The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

If Oats did that to a HS kid or Middle School kid then I'd get it.

But pushing away a full ass grown adult who should be at his BENCH any damn way to begin with, I don't get it...

The fact that it lead to nothing makes it even easier to just move on. Not like the player took a swing or a fight broke out.

Reactions: IndianapolisVol
Wade Taylor is just a product of volume IMO and in the SEC they are 1-3 so I'm not sure him taking so many shots is really helping them. He's taken 20 or more shots in 3 of their 4 games, prior to that he had only taken 20 or more 3 times in 13 games and they lost 2 of those games (to FAU & Houston).

vs Kentucky he played 40 minutes, went 7 of 24 from the field 6 of 13 from 3PT and 11 of 12 from the FT line
at Arkansas he played 39 minutes, went 13 of 32 from the field 5 of 14 from 3PT and 10 of 13 from the FT line. (Arkansas as a team only took 51 shots).

What DK has done has been far more impressive imo

at Miss State he played 37 minutes 10 of 18 from the field, 4 of 9 from 3PT, 4 of 6 from FT and scored 28
at Georgia he played 33 minutes 12 of 20 from the field, 5 of 8 from 3PT, 7 of 9 from FT and scored 36
vs Florida he played 32 minutes 13 of 23 from the field, 4 of 6 from 3PT, 9 of 9 from FT and scored 39

So DK is 3rd in total points scored of players in the SEC (behind Taylor & Sears) he's 4th in PPG but he only had 80 FTAs. Sears and Taylor both have 95 or more.

But pushing away a full ass grown adult who should be at his BENCH any damn way to begin with, I don't get it...

The fact that it lead to nothing makes it even easier to just move on. Not like the player took a swing or a fight broke out.
Why should he be at his bench? The play had just ended. And he just was publicly reprimanded for it.

Reactions: berryvol

Yea, you have to watch the full video. This is a case where the 6 second clip doesn’t tell the entire story. The whistle had just been blown. There wasn’t a huddle.

Why should he be at his bench? The play had just ended. And he just was publicly reprimanded for it.

Because a foul was called and there was zero reason for the Missouri player to approach the Bama bench.

I don't have an issue with the SEC reprimanding Oats either. I'm just saying the outrage is a bit much and a non story.

Reactions: Chris4Vols22
The players were in front of the Bama bench. He didn’t approach. Oats should have walked toward his player, moved him away, and everything would have been fine.

As I’ve posted before, see what Dennis Gates had to say- I think he’s spot on.

The player Oats pushed (Aidan Shaw) came from nearly half court to walk to the action. Again I saw this happen live.

Oats shouldn't have touched him, SEC has responded nothing more came of it last night and the outrage seems kind of over the top. I will say the rest of the Missouri players handled that situation extremely well and better than Oats did.

Reactions: ColinS
Also I agree with Gates completely. Should have been a Technical, I also like the way he handled the "chippy game" question. "We shot 0 free throws in the first half..."

I like Gates a lot, seems like a high character guy. He inherited a bad roster from Martin (outside Kobe Brown) this year is a major setback year for them with the rebuild. Will be interesting to see how they look moving forward and if he's given time to build his culture.

Reactions: walkenvol
The player Oats pushed (Aidan Shaw) came from nearly half court to walk to the action. Again I saw this happen live.

Oats shouldn't have touched him, SEC has responded nothing more came of it last night and the outrage seems kind of over the top. I will say the rest of the Missouri players handled that situation extremely well and better than Oats did.
He was at the 3 point line. As Gates said, if a player had done that, it’s an automatic technical. Yet, Oats? Nada.

Reactions: Orange.
Wade Taylor is just a product of volume IMO and in the SEC they are 1-3 so I'm not sure him taking so many shots is really helping them. He's taken 20 or more shots in 3 of their 4 games, prior to that he had only taken 20 or more 3 times in 13 games and they lost 2 of those games (to FAU & Houston).

vs Kentucky he played 40 minutes, went 7 of 24 from the field 6 of 13 from 3PT and 11 of 12 from the FT line
at Arkansas he played 39 minutes, went 13 of 32 from the field 5 of 14 from 3PT and 10 of 13 from the FT line. (Arkansas as a team only took 51 shots).

