes, who once upon a time coached at Providence and called his former Tennessee assistant ‘a rising star in the business’ in a conversation with Napolillo. English officially had the job just three days after (Ed) Cooley departed, but unofficially even before that.”

English still has to prove himself as a head coach, but unlike others on this list, he inherited an NCAA Tournament-caliber team that didn’t need a complete roster overhaul. Potential All-America forward Bryce Hopkins is back, as is junior guard Devin Carter. Top-50 recruit Garwey Dual stayed on board after Cooley bolted for Georgetown, and English brought in a few of his top players from George Mason, including 6-foot-9 senior Josh Oduro, who averaged 15.6 points and 7.9 rebounds while earning first-team All-Atlantic 10 honors. Providence was picked by the league’s coaches to finish seventh in the Big East, so success is not guaranteed. But things are set up well for English to fire up Friars fans in Year 1.

Kim English tied for first in athletic poll of first year coaches who will make the biggest impact.

View attachment 592013
Happy to see that. I feel like I read from someone on this board who is not somebody who makes stuff up that English had burned some bridges at Tennessee. I hope I’m misremembering that

Reactions: knoxvol52
Happy to see that. I feel like I read from someone on this board who is not somebody who makes stuff up that English had burned some bridges at Tennessee. I hope I’m misremembering that

I vaguely recall something along those lines but I don’t think I put much stock in it, for whatever reason

VN Store

Back