The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

I want a Final Four so bad for this fanbase, but more than that, I want it for this team and head coach. A rotation comprised mostly of upperclassmen who have paid their dues. Several great stories amongst those guys. SV coming over from Uruguay and staying for a fifth season, ZZ going from a guy with almost no D1 interest to an all conference player, Aidoo going from a guy who got snubbed by his home town Blue Devils to an all SEC big man, DK transferring in from lowly Northern Colorado only to become arguably the best player in college basketball, and a head coach with 800+ wins who surely to goodness is due one more Final Four run.

I’m keeping my cup on, but it seems like there’s a lot working in our favor.

I gotta say, unless we just get a terrible draw, I will be disappointed if we don't win a Sweet 16 game this year. I say this knowing how difficult it is for even the best teams to just make it to the Sweet 16. I will lose my mind if we lose to another mid-major.
This is probably a foolish take and one I’ll surely regret, but idk why but mid majors don’t scare me with this team. Feels like Aidoo will get his against most, Awaka too strong, and they’re unlikely to have anybody that can even slow down Knecht a little bit. Like I said, already regret typing it lol, but just a feeling.

This is probably a foolish take and one I’ll surely regret, but idk why but mid majors don’t scare me with this team. Feels like Aidoo will get his against most, Awaka too strong, and they’re unlikely to have anybody that can even slow down Knecht a little bit. Like I said, already regret typing it lol, but just a feeling.
I mostly feel the same, but we have had some problems defending the 3 at times this season. As long as we don’t draw a team that drains like 15 threes, I’ll be confident in an easy win.

I'd put it this way: if we're a 2 seed, we're not going to run into a team that would scare me until the Elite 8 at earliest, and quite possibly beyond that.

If Kentucky, Florida, and Auburn win out (they don’t play each other again), South Carolina wins out other than against Florida (already a given from above), Alabama loses against Tennessee and Florida but beats Arkansas, and Tennessee beats Alabama but loses to South Carolina and Kentucky (all already established above), there would be six (6!) SEC co-champions this year. Tennessee, Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Kentucky, and South Carolina all at 13-5. And say MS State or someone goes on a run and wins the tourney, HALF of the conference would have a conference title this year

Reactions: berryvol
If Kentucky, Florida, and Auburn win out (they don’t play each other again), South Carolina wins out other than against Florida (already a given from above), Alabama loses against Tennessee and Florida but beats Arkansas, and Tennessee beats Alabama but loses to South Carolina and Kentucky (all already established above), there would be six (6!) SEC co-champions this year. Tennessee, Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Kentucky, and South Carolina all at 13-5. And say MS State or someone goes on a run and wins the tourney, HALF of the conference would have a conference title this year
wow!!!
never crossed my worried mind

Yeah, somebody with a good physical post player that takes Aidoo out of his game is my biggest fear. Not likely to be a mid-major. We saw some of that against Auburn during their 23-6 run in the second half. It's still a weakness for this team at times.

I want this team to be the team so badly. Not just because of DK, but because it would be so fitting for ZZ, Santi, and JJJ to be part of the core to get us there.

This team is incredible. I want them to break through.
100%

Santi and JJJ have done so much to preserve and further the culture established by Grant, Admiral, Bone, Alexander, etc... under CRB.
And ZZ has only added to it and somehow made us even tougher while overcoming crazy obstacles from his size to his ACL. Would absolutely love for them to be rewarded for all they have done on and off the court.

Add in a generational UT player like DK and we definitely win it all if this were a movie but, it's not so we'll see where the chips fall but we are in position and we have the horses to make a historic run.

Yeah, somebody with a good physical post player that takes Aidoo out of his game is my biggest fear. Not likely to be a mid-major. We saw some of that against Auburn during their 23-6 run in the second half. It's still a weakness for this team at times.
Broome is really good, up there with some of the others we’ve faced, however I thought Aidoo & Awaka gave us much more in the post than they had against elite bigs most of the season.

Baker-Mazara talked trash non-stop. He really is a narcissistic kid.

