The Official #4 Tennessee @ Arkansas Game Thread, 7:30 PM ET, ABC

#34 Travis Stephens rose to the occasion his 2001 senior year at Tennessee, becoming the Vols' first All-America tailback since Johnny Majors in 1956. Stephens blasted for 1,464 yards his final year on The Hill in 2001, setting a school single-season record in leading Tennessee to an 11-2 mark and a No. 4 final ranking in both major polls. He also set the record for season attempts with 291 and tied the single-game record with 41 attempts against Arkansas. Stephens topped the 200-yard mark twice and collected more than 100 yards in five other games. He averaged 122 yards a game to lead the SEC, securing his place as a Doak Walker Award finalist.

2001 - RS-SENIOR​

• Earned All-America honors and first-team All-SEC accolades
  • Helped lead the Vols to an 11-2 record and finish ranked No. 4 nationally
  • First All-America running back since Johnny Majors
  • The Vols only finalist for the Doak Walker Award
  • Rushed for 1,454 yards on 291 carries, gaining 10 rushing touchdowns
  • Topped 200 yards twice during the season, first against Arkansas when he rushed 41 times for 206 yards and a score and again on the road at The Swamp as he went for 226 yards on 19 carries, finding the end zone twice as the Vols took down No. 2 Florida
  • Had five games of 100+ yards - Syracuse (111), Georgia (176), Alabama (162), South Carolina (120), Memphis (124)

Lewis, Henry, Stephens, Cobb, Riggs, Hardesty, Stewart - we had quite the collection of beasts at the position over the years. We have a couple of kids now ready to join the club.

Arkansas doesnt have depth or speed that TN has. Neither on defense or on offense.
Not saying they do, but superior talent doesn't always win. Arkansa almost and should have beaten Oklahoma. Ole Miss should not have lost to Kentucky last week. South Carolina and Missouri should not have beaten us. You have to Beat who ever you play. I think we cover the spread, but, it will be a good game.

Lewis, Henry, Stephens, Cobb, Riggs, Hardesty, Stewart - we had quite the collection of beasts at the position over the years. We have a couple of kids now ready to join the club.
Some darn great players you've named. Randy Sander did a heck of a job as recruiting coordinator and running backs coach.

Anybody in Fayetteville this morning? Weather looks decent with some showers possible. We need to play every game like we are playing Jack The Giant killers. We have a target on our back. Hogs don’t.

I’m in Arkansas on the way to the game. My daughter got tickets for me, wife, daughter and her husband. Excited for a big orange day but a little nervous especially on enemy turf.
giphy.gif

WGWTFA

Not saying they do, but superior talent doesn't always win. Arkansa almost and should have beaten Oklahoma. Ole Miss should not have lost to Kentucky last week. South Carolina and Missouri should not have beaten us. You have to Beat who ever you play. I think we cover the spread, but, it will be a good game.
The olllld if and then scenarios. Bru, if anyone is a BVS sufferer it's me. Arkansas may be a notch above Oklahoma. But, if we go in and execute our game plan, we win.

Arkansas will be ready, we will get their best effort. But that best effort will peter out around 3rd Q when that damndable DL whips they ****ing asses.

If OL can block and get any semblance of push. I think its a long day.

Last edited:
The olllld if and then scenarios. Bru, if anyone is a BVS sufferer it's me. Arkansas may be a notch above Oklahoma. But, if we go in and execute our game plan, we win.

Arkansas will be ready, we will get their best effort. But that best effort will peter out around 3rd Q when that damndable DL whips they ****ing asses.

If OL can block and get any semblance of push. I think its a long day.
I do not disagree with that. However, there are a lot of “ifs” in you reply. I think we win, but I do not think it will be easy unless our offense becomes much more efficient than they have be the last two games.

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
The Vols had one of their best teams in 2001. They had an early season game in Fayetteville that was delayed and almost postponed until Sunday morning because of weather. It didn’t start until about 9.30 central time. Tennessee had to fight tooth and nail before winning 13-3. Tonight’s game reminds me of that one. I hope the outcome is not in doubt. This old heart can’t stand a lot of suspense.

That was really cool seeing the kid on Game Day kick the field goal on his bonus attempt to win $100k/an extra $100k for the Appalachia donation. I do like the idea of Game Day coming to the mega SEC games, but sometimes it's nice to see an unknown element get the spotlight.

I saw all of these backs and Cobb would be my first pick. The man was a ghost out there.

VN Store

Back