The Official #1 Tennessee @ Evansville Knoxville Super Regional Game 2 Thread (Sat. June 8th 11AM EST) (ESPN2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just don’t comment on the post early in the game thread about blue liking to call balls thrown hard, up and in.

Eventually the internet will work it out. We call it the law of averages in baseball.
It's funny how paranoia makes you suddenly look at innocent words differently.

It's like a person at a party whose only joke line is "That's what she said."

The Law of Averages I'm fine with. It has a cooperative relationship with meritocracy. Algorithms... not so much. Their creators always have some skin in the game and, for good or bad, a purpose.

Reactions: Ritzwatch
Personally I think tomorrow relies on the success of Christian Moore and the DH spot.. Season on the line, has 2 hits through 2 games of the SR for the DH (including Lohry at 2B today) and C-Mo. He has got to be the X-factor he has been all year if they want the season to continue. Evansville doesnt get cheated at the plate, so we are gonna have to score. C-Mo cant be 0 for 4 tomorrow and DH spot cant be an auto out
DH has been a hard spot to fill. I thought Bargo or Peebles would have filled it.

I think it's part of some larger conspiracy theory designed to have the baseball forum surpass the number of cumulative posts of the Lady Vol forum. Paging @MAD
Yeah. That ain't right in June. By now LVs would normally have dropped down a notch in the Forum List, IIRC.

But--hey, the Forum List should look like the air traffic pattern over O'Hare when you're an All Sports university!

Base Vols made history today becoming the first number one overall seed to lose to a 4 seed.

The record was 0-30 going into this game.

Do you have top 5-10 list….Id like to see those numbers
1717882354519.png
This was the most up to date list I could find online at the moment so this is possibly the current top 12? I included Georgia since they are still alive in the tournament.

1. 1997 Louisiana State: 188
2. 2024 Tennessee: 166
3. 1988 Brigham Young: 161
4. 1997 Alabama: 160
5. 2022 Tennessee: 158
6. 1998 Louisiana State: 157
7. 1988 Oklahoma State: 154
8. 1997 Oklahoma State: 149
9. 1985 Brigham Young: 148
T-10. 1985 Florida State: 146
T-10. 2023 Turds: 146
T-10. 2024 Austin Peay: 146
13. 2024 Georgia: 145

Last edited:
Listening to some fair weather baseball fans clutching their pearls over this loss. It was an odd game but EVN hit the ball when they needed to and our bullpen left too many balls up on the zone.

Vols fought back with a chance to go ahead which may have been too much for EVN. BUT THIS IS FREAKING BASEBALL.

I love the Vols chances.

Go Vols.

Couple of thoughts (critical, I know...flame away)

Been well documented but our coaches leave pitchers in too long...Beam and Snead should have been pulled quicker and we likely win the game. We were outcoached today.

Bargo should have hit for Stark in the 9th. I know Cal is hot but was facing a righty with a good slider who had just walked a lefty. Stark was also a double-play threat in that scenario. I guess Bargo is too but he seems to put the ball in the air more. Was actually glad he struck out as it gave us a chance with CMO.

Amick needs to wake up. He is a liability at 3rd and is not disciplined at the plate.

Our pitching isn't good enough to carry us in Omaha. Beam is average and has about 3 good innings before giving up walks and bombs. Snead doesnt seem like himself. Looked like he was topping out at 93 with the FB or avoiding it and throwing all off speed. Why? If you throw 100, go throw 100. You are in the Super Regional.

I think we will win tomorrow as I feel pretty good with Zander, Combs and Loy but makes me nervous for Omaha. Bark back all you want but this is all true and mostly correctable quickly. And I'm not fairweather. 48 years a fan, alum and 3rd of 4 generations of Vol fandom.

The 4 seed in the 16th seed bracket which basically means they were the 64th ranked team in the tourney right?
Not at all, as the committee doesn't do it that way. After the first 16, distance travelled becomes a huge factor.

But yeah, they suck. They are by no means the worst team in the bracket. And even if it worked that way, they would have been our #4. 1 vs 64 is how it would work out in a proper bracket.

Edit: the 16 seed (worst 1 seed) would face the best 4 seed. So, if bracketology held, they'd be the 49th worst team in the tourney.

The 4 seed in the 16th seed bracket which basically means they were the 64th ranked team in the tourney right?

Lowest-ranked 16 would have been in UT's Regional if it worked that way, but there's a high desirability to keep pods geographically-sensible for the 3/4 if possible so it doesn't even 100% track in that sense.

The team's pitching has been the question mark all season--and it was bad today. We've tended to outhit most opponents--look at yesterday, giving up 6 runs but still winning by 5---but at this stage of the NCAA if you're giving up lots of runs you're going to get beat. We need to get much better pitching tomorrow: duh.
I didn’t think Beam pitched that bad until the error on Amick and then the wheels fell off. If Amick turns two there we are out of the inning up 4-1 rather than 4-3.

No way in hell the boys don’t show up for Game 3. I’m expecting a complete beatdown, especially with an evening crowd instead of frickin noon.

Base Vols made history today becoming the first number one overall seed to lose to a 4 seed.

The record was 0-30 going into this game.
Yep, but a Number 4 has won it all Fresno. I guess someone else bumped off the 1. Clearing the path for Fresno State to run the gamut without facing a #1..

Couple of thoughts (critical, I know...flame away)

Been well documented but our coaches leave pitchers in too long...Beam and Snead should have been pulled quicker and we likely win the game. We were outcoached today.

Bargo should have hit for Stark in the 9th. I know Cal is hot but was facing a righty with a good slider who had just walked a lefty. Stark was also a double-play threat in that scenario. I guess Bargo is too but he seems to put the ball in the air more. Was actually glad he struck out as it gave us a chance with CMO.

Amick needs to wake up. He is a liability at 3rd and is not disciplined at the plate.

Our pitching isn't good enough to carry us in Omaha. Beam is average and has about 3 good innings before giving up walks and bombs. Snead doesnt seem like himself. Looked like he was topping out at 93 with the FB or avoiding it and throwing all off speed. Why? If you throw 100, go throw 100. You are in the Super Regional.

I think we will win tomorrow as I feel pretty good with Zander, Combs and Loy but makes me nervous for Omaha. Bark back all you want but this is all true and mostly correctable quickly. And I'm not fairweather. 48 years a fan, alum and 3rd of 4 generations of Vol fandom.
I have said all season this team will live and die by the pitching and without Russel I am not sure we have enough to get it done in Omaha.

I have said all season this team will live and die by the pitching and without Russel I am not sure we have enough to get it done in Omaha.
Why do people keep saying this? We’ve won more games than anybody and got through the SEC tournament. It was a bad day that shouldn’t have happened, nothing more.

Reactions: CDB and KTrain
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back