The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Simply, as a head coach, you don’t take 3-4 steps toward the altercation, spread out your hands, then push the opposing player. You push your own player, maybe. In my opinion, he escalated a situation by moving away from the bench towards two players involved. There was an official there prior to that. Bad judgment.

Last edited:
I won't say it's a must win, but we need to beat Bama at home. Will be hard to knock them off at their place.

They're guards aren't very big, tallest one is 6'5" they have quite a few bigs 6'9" or taller they play, but I don't think any of them are as good as the top 2 or 3 Florida plays. The biggest thing is that Bama shoots the 3 and leads the conference in makes & attempts. Gotta do a good job of not giving them clean looks.

Hopefully our bigger and less quick guards can stay with their guys. ZZ and Santi I think will hold their own (hopefully staying out of early foul trouble), but Gainey, Freddie, Mashack, DK, & JJJ if asked will need to take advantage of their length and not lose their guys.

Will be an interesting matchup, offensively they are as opposite to Florida as anyone in conference.

I think we win if we can hold them at or below 75 points.

Not sure we can beat them in a shoot out like we had against UNC.

I'll be honest, I'm with you. As a former college player and high school coach I saw nothing wrong with that. The player he pushed didn't even appear to be the one that was in the tussle. He came over and began to escalate/instigate a tough guy response with the Bama player. Coaches aren't refs, but they are still an authority figure on the court. Especially in their bench/area. He didn't need to talk/yell but in my opinion he had every right to remove that player from the situation. He didn't do it aggressively. He pushed him back and the player got pulled back further by the ref and his teammates. Not tech worthy in the slightest, especially with the kind of yelling and cursing they let coaches and players get away with these days.

Edit: Adding, I hate Nate Oats as a person too but it doesn't change my interpretation of what happened there.
Just see what Dennis Gates thought about it. He’s a peer in the industry who’s known Oats for years.

I won't say it's a must win, but we need to beat Bama at home. Will be hard to knock them off at their place.

They're guards aren't very big, tallest one is 6'5" they have quite a few bigs 6'9" or taller they play, but I don't think any of them are as good as the top 2 or 3 Florida plays. The biggest thing is that Bama shoots the 3 and leads the conference in makes & attempts. Gotta do a good job of not giving them clean looks.

Hopefully our bigger and less quick guards can stay with their guys. ZZ and Santi I think will hold their own (hopefully staying out of early foul trouble), but Gainey, Freddie, Mashack, DK, & JJJ if asked will need to take advantage of their length and not lose their guys.

Will be an interesting matchup, offensively they are as opposite to Florida as anyone in conference.

I agree that we need to win this game. On the broadcast last night, ESPN metrics have both Auburn and Alabama at a greater than 40% chance to win the conference with Tennessee at just 25%.

Our schedule is not as favorable as their two schedules. This feels like a game that if TN drops it you likely are not winning the conference.

I think the key to the game is going to be ball pressure. A lot of what Alabama does is try and space the floor as much as possible and run some motion to try and get clean perimeter looks. Quite frequently last night Alabama had perimeter shots with no one in the zip code defending. We need ZZ to be as much of a pest as he was against Georgia denying their PG the ball at the top of the key and preventing them from getting into their sets.

If Alabama takes 27-30 shots from 3 like they did against Mizzou, that will spell trouble.

Reactions: berryvol
I agree that we need to win this game. On the broadcast last night, ESPN metrics have both Auburn and Alabama at a greater than 40% chance to win the conference with Tennessee at just 25%.

Our schedule is not as favorable as their two schedules. This feels like a game that if TN drops it you likely are not winning the conference.

I think the key to the game is going to be ball pressure. A lot of what Alabama does is try and space the floor as much as possible and run some motion to try and get clean perimeter looks. Quite frequently last night Alabama had perimeter shots with no one in the zip code defending. We need ZZ to be as much of a pest as he was against Georgia denying their PG the ball at the top of the key and preventing them from getting into their sets.

