The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

I realize I’m apparently in the minority here, and I’m honestly fine with that. No disrespect, just my opinion. He’s breaking up a fight and getting a guy away from his bench. Agree to disagree, go vols.
I wouldn’t call that a fight. There is a referee right there and he’s there for a reason. That’s his job. A player is jawing and the referee was on it. Wasn’t like punches were being thrown. Nate Oats has always been a punk and still is a punk. I guess he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Reactions: BisonVol
Different for all kind of reasons that it’s nearly inapplicable, but in the NFL the Eagles security guard got suspended for the rest of the regular season for a similar type push of a 49ers player during a scrum. So I don’t think it’s wild to say Oats deserved an ejection or a short suspension

You’re correct. DW hired him at Buffalo.
It should be noted that DW promoted him from assistant to head coach at Buffalo. Bobby Hurley hired him as an assistant on his staff at Buffalo. It seems like there is the perception out there that Danny White found this diamond in the rough, but in reality, he did what many of these mid-majors do, which is promote from within. From there, he got lucky, really, that Oats was an up and coming star, albeit an unknown one in the profession that performed well and made him look like a genius.

It should be noted that DW promoted him from assistant to head coach at Buffalo. Bobby Hurley hired him as an assistant on his staff at Buffalo. It seems like there is the perception out there that Danny White found this diamond in the rough, but in reality, he did what many of these mid-majors do, which is promote from within. From there, he got lucky, really, that Oats was an up and coming star, albeit an unknown one in the profession that performed well and made him look like a genius.

I don’t disagree. I was just confirming that DW did hire Nate Oates since it was the question on the table.

Reactions: cncchris33

It’s interesting to think about how healthy our athletic department is but that DW has only had to make one real hire for a major sport so far in his tenure, and that one was just bringing along the guy with him from his previous stop. I trust him to find us a good coach when that time does come, but it’s not like DW has a major track record. He inherited good situation with Vitello and Barnes and has been paralyzed by the situation with the Lady Vols.

This kind of thing is part of what makes the NBA a completely unwatchable product for me, personally.

Same. The complete disregard for the basic fundamental rules of basketball is why I vastly prefer college hoops even if it’s a bit of a mess sometimes.

What is so hard about dribbling the basketball as a professional? The non-calls on a travel happen every single game.

I realize I’m apparently in the minority here, and I’m honestly fine with that. No disrespect, just my opinion. He’s breaking up a fight and getting a guy away from his bench. Agree to disagree, go vols.
I agree, non-story. If it were Barnes that did that, everyone here would want to give him a medal and talk about how valiant he is.

Reactions: IndianapolisVol
I agree, non-story. If it were Barnes that did that, everyone here would want to give him a medal and talk about how valiant he is.
No, if Barnes did that he would have been T'd up by the official, the clip would be running on a loop on TV (instead of buried behind a manipulated content warning on a stray tweet), and Birmingham would want to fine UT and suspend Barnes for the Bama game. 😂

Seriously, your "concern" to convert Bama boy's rash action into an attack on Vols fans is noted.

Last edited:
Reactions: berryvol
I was thinking the same thing. It would be just a coach protecting his players and a non issue. It's only an issue because it's a rival coach.
Haha. Reminds me of Dale Brown talking about "protecting his players" when Carlus Groves was "attacking" Shaq back in the day.

I'll be honest, I'm with you. As a former college player and high school coach I saw nothing wrong with that. The player he pushed didn't even appear to be the one that was in the tussle. He came over and began to escalate/instigate a tough guy response with the Bama player. Coaches aren't refs, but they are still an authority figure on the court. Especially in their bench/area. He didn't need to talk/yell but in my opinion he had every right to remove that player from the situation. He didn't do it aggressively. He pushed him back and the player got pulled back further by the ref and his teammates. Not tech worthy in the slightest, especially with the kind of yelling and cursing they let coaches and players get away with these days.

Edit: Adding, I hate Nate Oats as a person too but it doesn't change my interpretation of what happened there.

Reactions: IndianapolisVol

If he was breaking up a fight he should have pulled his own player away. Also the little prissy gesture he made as he did it.

I think he should have received a technical because IMO people on the bench should never be touching players on the opposing team. Even if it was mostly benign.

I'll be honest, I'm with you. As a former college player and high school coach I saw nothing wrong with that. The player he pushed didn't even appear to be the one that was in the tussle. He came over and began to escalate/instigate a tough guy response with the Bama player. Coaches aren't refs, but they are still an authority figure on the court. Especially in their bench/area. He didn't need to talk/yell but in my opinion he had every right to remove that player from the situation. He didn't do it aggressively. He pushed him back and the player got pulled back further by the ref and his teammates. Not tech worthy in the slightest, especially with the kind of yelling and cursing they let coaches and players get away with these days.

Edit: Adding, I hate Nate Oats as a person too but it doesn't change my interpretation of what happened there.
If he felt compelled to inject himself, why not step between the 2 players facing his player and coach the player on his team to not jaw with the other team? But as we know, Oats likes to listen to the opposing players and respond - bit immature for a coach IMO.

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup
I'll throw out there that I wouldn't have a problem had the refs called a tech. I like the no-call better however. I wouldn't want Barnes to be called for that in a parallel hypothetical scenario, personally.

If he felt compelled to inject himself, why not step between the 2 players facing his player and coach the player on his team to not jaw with the other team? But as we know, Oats likes to listen to the opposing players and respond - bit immature for a coach IMO.
You guys are letting your hate of Oats cloud your judgement. We’re talking about a non-penalty here. Wasn’t called on the floor because it wasn’t a big deal.

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup

VN Store

Back