The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

So we’re 0-3 against the other top defensive teams in the SEC.

We play 3 of them in this 5 game stretch.

A&M (5th best in league)
Auburn (2nd best in league)
at South Carolina (1st best in league)

Definitely need to be prepared for more physical defense played against us. Maybe last night will pay dividends, Barnes adjusted the lineup & players responded.

A&M (5th best in league)

Definitely need to be prepared for more physical defense played against us. Maybe last night will pay dividends, Barnes adjusted the lineup & players responded.
Even if we don't get the sweep or come up short, whatever one thinks that is. This stretch will be good preparation for tourny time. We need improvement in these type games.

Even if we don't get the sweep or come up short, whatever one thinks that is. This stretch will be good preparation for tourny time. We need improvement in these type games.

Yep, from a matchup standpoint we do better against good offensive teams that don’t play defense (Bama & Kentucky). We can slow them down, but also score well against them.

Teams that can slow us down though…have really been difficult, part of that has been our frontcourt (Aidoo & JJJ) playing poorly against physical defenders. Last night was honestly the first time it felt like Barnes changed the lineup to counter it.

Beating A&M this weekend is important. It takes a good bit of pressure off that brutal 4 game stretch.

Without a doubt. I also couldn’t stomach losing to that mediocre team twice in one season after losing to them last year, as well. I hope our guys come out hyped up and ready for revenge. That loss had to have hurt.

And they also should have the comfort in knowing we have the chance to basically ruin A&M’s tournament hopes. I think A&M has to beat us at this point to get in.

A&M (5th best in league)

Great point. It is crazy that with how physical practices are in the Barnes era that this team struggles with really physical teams but it is clearly the case since SEC play has started.

Anyone notice how the Food City Center name has been overtaking TBA name in phases?

Originally it was all being marketed as this small thing. "It will still be TBA. Just FCC at TBA."

But as time goes on, as I assume was the plan to keep us less annoyed, it will eventually become only FCC

A&M (5th best in league)

Auburn oddly worries me even more now that they likely won’t have Williams. They’re really gonna try and muck up games without him.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Auburn oddly worries me even more now that they likely won’t have Williams. They’re really gonna try and muck up games without him.

Is Williams confirmed out for a while?

IMO Auburn has the easiest remaining schedule by far in the SEC amongst those competing for the title.

Is Williams confirmed out for a while?

IMO Auburn has the easiest remaining schedule by far in the SEC amongst those competing for the title.
They said “a couple of weeks.”

Hard to see him being ready to go 10 days post injury - even if he was, not sure why they’d rush him back with their remaining schedule.

Reactions: walkenvol

We rarely overlook Auburn, fans show up & Barnes seems to know how to handle Pearl.

Honestly I think all 5 games left we will not overlook or take lightly. The issue is really how do we respond to physical play. Do we hit the FTs if we’re getting them? Do we stop being aggressive if we’re not getting calls?

Aidoo & JJJ specifically have been bad to fade in those games. Last night Aidoo didn’t back down, sure it was a winless Missouri team but they have size and SEC talent on that roster still. So that was huge to see him & Awaka bang inside and make tough shots.

ZZ also struggles a bit with physical play, you can tell he gets frustrated. Sometimes it lights a fire and sometimes he rushes and makes mistakes.

If Gainey, Santi, & Mashack can have a few strong showings on offense to help out then I like our chances.

Last edited:
Anyone notice how the Food City Center name has been overtaking TBA name in phases?

Originally it was all being marketed as this small thing. "It will still be TBA. Just FCC at TBA."

But as time goes on, as I assume was the plan to keep us less annoyed, it will eventually become only FCC
Color me shocked. I said this would happen. Many won't care, and I probably shouldn't care, either. I just hate that money buys everything, and everything is for sale. Nothing is sacred.

1708538417856.gif
I’m just surprised at how many fans on this forum have quickly taken to the new name. It will always be TBA to me!

Wouldn’t mind it if they put the money back into the stadium, which maybe they have plans to do and I’m just unaware, but currently just seems like a money grab by the athletic department.

Edit: googled and looks like they do have some planned. Will be interested to see the scope of the changes.

We rarely overlook Auburn, fans show up & Barnes seems to know how to handle Pearl.

Honestly I think all 5 games left we will not overlook or take lightly. The issue is really how do we respond to physical play. Do we hit the FTs if we’re getting them? Do we stop being aggressive if we’re not getting calls?

Aidoo & JJJ specifically have been bad to fade in those games. Last night Aidoo didn’t back down, sure it was a winless Missouri team but they have size and SEC talent on that roster still. So that was huge to see him & Awaka bang inside and make tough shots.

ZZ also struggles a bit with physical play, you can tell he gets frustrated. Sometimes it lights a fire and sometimes he rushes and makes mistakes.

If Gainey, Santi, & Mashack can have a few strong showings on offense to help out then I like our chances.
I don’t think we’ll overlook them. The physicality worries me, combined with them trying to slow it down and play without their second best scorer/all around player.

I don’t think we’ll overlook them. The physicality worries me, combined with them trying to slow it down and play without their second best scorer/all around player.
Don’t have to worry about them slowing it down unless Johnson is out for the game also - guaranteed to Jack a bunch of fast shots!

It’s a game where without Williams, JJJ can be a problem for them on both ends.

Broome will be matched up with Aidoo or Awaka, and JJJ will have more size than everyone else basically. They do play a lot of guys though, 10 players who have played in 26 games and are averaging 14+ mpg. Probably the deepest bench we will see.

I like the matchups though, DK & JJJ (without Williams) will be bigger than everyone they could see. Baker-Mazara is 6’7” but a good 20lbs lighter than DK. Chris Moore is heavy, but just 6’6” so think we got an edge in quickness against him.

For sure a tough game & they will want to slow it down.

A&M (5th best in league)

Isn’t Alabama ahead of A&M?

VN Store

Back