If Alabama takes 27-30 shots from 3 like they did against Mizzou, that will spell trouble.
Not if they hit sub 35%

That was a little different
It is different, that was actually a fight in the LSU/UT game. This was a player running his mouth with the referee between the players , handling the situation. Oates had no reason to act, other than getting his players back

Simply, as a head coach, you don’t take 3-4 steps toward the altercation, spread out your hands, then push the opposing player. You push your own player, maybe. In my opinion, he escalated a situation by moving away from the bench towards two players involved. There was an official there prior to that. Bad judgment.
Bingo .
It’s amazing people are saying Oates was “protecting his player”.

The other thing about the Oats’ incident last night: He’s building a resume‘ of head-scratching decisions. He’s been involved in several “dust-ups” in his time at Tuscaloosa, not to mention the situation with Brandon Miller. If his behavior was a one-off incident, then I wouldn’t think as much about last night. It’s the pattern of behaviors that keep occurring.

It would have been a better look to have just extended his arm to block the player. Instead the Natester shoved him with his forearm and then did whatever that wave thing was after the shove. It was dumb. What if the player had pushed back? An all out brawl could have broken out.

The other thing about the Oats’ incident last night: He’s building a resume‘ of head-scratching decisions. He’s been involved in several “dust-ups” in his time at Tuscaloosa, not to mention the situation with Brandon Miller. If his behavior was a one-off incident, then I wouldn’t think as much about last night. It’s the pattern of behaviors that keep occurring.

Give him credit for not ripping his shirt off. Yet.

I’m laughing at the people defending Oats.

Pretty much tells me how sh*tty people are in this generation.
LOL. You can’t make the judgement that someone is a ****** person based on the simple fact that they disagree with you about something that happened during a college basketball game. Are you only friends with people who share all of your exact same opinions? If so, that seems pretty boring.

We were having a discussion, I don’t think anyone defended Oats’ character, at least that’s not where I was coming from. I simply took the side that this is a non-issue. Society is becoming softer and softer and in cases such as this one, the things we’re getting outraged at have no affect on any of us. Your life is totally unaffected by anything Oats did, so why not just express your opinion and join the discussion.

I, like many others on here, am not a fan of Oats. However, unlike many others on here I don’t think what he did is worthy of outrage.

Do you think I’m a ****** person?

LOL. You can’t make the judgement that someone is a ****** person based on the simple fact that they disagree with you about something that happened during a college basketball game. Are you only friends with people who share all of your exact same opinions? If so, that seems pretty boring.

We were having a discussion, I don’t think anyone defended Oats’ character, at least that’s not where I was coming from. I simply took the side that this is a non-issue. Society is becoming softer and softer and in cases such as this one, the things we’re getting outraged at have no affect on any of us. Your life is totally unaffected by anything Oats did, so why not just express your opinion and join the discussion.

I, like many others on here, am not a fan of Oats. However, unlike many others on here I don’t think what he did is worthy of outrage.

Do you think I’m a ****** person?
Sports have indeed gotten softer, and part of that (at least in football) is trying to maintain safety protocols to keep the game going. Basketball pretends to do that, too, but it’s still a physical sport, and there have been some crazy calls.

There is just a kind of an unwritten rule that coaches don’t touch or trash talk opposing players, and this isn’t Oats’ first issue. But Dennis Gates was exactly right in his postgame PC. He said that’s an automatic technical if a player pushes another in a scrum like that, yet they gave Oats a pass. How many times have you seen a player get a technical for much less? I think that’s the best argument for Oats getting something.

Well, yeah, but I’d rather deny them the shots and force them into the lane for 2-points instead of a shot at 3. I don’t want to just hope that they are not hot from 3. But easier said than done.
I don’t want to leave them open for 3’s/good looks, if they shoot a high % off bad shots from 3 then it is what it is.

Crazy that on a night Knecht scores 39, it isn’t even the most points scored by an SEC player for that day.

Last night was pretty nuts for individual performances. Knecht 39, Taylor 41, and Tramon Mark 35. Wonder how often you see 3 35+ points games in the same night in conference play?

VN Store

Back