The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Boy it would be nice to get revenge against A and M and maintain a high ranking into the monumental final 2 weeks. I say if we lose to A and M we lose a chance to be a 1 seed.

Confirmed per Basilio. At least that’s what I read.
Drinkwitz trash talking at the Tennessee bench was confirmed during the game by the Mizzou homer announcer, who accidentally documented it by bragging about it and praising it on air when it happened. It was really weak and biased for the network not to show it at that point, since their own crew saw it happen.

Last edited:
Drinkwitz trash talking at the Tennessee bench was confirmed during the game by the Mizzou homer announcer, who accidentally documented it by bragging about it and praising it on air when it happened. It was really weak and biased for the network not to show it at that point, since their own crew saw it happen.
Good stuff. Thanks.

Need a video or audio clip to move this from rumor to fact.

Haha it’s all in jest.

If I wanted likes I’d just say dumb stuff in the Football forum. That’s how you get them, apparently

Lol. Very true. I think my like counter got inflated during the Jeremy Pruitt fiasco. Spent way too much time in the Recruiting Forum Football Talk thread during that fiasco and likes were being handed out like candy to all of us angry Vols.

That and the Summer people were afraid Tony Vitello was leaving us. An ounce of positivity went a long way lol.

Auburn oddly worries me even more now that they likely won’t have Williams. They’re really gonna try and muck up games without him.

Auburn always worries me because it seems like after Pearl got Auburn going they've mostly had our number and when we have won it's been a very tough W. But given it's at Tennessee I feel better. Auburn is just a different team on the road especially against good teams.

I would prefer running them out of TBA.

In team defense Alabama is 12th.

View attachment 621839
Adjusted by tempo Texas A&M is worse. Alabama is 13th in possessions per game, Texas A&M is 310th. A&M effective defensive FG % is 49.3, while Alabama is 48.6.

A&M’s performance against us is a statistical anomaly. They are one of the worst shooting teams in college basketball but hit their shots against us. They are an average defensive team but had an above average defensive performance against us.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Prior to last night they were ranked higher than A&M defensively on KP, they were 5th in the league, not sure where your line cuts for “competitive” though.
I was thinking top half in the SEC standings. KenPom Defensive Eff. in parenthesis.

Alabama (73)
Tennessee (5)
South Carolina (59)
Auburn (4)
Florida (90)
Kentucky (77)
Mississippi St. (13)

And if you add the other two potential NCAAT teams...
Ole Miss (133)
Texas A&M (72)

Bama has the 6th highest AdjD of those two groups.

Just using the eye test, I see Bama, UK, and Florida all as the same kind of teams. Excellent offenses and very questionable defenses. Not surprising that the AdjD numbers pretty much bear that out.

Ole Miss is a real head-scratcher given that defense has always been Beard's calling card. His Texas Tech and Texas teams were routinely top-20 KenPom defenses with his 2019 TTU squad holding the record for best AdjD number in the 23 years KenPom has existed. I guess maybe as he recruits his own guys and instills his culture, that improves, but 133 is...yikes.

I was thinking top half in the SEC standings. KenPom Defensive Eff. in parenthesis.

Alabama (73)
Tennessee (5)
South Carolina (59)
Auburn (4)
Florida (90)
Kentucky (77)
Mississippi St. (13)

Ole Miss (133)
Texas A&M (72)

Just using the eye test, I see Bama, UK, and Florida all as the same kind of teams. Excellent offenses and very questionable defenses. Not surprising that the AdjD numbers pretty much bear that out.

Ole Miss is a real head-scratcher given that defense has always been Beard's calling card. His Texas Tech and Texas teams were routinely top-20 KenPom defenses with his 2019 TTU squad holding the record for best AdjD number in the 23 years KenPom has existed. I guess maybe as he recruits his own guys and instills his culture, that improves, but 133 is...yikes.
Beard's defenses have always been very reliant on drawing charges, and new rules have changed the game for him. Really good read from Kenpom here.

Beard's defenses have always been very reliant on drawing charges, and new rules have changed the game for him. Really good read from Kenpom here.
Thats true, but like the article states, it still doesn't explain a drop from routine top-20 to 133. I'd imagine the landing spot is somewhere in between once he gets his guys in that program.

Alabama (73)
Tennessee (5)
South Carolina (59)
Auburn (4)
Florida (90)
Kentucky (77)
Mississippi St. (13)

Ole Miss (133)
Texas A&M (72)

I was referring to Alabama being Top 5 in defense in SEC, there seemed to be some doubt about that fact (at the time of posting). They’re actually one of the better defensive teams in the SEC per KP.

I was referring to Alabama being Top 5 in defense in SEC, there seemed to be some doubt about that fact (at the time of posting). They’re actually one of the better defensive teams in the SEC per KP.
Right, which is why I prefaced my statement with "of the competitive teams". Bama is actually 6th per KenPom, one spot behind A&M, and among the 9 teams vying for an NCAAT berth, 6th of 9 isn't great. Overall, 6th of 14 overall certainly reads better, but you'd expect then to be better than teams like Mizzou, Vandy, and LSU.

Reactions: berryvol
Right, which is why I prefaced my statement with "of the competitive teams". Bama is actually 6th per KenPom, one spot behind A&M, and among the 9 teams vying for an NCAAT berth, 6th of 9 isn't great. Overall, 6th of 14 overall certainly reads better, but you'd expect then to be better than teams like Mizzou, Vandy, and LSU.
Their offensive scheme is almost flawless, unfortunately. Teams like Houston and Tennessee can, and will, beat them. I think they get beat in the NCAA tourney in the second or third round.

As I said, at the time I posted it they were 5th and ahead of A&M

VN Store

Back