The Official #1 Tennessee @ Evansville Knoxville Super Regional Game 2 Thread (Sat. June 8th 11AM EST) (ESPN2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 646963
This was the most up to date list I could find online at the moment so this is possibly the current top 12? I included Georgia since they are still alive in the tournament.

1. 1997 Louisiana State: 188
2. 2024 Tennessee: 166
3. 1988 Brigham Young: 161
4. 1997 Alabama: 160
5. 2022 Tennessee: 158
6. 1998 Louisiana State: 157
7. 1988 Oklahoma State: 154
8. 1997 Oklahoma State: 149
9. 1985 Brigham Young: 148
T-10. 1985 Florida State: 146
T-10. 2024 Austin Peay: 146
12. 2024 Georgia: 145
Very cool..thanks! Something tells me other teams between the 90’s and now have to be up there though…

Why do people keep saying this? We’ve won more games than anybody and got through the SEC tournament. It was a bad day that shouldn’t have happened, nothing more.
I think when we get in the situation where we need a long reliever we are going to struggle. Snead hasn’t been himself lately which was our best option at long relief IMO.

Reactions: TikiVol
I think the key tomorrow is to get a lot of runs early . . . But don’t fall apart like they did today.

The longer it’s a close / tight game . . . The pressure builds on UT.

CMO has to show up. Better defense has to show up.

Reactions: MagnoliaVol
That makes more sense now that I think about it. The worst team should be the 4 seed in our bracket not the 16 seed
Yeah, but like others have said, geography comes into play.

FWIW, their RPI was 76 coming into the tourney. They are up to 52 now (and we dropped to #2 after the loss). I know many don’t care for RPI but it does a pretty good job evaluating a season’s entire body of work. Obviously, UE isn’t playing like that NOW and have been on a bit of a tear lately (but so had we).

Records, RPI, stats….none of that matter. Win and advance, lose and go home.

Couple of thoughts (critical, I know...flame away)

Been well documented but our coaches leave pitchers in too long...Beam and Snead should have been pulled quicker and we likely win the game. We were outcoached today.

Bargo should have hit for Stark in the 9th. I know Cal is hot but was facing a righty with a good slider who had just walked a lefty. Stark was also a double-play threat in that scenario. I guess Bargo is too but he seems to put the ball in the air more. Was actually glad he struck out as it gave us a chance with CMO.

Amick needs to wake up. He is a liability at 3rd and is not disciplined at the plate.

Our pitching isn't good enough to carry us in Omaha. Beam is average and has about 3 good innings before giving up walks and bombs. Snead doesnt seem like himself. Looked like he was topping out at 93 with the FB or avoiding it and throwing all off speed. Why? If you throw 100, go throw 100. You are in the Super Regional.

I think we will win tomorrow as I feel pretty good with Zander, Combs and Loy but makes me nervous for Omaha. Bark back all you want but this is all true and mostly correctable quickly. And I'm not fairweather. 48 years a fan, alum and 3rd of 4 generations of Vol fandom.
It’s not all true. For starters, Snead didn’t top out at 93. Also, Bargo has a pretty high SO% now, so I disagree there. Some of your ”opinions” are not all truths. Oh yeah, our pitching isn’t good enough to carry us in Omaha? It was good enough to help carry us to an SEC title, but not in Omaha? Take a look at overall team pitching in NCAA stats. #3 overall in staff ERA and #1 overall in WHIP in the country before today’s game.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Listening to some fair weather baseball fans clutching their pearls over this loss. It was an odd game but EVN hit the ball when they needed to and our bullpen left too many balls up on the zone.

Vols fought back with a chance to go ahead which may have been too much for EVN. BUT THIS IS FREAKING BASEBALL.

I love the Vols chances.

Go Vols.
This^ also EU had some seeing eye hits some slow rollers negating twin killings and some Texas leaguers. A lot lined up for them but that's why you play the game baseball can be cruel sometimes. Hit a scorcher right to someone impressive but just an out vs hitting a half swing oops that finds its spot just lucky, but it goes down as a hit. We left to many stranded on the bases, not sure if the Homers coming easy early made that a priority. I would have to look closer at the stats but seems like one late inning we had a 3 up 3 down all fly outs.

Reactions: patrick
He’s a local in your area correct?

Yes. Is from Gray.

Partially a homer take I suppose but have been discouraged from the DH production lately.

I trust the staff and know if they thought he was the best option he'd have been in there.

Just grasping at straws.

Yes. Is from Gray.

Partially a homer take I suppose but have been discouraged from the DH production lately.

I trust the staff and know if they thought he was the best option he'd have been in there.

Just grasping at straws.
I will say he deserved more at bats.

Reactions: KptVFL
Base Vols made history today becoming the first number one overall seed to lose to a 4 seed.

The record was 0-30 going into this game.
A little misleading stat, as they used the Regionals as well which would be game 1 of a regional

I know hindsight is 20/20 but the two things I’d like to have seen Tony do differently was go to Behnke in the 5th , that’s a big ask of Kirby after throwing 2+ yesterday and I definitely would have hit for Stark in the 9th since all our lefties drew walks in the 9th

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back