The Official #7 Tennessee vs. Syracuse Game Thread, 2:30 PM ET, ESPN2

I'm starting to wonder if this court is regulation size. I know Univ. of Hawaill plays here, but Purdue just stepped on the sideline, Cuse did it once (I think) and we did it 5 times (Gainey 3 times, himself). You might go an enter season and not see that 5 times, and we've seen it 7 times in less than three halves of basketball.

I don't agree with this. We basicly went with 6 guys in that second half. We had no depth. Gainey may have gave us a little but but I don't remember him out there much. We finished them off because our main guys stepped up.

We had no depth because we had 3 players hurt lol. Im saying that if this was last year and we were down 3 players we never could have survived. Estrella gave some really huge minutes in the first half.

My favorite thing about this game and the Wisconsin game, is that we took over in the final 10 minutes.

Last couple years, no matter what our lead was, you got nervous in our ability to close.

I was amazed with Santi today. No matter what his stats are, his impact was greater than that. But it came when Knecht was off the floor. I don’t think that’s necessarily a coincidence. It doesn’t feel like they’ve figured out how to play together. The ball doesn’t move as much with Knecht on the floor. If we can solve that, look out.

JJJ was incredible. Aidoo coming off Illness and having to play heavy minutes was very good.

Estrella held his own.

I think we got the favorable whistle in this game. Syracuse also was miserable from the line which helped us out.

We left a lot of points on the floor instead of on the scoreboard with weird stuff like stepping out of bounds etc..

I hope Gonzaga wins. I don’t love the idea of going up against Edey without Awaka.

He did get hit in the face though so he might have thought it was the elbow. Cause as they fell Mintz flailed and raked him on the way down.

I think Awaka is probably the only player I've yet to see sell a foul so I don't really care. Grant was notorious for it, as was Fulky.
I think he got hit slightly too. I don’t think he reacts like he did without contact. Trying to find it again.

Edit: the replay is strange, but I think he got brushed by the offensive player’s shoulder. Vescovi immediately touches his eye/head as he went down. Maybe he saw the elbow flash before his eyes and freaked out.

Last edited:
Reactions: MoCo_Vol
I'm starting to wonder if this court is regulation size. I know Univ. of Hawaill plays here, but Purdue just stepped on the sideline, Cuse did it once (I think) and we did it 5 times (Gainey 3 times, himself). You might go an enter season and not see that 5 times, and we've seen it 7 times in less than three halves of basketball.

It might be the court color or the two 3 point lines tripping them out

Reactions: Voljayton
We had no depth because we had 3 players hurt lol. Im saying that if this was last year and we were down 3 players we never could have survived. Estrella gave some really huge minutes in the first half.
Yes, Estrella is a good example of what your saying but I just think we won this particular game with solid play from our main guys and not depth. I think we will when plenty with depth when we are healthy.

It’s definitely very odd. I can’t say for certain but it definitely looks like the space between the out of bounds and 3 point line in the corners is pretty thin. Only other thing I can think is something with the design of the court (which is a bit odd from a color scheme) is throwing players off and thinking they are in position.

It might be the court color or the two 3 point lines tripping them out
That's another thing...why two 3-pt lines if the closer one is the NCAA men's line? The other line looks too close to be the NBA line, and even if it is the NBA line...why? Has an NBA team ever played in that arena? Just so unnecessary.

Game thread, LOL. You are way late to this party. How about going back 5 years and finding some posts to “bump”. You’ll probably find some good laughs.
Yeah but that’s not “this team”. We will see what’s up the next couple of days. Great start though!

What depth? With the injuries it's 7 guys and inexperienced Freshmen. Although we did get some good minutes from one of those guys today.
What depth?????🤭🤭🤭🤭 Non-starters: Ziegler, Gainey, Estrella, Awaka, Phillips, Carr and Jefferson. Bilas mentioned Carr a couple of times today as a big time player hungry for minutes. Bless your heart

But I realize we are looking at this from two different perspectives. Your saying we had three out and still had enough good players to finish the game. I get you. There is having depth and there is using depth to win a game. This was more having depth.

But I realize we are looking at this from two different perspectives. Your saying we had three out and still had enough good players to finish the game. I get you. There is having depth and there is using depth to win a game. This was more having depth.

I think this is my point. We weren’t that deep of a team last year. Imagine if in addition to ZZ (Dillione) going down last year, we also lost Vescovi (last year’s Knecht), and then didn’t have Awaka. We lose all 3 of those players and don’t have them for basically the entire 2nd half today, not sure we win last year. This year we do.

Reactions: ColinS
I’ll also just say it never really clicked for me today until after the game that we tipped off at 9:30 AM local time. That explains a lot of our terrible start. I should have been less upset knowing that fact. Good thing we play at a normal time tomorrow.

I don't agree with this. We basicly went with 6 guys in that second half. We had no depth. Gainey may have gave us a little but but I don't remember him out there much. We finished them off because our main guys stepped up.
You don't remember Gainey's drive and DUNK with the left hand. Huge boost! We dominated without our best player for most of the 2nd half. It's obvious you're determined to find a negative. It's also obvious you really haven't got a clue if this is an honest assessment from you

Reactions: spyfish007
The court has a NBA 3 point line an the players are not used to it being that far out. The same thing is happening in the Purdue / Zags game.

I'll take a large plate with some Tobasco.
If he'll show up like that all year they'll have a great season 👍
Bad news. I am putting ghost pepper sauce on the table and will keep serving it every misstep you make for a while. Kind of like the repackaged redundant messages of our prolific NEGAS feature in their daily walk. Only seems fair.

VN Store

Back