What DK has done has been far more impressive imo

at Miss State he played 37 minutes 10 of 18 from the field, 4 of 9 from 3PT, 4 of 6 from FT and scored 28
at Georgia he played 33 minutes 12 of 20 from the field, 5 of 8 from 3PT, 7 of 9 from FT and scored 36
vs Florida he played 32 minutes 13 of 23 from the field, 4 of 6 from 3PT, 9 of 9 from FT and scored 39

So DK is 3rd in total points scored of players in the SEC (behind Taylor & Sears) he's 4th in PPG but he only had 80 FTAs. Sears and Taylor both have 95 or more.

Wade Taylor IV is about to become the first player to average 35 PPG and win SEC POTY for a team that doesn’t even make the big dance and finishes below 0.500 in conference play 😜

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
This is about the most hilarious punishment possible.

“The SEC has decided to release a harshly worded public statement as punishment for Oat’s action. Please no questions at this time.”

This is spot on. It's something that he shouldn't have done but these rival fans want him suspended for six years without pay. The league acted accordingly with a reprimand that was the equivalent of saying don't do that again which is about what this situation merited. Time to move on to more important matters like scoring more points than his team does Saturday.

Whether people will admit it or not, I think their perception of Oats and his character come into play in how they view this situation, perhaps even subconsciously.

If Rick Barnes had done this, those same people outraged by Oats's actions would likely be defending or excusing Barnes because he has reputation of being a pillar of the coaching community.

The SEC would still reprimand CRB if he did it because you don't put your hands on an opposing player as a rule of thumb, but the public perception would be much different, IMO.

He might have years ago. Like back in the day when he went after Dean Smith but it would be extremely uncharacteristic of him now.
I was thinking about that, but that was a coach, which is different, and I don’t believe it was physical.

Whether people will admit it or not, I think their perception of Oats and his character come into play in how they view this situation, perhaps even subconsciously.

If Rick Barnes had done this, those same people outraged by Oats's actions would likely be defending or excusing Barnes because he has reputation of being a pillar of the coaching community.

The SEC would still reprimand CRB if he did it because you don't put your hands on an opposing player as a rule of thumb, but the public perception would be much different, IMO.

Yep, Oats having more ejections than Elite Eight appearances AND the mess that his players had last season don't help things.

My thought is, should have been a T that's on the officials though. SEC should respond, and they did. Not much else to be said about it really.

Reactions: VolGee4
This is spot on. It's something that he shouldn't have done but these rival fans want him suspended for six years without pay. The league acted accordingly with a reprimand that was the equivalent of saying don't do that again which is about what this situation merited. Time to move on to more important matters like scoring more points than his team does Saturday.
You guys just love to stretch the arguments. Oats should have been assessed a technical, like a player automatically would have. I saw maybe one or two references to a suspension, but that’s not the core of the argument. The core of the argument is that it was inappropriate, and a game official should have done something about it.

People have to stretch the arguments to defend their side of it.

Yep, Oats having more ejections than Elite Eight appearances AND the mess that his players had last season don't help things.

My thought is, should have been a T that's on the officials though. SEC should respond, and they did. Not much else to be said about it really.
This is very reasonable.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
Because a foul was called and there was zero reason for the Missouri player to approach the Bama bench.

I don't have an issue with the SEC reprimanding Oats either. I'm just saying the outrage is a bit much and a non story.
He was already at the Bama bench, lol.

If Oates had to apologize and get publicly reprimanded it kinda proves it’s not a non story. If it were a non story there’s no apology and sec doesn’t bother putting out any statement.

He was already at the Bama bench, lol.

If Oates had to apologize and get publicly reprimanded it kinda proves it’s not a non story.

He 100% wasn't Aidan Shaw ran over after the whistle from top of the 3 point line to the Bama bench. You can watch any replay and see that plain as day.

That's the player Oats pushed away not the one that was actually involved in the tie-up/foul.

He 100% wasn't Aidan Shaw ran over after the whistle from top of the 3 point line to the Bama bench. You can watch any replay and see that plain as day.

That's the player Oats pushed away not the one that was actually involved in the tie-up/foul.
it’s like 5 feet lmao. The point is the SEC doesn’t bother publicly reprimanding anyone for a “non-story” as you call it so the “outrage” was justified.

Reactions: berryvol
it’s like 5 feet lmao. The point is the SEC doesn’t bother publicly reprimanding anyone for a “non-story” as you call it so the “outrage” was justified.

Yeah "sure" joe, you're totally "right" on this one, thanks so much for your valuable input lmao

I don't care. I'd rather Oats be sitting there watching DK drop 50 on them Saturday. I said my piece on it already.

Reactions: IndianapolisVol

VN Store

Back