The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

If he stayed in the game and hits both those free throws (like Aidoo did), it’s a 6 point game and I think we would have potentially been able to pull it off. After he went out no one could hit a shot. Probably don’t win, but I’d feel pretty good about a 6 point deficit with 2 min left and the ball in Knecht’s hands. UNC got almost all of their points from the foul line the last 6 minutes of the game.
Side note on a potential comeback ripped away - Not only was Knecht scorching hot, but he was getting other guys WIDE open looks when he got doubled. I thought he did a great job being strong with the ball, making smart decisions, and putting the ball right where it had to be when setting up his teammates down the stretch.

Side note on a potential comeback ripped away - Not only was Knecht scorching hot, but he was getting other guys WIDE open looks when he got doubled. I thought he did a great job being strong with the ball, making smart decisions, and putting the ball right where it had to be when setting up his teammates down the stretch.

Honestly, moving forward, that is the biggest development coming out of this game. The offense becomes quite efficient when the offense runs completely through him. A lot of our guys can't make their own shot consistently and Knecht drawing multiple defenders allows the others to play to their strengths get into their own rhythm.

Let's put this another way. As a Barnes supporter/defender on this board, if Knecht comes back healthy and our offense doesn't look like it did in the second half (which is a different offensive philosophy than what we have seen the past few years), Barnes needs to retire.

Honestly, moving forward, that is the biggest development coming out of this game. The offense becomes quite efficient when the offense runs completely through him. A lot of our guys can't make their own shot consistently and Knecht drawing multiple defenders allows the others to play to their strengths get into their own rhythm.

Let's put this another way. As a Barnes supporter/defender on this board, if Knecht comes back healthy and our offense doesn't look like it did in the second half (which is a different offensive philosophy than what we have seen the past few years), Barnes needs to retire.

Defender? Supporter? Barnes needs to retire. That’s not how it works.

I’m not going to lie yall, when I saw DK go down like that, I was ready to declare our season over. It sounds like a mid-low grade sprain which is really great news. Might have him back sooner than we all thought. Doubt he would be walking on it if it was a high ankle sprain

I’m not going to lie yall, when I saw DK go down like that, I was ready to declare our season over. It sounds like a mid-low grade sprain which is really great news. Might have him back sooner than we all thought. Doubt he would be walking on it if it was a high ankle sprain
No way to possibly know until CT or MRI is done. I’m praying for no breaks, then we can deal with the rest.

Jordan Gainey giving off real Tyreke Key energy since Maui started. 1-9 from 3. Another no show by him.

He's more than a 3 shooter, was 4-6 on 2pt FGs, had 2 rebounds, 2 steals, and a block with 11 points.

We just need him to be less of a volume shooter (which he was allowed to be at Upstate).

Hopefully Knecht being out for a few weeks will force the rest of the team to jell together and stop relying on Knecht playing hero ball.

There’s 0 reason why Santi should still be out of sink like this. 1 shot attempt is unacceptable.

In a way I think CRB would have had an easier time grooving this team together had Santi and JJJ left. He has too many pieces and clearly doesn’t know how to bring it together.

I’ve had numerous UNC fans tell me last night and this morning that their 1st half is the best half of basketball they’ve played in years. These are well-seasoned folks who follow Carolina and know

On another note, Eddie Fogler was at the game last night and actually was on our bus heading over to the Dean Dome. Blast from the past.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
He's more than a 3 shooter, was 4-6 on 2pt FGs, had 2 rebounds, 2 steals, and a block with 11 points.

We just need him to be less of a volume shooter (which he was allowed to be at Upstate).

Agreed. I said this in the game thread, too. He isn’t at USC Upstate anymore. Considering that we aren’t rebounding well, we can’t afford to have a bunch of empty possessions and he was letting it fly last night from behind the arc when it wasn’t going well.

I hope he is just in a slump, but we need efficiency out of him right now, particularly with Santi and Zieglar struggling to be as dynamic on offense as they were last year. If all 3 of those guys are struggling in a night, we’re going to be hard pressed to win that game.

Honestly I am not surprised Santi is having a tougher time with the new look. He really is a 2 and that's where he should be playing. JJJ can play all 5 positions so moving him around has allowed him to have an advantage on offense more this year and he's really not gotten exposed much on defense other than the Kansas game.

Gainey, Freddie, DK, Carr, Mashack... all are basically 1-3 guys that Santi has to learn to play with and also split minutes with and I think that's been a challenge for him. Especially since teams still play him physical AF and he gets called for any contact on the other end.

Honestly I am not surprised Santi is having a tougher time with the new look. He really is a 2 and that's where he should be playing. JJJ can play all 5 positions so moving him around has allowed him to have an advantage on offense more this year and he's really not gotten exposed much on defense other than the Kansas game.

Gainey, Freddie, DK, Carr, Mashack... all are basically 1-3 guys that Santi has to learn to play with and also split minutes with and I think that's been a challenge for him. Especially since teams still play him physical AF and he gets called for any contact on the other end.
Exactly. I've lost count of how many times he's been elbowed/hit in the face. He get's abused out there but gets back up.

If I worked for the Vols basketball team, I'd have my media guys cut me a highlight reel of Santi. Just the best plays from his career.

I'd pull him and the entire team into a meeting and I'd play it. He looks like he's not playing with confidence and is frustrated. Remind him 1. that he is an All-SEC player 2. you love him even through his struggles 3. you need him to play at the level he's capable of

If I worked for the Vols basketball team, I'd have my media guys cut me a highlight reel of Santi. Just the best plays from his career.

I'd pull him and the entire team into a meeting and I'd play it. He looks like he's not playing with confidence and is frustrated. Remind him 1. that he is an All-SEC player 2. you love him even through his struggles 3. you need him to play at the level he's capable of
Freshman Santi had more confidence than nearly any player I’ve seen at UT. Need that swagger back.

VN Store

Back