Berman hitting the 3 and running back down the court with Dalton. He throws the 3 sign right in Knecht’s face. Laughable.

Broome with ZERO fouls? Yeah, right.

The Johnson kid (31) literally holding, grabbing jerseys in an obvious way in front of the refs and not getting whistled time after time.

Pearl pulling a Buzz Williams and going berserk.

After the buzzer ends the game, Holloway walking over to ZZ and congratulating him. Very classy by Holloway.

This is more for the drive-bys, but Santi and Vescovi scoring 2 points each and Tennessee still wins after taking Auburn’s best punches.

Knecht is special. He’s exciting, electric, bold, confident. He can carry the load and wants to carry the load. That display of basketball he showed the last 12 minutes was the greatest 12-minute period these eyes have ever seen from any Vol in all my years. I’m grateful to have witnessed all this.

Broome with ZERO fouls? Yeah, right.

Yep. Saw that little nugget of info this morning. In a game with 63-combined free throws, the fact that Broome didn’t get a single foul, but Knecht had 3 just show how DK doesn’t get the whistle he deserves.

You cannot tell me Broome didn’t commit ONE foul all game in a game that physical. Not to mention every single time he touched the ball he would turn around and whine to the officials if he missed the basket. And then Bruce in the post-game presser complaining about how Broome was fouled every time he touched the ball but it wasn’t always called.

Just loser stuff.

Yep. Saw that little nugget of info this morning. In a game with 63-combined free throws, the fact that Broome didn’t get a single foul, but Knecht had 3 just show how DK doesn’t get the whistle he deserves.

You cannot tell me Broome didn’t commit ONE foul all game in a game that physical. Not to mention every single time he touched the ball he would turn around and whine to the officials if he missed the basket. And then Bruce in the post-game presser complaining about how Broome was fouled every time he touched the ball but it wasn’t always called.

Just loser stuff.
He definitely fouled Knecht on his shooting hand on one of the 3s he made at the 6:42 mark in the 2nd half to make it 77-72 Tennessee. No call.

I have to add a thought or two about Zakai and his outstanding defense. He was largely responsible for holding Holloway and Donaldson to 5 total points combined in 38 minutes of play. He absolutely throttled those 2 gifted guards as he refused to allow virtually any penetration and constantly frustrated all avenues for them. They were not nearly the factor last night compared to what they’ve done all year. Thanks to ZZ.

On another note, did anyone see that whole sideline altercation right after Pearl’s technical? Lots going on between Pearl, his son Steven, and Broome. To me, it looked like Broome said something to Pearl, walked over to Steven and said something and finally walked off. I’m thinking Broome was basically telling Steven to do something with his dad before he got another technical. There was definitely an altercation amongst players and coaches.

Also, my view of the turnover in front of the Auburn bench where the ref was knocked down was obstructed. It seemed to be clearly Tennessee’s ball, at least from what I could deduce. Anyone have any intel on what happened and why the ball was given back to Auburn?

On another note, did anyone see that whole sideline altercation right after Pearl’s technical? Lots going on between Pearl, his son Steven, and Broome. To me, it looked like Broome said something to Pearl, walked over to Steven and said something and finally walked off. I’m thinking Broome was basically telling Steven to do something with his dad before he got another technical. There was definitely an altercation amongst players and coaches.

Also, my view of the turnover in front of the Auburn bench where the ref was knocked down was obstructed. It seemed to be clearly Tennessee’s ball, at least from what I could deduce. Anyone have any intel on what happened and why the ball was given back to Auburn?
The officials ruled that ZZ touched the ball after discussion, which he obviously did not. However, it wasn't under 2 minutes, so they couldn't review it. Just a bad call, and it resulted in 3 points for AU on the ensuing possession.

The officials ruled that ZZ touched the ball after discussion, which he obviously did not. However, it wasn't under 2 minutes, so they couldn't review it. Just a bad call, and it resulted in 3 points for AU on the ensuing possession.
Yeah, bummer. Could have ultimately been a huge game-changer.

VN Store

Back