The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

You're not too bright I see. The outrage is the "non story" for me personally, no amount of "proof" you think you're providing is going to change my personal opinion.

Hope this helps.
No additional proof needed. I admire you for standing by a dumb take. Can’t admit when you’re wrong.

Reactions: berryvol
Whether people will admit it or not, I think their perception of Oats and his character come into play in how they view this situation, perhaps even subconsciously.

If Rick Barnes had done this, those same people outraged by Oats's actions would likely be defending or excusing Barnes because he has reputation of being a pillar of the coaching community.

The SEC would still reprimand CRB if he did it because you don't put your hands on an opposing player as a rule of thumb, but the public perception would be much different, IMO.

I think it’s more of the perception that it’s “rules for thee but not for me”. Gates is correct that if a Mizzou player had pushed an Alabama player, or if that Mizzou player had responded to Oats and pushed him back, there would have been a technical on the player automatically.

I don’t necessarily prescribe to the “Well, if Barnes had done it” argument because A) I don’t think Barnes would ever do it and B) it deflects from the issue at hand which is that coaches are given far too much room these days to do whatever they want.

I think back to the clip of Shaka Smart a few weeks ago on the actual court almost literally playing defense on an opposing player just inches from him. Or there was another clip circulating this week of a coach also on the court pretending to block a shot on a player shooting a 3-ball near him.

I just think there needs to be some reflection by the NCAA on what is deemed acceptable behavior by a coach. The rules are there to prevent this stuff but it’s not enforced consistently and is often disregarded so as not to punish favored programs.

I think it’s more of the perception that it’s “rules for thee but not for me”. Gates is correct that if a Mizzou player had pushed an Alabama player, or if that Mizzou player had responded to Oats and pushed him back, there would have been a technical on the player automatically.

I don’t necessarily prescribe to the “Well, if Barnes had done it” argument because A) I don’t think Barnes would ever do it and B) it deflects from the issue at hand which is that coaches are given far too much room these days to do whatever they want.

I think back to the clip of Shaka Smart a few weeks ago on the actual court almost literally playing defense on an opposing player just inches from him. Or there was another clip circulating this week of a coach also on the court pretending to block a shot on a player shooting a 3-ball near him.

I just think there needs to be some reflection by the NCAA on what is deemed acceptable behavior by a coach. The rules are there to prevent this stuff but it’s not enforced consistently and is often disregarded so as not to punish favored programs.
Obviously, my Barnes scenario is hypothetical and should be taken as such. It's a conversation worth having and not really about deflecting. Sure, Barnes wouldn't probably do it, but if he did, and in the exact manner and circumstance that Oats did...again, hypothetically...I think a lot of people are changing their tune on how they view it and how serious an offense it was.

I’d agree with Wes here. Some people are making it out worse than it was, but it’s about precedent. You cannot have an opposing coach put his hands on a player in that manner even if it wasn’t that over the top. There 110% should have been a technical and a 1 game suspension should at least be on the table.

Obviously, my Barnes scenario is hypothetical and should be taken as such. It's a conversation worth having and not really about deflecting. Sure, Barnes wouldn't probably do it, but if he did, and in the exact manner and circumstance that Oats did...again, hypothetically...I think a lot of people are changing their tune on how they view it and how serious an offense it was.

I’m not saying it is a “serious” offense but it’s definitely one that was not officiated correctly, which is basically my only point. He should have received a technical. He doesn’t need to be suspended, I just believe that the NCAA needs to re-examine how they officiate coaching staffs.

But even if we were to accept that as true… so what? Yeah people are gonna be biased towards their own coach. Even if someone arguing it’s unacceptable when Oats did it would have defended Barnes had he done it, that doesn’t change whether it’s unacceptable or not. Saying if I was born in India I wouldn’t defend eating beef has no effect on whether eating beef is right or wrong.

If I’m a college coach, I’m instructing my team to collide with anyone on the opposing team’s bench that enters the court without checking in at the table including coaches, players, and support staff. It’s an easy technical free throw trip for us as the rules are crystal clear leaving the official with nothing to interpret.

If I’m a college coach, I’m instructing my team to collide with anyone on the opposing team’s bench that enters the court without checking in at the table including coaches, players, and support staff. It’s an easy technical free throw trip for us as the rules are crystal clear leaving the official with nothing to interpret.

Thats a little bit of an extreme interpretation of the point I was trying to make, but I get what you are saying.

I’m not arguing that we should take away all agency of the officials to apply the rulebook in a reasonable manner and with some wiggle room, but in this scenario it does feel like a pretty crystal clear violation was made and two officials decided to not call a technical. I’ve seen technical fouls called for far less than pushing an opposing player.

On a different note, Wes Rucker also has a fair point here.

Reactions: walkenvol
Every media outlet thinks this is quite the incident.
They should. That could escalate the situation . No excuse for it and people look foolish trying to defend him. Two officials right there, his job was to co trol his own players and pull them back. He’s a clown. He’s always been a clown. Same guy who used “wrong place at the wrong time” to defend his player being around a murder scene.

Last edited:
This isn’t an end of the world issue, but it also isn’t a nothing burger. Oates should have been issued a technical foul. Period. The fact he wasn’t is more than enough to warrant a suspension for the officials involved imo.

As for Oates, it’s just not establishing a good precedent to do nothing but issue a laughable “public reprimand”.

This isn’t an end of the world issue, but it also isn’t a nothing burger. Oates should have been issued a technical foul. Period. The fact he wasn’t is more than enough to warrant a suspension for the officials involved imo.

As for Oates, it’s just not establishing a good precedent to do nothing but issue a laughable “public reprimand”.
I think he should have gotten a technical too

This whole idea that anyone is above reproach is not accurate. Anyone could completely lose there cool and do something out of character. We are talking about a light shove not a punch. The likelyhood may by be very small. I don't think Oats was acting out of character though.

They should. That could escalate the situation . No excuse for it and people look foolish trying to defend him. Two officials right there, his job was to co trol his own players and pull them back. He’s a clown. He’s always been a clown. Same guy who used “wrong place at the wrong time” to defend his player being around a murder scene.
Nobody on here is defending him. I think we’re more saying that what he did wasnt worthy of a tech and more importantly not worthy of 5 pages of this thread. We’re allowed to have opinions just like you are.

In my opinion this was his attempt at deescalating the situation. Nobody was hurt. No technicals called on the floor.

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup
You guys hear that Nate Oats pulled out a handgun and shot an opposing player during a mid-game scuffle? No technical was called on the floor, SEC office expected to hand down public reprimand. No suspensions given.

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup

VN Store

Back