The Official #7 Tennessee vs. Syracuse Game Thread, 2:30 PM ET, ESPN2

I’ll also just say it never really clicked for me today until after the game that we tipped off at 9:30 AM local time. That explains a lot of our terrible start. I should have been less upset knowing that fact. Good thing we play at a normal time tomorrow.

Never thought about that aspect.

Thanks for posting that point.

Mashack offered absolutely nothing on the offensive end today. Hard to justify keeping him as the starting 1 moving forward if he doesn’t pick it up.

I don’t see much, if any improvement regarding his offensive skill set compared to last year, imo.

I’ll also just say it never really clicked for me today until after the game that we tipped off at 9:30 AM local time. That explains a lot of our terrible start. I should have been less upset knowing that fact. Good thing we play at a normal time tomorrow.
I didn't think of that either.

My favorite thing about this game and the Wisconsin game, is that we took over in the final 10 minutes.

Last couple years, no matter what our lead was, you got nervous in our ability to close.

I was amazed with Santi today. No matter what his stats are, his impact was greater than that. But it came when Knecht was off the floor. I don’t think that’s necessarily a coincidence. It doesn’t feel like they’ve figured out how to play together. The ball doesn’t move as much with Knecht on the floor. If we can solve that, look out.

JJJ was incredible. Aidoo coming off Illness and having to play heavy minutes was very good.

Estrella held his own.

I think we got the favorable whistle in this game. Syracuse also was miserable from the line which helped us out.

We left a lot of points on the floor instead of on the scoreboard with weird stuff like stepping out of bounds etc..

I hope Gonzaga wins. I don’t love the idea of going up against Edey without Awaka.

I think Santi is being too passive and maybe waiting on Knecht to make the plays. You are correct, when they figure it out we will be scary.

Reactions: 67Vol
Thing is when he's "on" JJJ with his size and ability is just as good as DK. I would give DK the edge on offense, but JJJ the edge on defense.

But he hasn't been consistent and he has had some really bad showings. Maybe less pressure and being in better health will lead to him being a constant 2nd or 3rd option. If that is the case then if we stay healthy we could be a very good team and make a run.

We'll need Santi to step up his offensive production though and ZZ to just play smarter (6 turnovers today)

If you just looked at the score, it would appear, we handled them easily, but if you watched the game, it was actually very very competitive. This was a very good win for us.

There were times we did not play well, but we made corrections and did not have big long luls of not scoring…maybe just a few minutes. Which happens to the best of teams.

Mashack offered absolutely nothing on the offensive end today. Hard to justify keeping him as the starting 1 moving forward if he doesn’t pick it up.

I don’t see much, if any improvement regarding his offensive skill set compared to last year, imo.
3-5 for 8 points and didn't miss a FT...did you even watch the game?

He took over in the 2nd half and scored 6 straight when we were in a slump. He was the most efficient scorer on the court for us.

I would disagree. He had a stretch in the second half where he scored 6 straight right as Cuse pulled close. Sure, he didn’t light up the room, but if he averages 8-10 points this year and plays the elite defense he has been playing, that’s enough.

I would disagree. He had a stretch in the second half where he scored 6 straight right as Cuse pulled close. Sure, he didn’t light up the room, but if he averages 8-10 points this year and plays the elite defense he has been playing, that’s enough.
Mashack was big in this game. He is the best defender on the team, can handle, and gives us 8-10 like you said.

You must not have watched the game. He did exactly what we need him to do on the offensive end. In case you haven't noticed, we have a lot of guys who can score in different ways

Last edited:

8 points, 4 rebounds, and our best defensive player. He’s playing a bunch of minutes. Had a huge answer going to the basket when Syracuse cut it to 5.

Just send an Uber. 😁

I probably wouldn’t be here with you all right now if I had done that HA. Also, maybe we should thank her. The moment I left the house we turned a corner and never looked back. I guess I was the problem the whole time!

It was better for my blood pressure to step away, too. I think I had some residual anger from the egg our football team has laid two weeks in a row which impacted my attitude early on lol.

He had 8 points and 4 rebs, 1 assist and only 1 TO on 3-5 shooting. His ball-handling has improved tremendously. What were you expecting and who would you give his minutes to? ZZ has been much worse, understandably so.

What depth?????🤭🤭🤭🤭 Non-starters: Ziegler, Gainey, Estrella, Awaka, Phillips, Carr and Jefferson. Bilas mentioned Carr a couple of times today as a big time player hungry for minutes. Bless your heart
If your coach doesn't have enough confidence to put them in the game then it's not depth. We have tons of talent on the bench but with these injuries we are not deep for the rest of this tournament.

Wait: This game started at 9:30 a.m.? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Why?
Because you said it's a disadvantage for Tennessee. Syracuse started at the same time. If your saying both teams are sluggish it makes sense.

Another player just stepped out of bounds in the exact same spot. Even Bilas and his counterpart asked if this court was “a little bit smaller.”

Reactions: DuckInAPen

I must have watched a different game cause he had several offensive rebounds and put backs. Hit a couple of big free throws down the stretch and played locked down defense on their best player for most of the game.

VN Store

Back