The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

You guys hear that Nate Oats pulled out a handgun and shot an opposing player during a mid-game scuffle? No technical was called on the floor, SEC office expected to hand down public reprimand. No suspensions given.

Was going to say that at least they haven’t killed anybody yet this year (that we know of)

Remember when Oats pretty much gave a lousy explanation whenever his players were involved in a murder of an woman?

Oats is a POS and obviously lacks any kind of character.
What does any of that have to do with what we’ve been discussing? Again, you’re letting your hatred of Oats cloud your judgement here. You’ve also not answered my question—am I a “****** person” as your prior post would suggest?

But even if we were to accept that as true… so what? Yeah people are gonna be biased towards their own coach. Even if someone arguing it’s unacceptable when Oats did it would have defended Barnes had he done it, that doesn’t change whether it’s unacceptable or not. Saying if I was born in India I wouldn’t defend eating beef has no effect on whether eating beef is right or wrong.
At no point did I suggest that Oats or Barnes putting their hands on another team's player was acceptable, though. You're drawing conclusions that aren't there if that was your takeaway.

Reactions: IndianapolisVol
I’m not saying it is a “serious” offense but it’s definitely one that was not officiated correctly, which is basically my only point. He should have received a technical. He doesn’t need to be suspended, I just believe that the NCAA needs to re-examine how they officiate coaching staffs.
A separate issue altogether, and one I don't disagree with.

Nobody on here is defending him. I think we’re more saying that what he did wasnt worthy of a tech and more importantly not worthy of 5 pages of this thread. We’re allowed to have opinions just like you are.

In my opinion this was his attempt at deescalating the situation. Nobody was hurt. No technicals called on the floor.
My opinion is that was Oats’ attempt to punk the Mizzou player, “get outa here” push followed by some sort of words.

Should have properly been called a technical. With Oats’ history of jawing with the other team, a one game suspension wouldn’t have seemed overly excessive. I guess the reprimand is a “anything else out of you and we will come down hard” statement?

At no point did I suggest that Oats or Barnes putting their hands on another team's player was acceptable, though. You're drawing conclusions that aren't there if that was your takeaway.
What I’m saying is what does it matter that people would say different if it was Barnes? It’s just deflecting, or at least irrelevant to the topic at hand; it has no bearing on whether what he did was acceptable or whether people are right to be upset with it.

What I’m saying is what does it matter that people would say different if it was Barnes? It’s just deflecting, or at least irrelevant to the topic at hand; it has no bearing on whether what he did was acceptable or whether people are right to be upset with it.
What's the topic at hand?

Here's a novel take on it.

What if the SEC office is letting a few days pass before announcing their penalty on Oates, so that all the good news for the league (including Knecht's performance) wouldn't be pushed off the front pages of the sports media.

Time will tell, but it's been done before by PR departments paid less than the SEC's.

Here's a novel take on it.

What if the SEC office is letting a few days pass before announcing their penalty on Oates, so that all the good news for the league (including Knecht's performance) wouldn't be pushed off the front pages of the sports media.

Time will tell, but it's been done before by PR departments paid less than the SEC's.
If that happens I’ll venmo you 10 bucks. That ain’t happening.

Whether what he did was acceptable or whether people are right to be upset about it.
Well, then feel free to believe that my hypothetical is off-topic. I don't believe it is, nor do I believe it is deflecting.

I believe it is expanding on the issue and how the story's "villain" is perceived because of his history as opposed to how a reputable coach would be perceived for the same offense.

If you find it irrelevant, off-topic, or somehow deflecting (?), feel free to scroll on by, I guess.

Reactions: IndianapolisVol
Oats should have received a technical, I don’t know that a suspension is necessarily but given precedent in the league among other sports it would seem like a suspension wouldn’t be just downright crazy, I’m good either way on that. I don’t think Oats needed to be ejected and then booked in a local jail, but I also don’t believe it was a complete non issue either. And whether folks think it’s fair or not your past is held against you in situations like this, it’s why Vitello’s punishment was as harsh as it was, Oats doesn’t have the cleanest track record.

Hey can yall help my wife and her classroom in this contest for best board. She's down 3 votes. Voting ends at 10am. Her board is the 2K Disney board Mrs Danielle and Mrs Jenna. Thank yall.

Hey can yall help my wife and her classroom in this contest for best board. She's down 3 votes. Voting ends at 10am. Her board is the 2K Disney board Mrs Danielle and Mrs Jenna. Thank yall.

Not a Facebook guy, but good luck to your wife in the contest brother.

Reactions: knoxvol52

I can drop off 100 marked ballots in the nearest drop box, if you can get officials to extend the voting time.
I'm an online Trinity UMC Preschool student, driving in from Central Time Zone.
Our votes count just as much as Eastern Time votes!

Reactions: CornbreadVol
Oats should have received a technical, I don’t know that a suspension is necessarily but given precedent in the league among other sports it would seem like a suspension wouldn’t be just downright crazy, I’m good either way on that. I don’t think Oats needed to be ejected and then booked in a local jail, but I also don’t believe it was a complete non issue either. And whether folks think it’s fair or not your past is held against you in situations like this, it’s why Vitello’s punishment was as harsh as it was, Oats doesn’t have the cleanest track record.
Doesn't have the cleanest track record in terms of actual behavior on the court (which is the Tony V equivalent), or simply in the eye of public opinion?

Doesn't have the cleanest track record in terms of actual behavior on the court (which is the Tony V equivalent), or simply in the eye of public opinion?
On the court….he’s been ejected recently and has received multiple technical fouls in recent years, not a ton of SEC/P5 coaches fit that bill.

VN Store

Back