The Official Evansville @ #1 Tennessee Super Regional Game 1 Thread (Fri. June 7 3PM EST) (ESPN2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that what brought you to Germany? I was born in Germany because my dad served there. He went directly to the NSA installation near Munich after graduating from West Point.
Yep! That would have been a great assignment for your Dad! We used to have really nice bases as far as locations overseas. Now they are mostly crap. Gave away Augsburg, Bad Tolz, Frankfurt, Wurzburg, Nurnberg, Heidelberg to name a few.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Yep, that’s me too! Be fair, some of these rules you have to go back and dig up history to see where they come from. The dropped ball rule on the third strike? We didn’t cover that in middle school PE.

And CTV‘s brand of baseball makes it exciting for UT fans. I’m not sure I’d be watching if we were only winning 2-0 or 3-2 ball games. ( I know those games happen, but knowing any of our players could hit a dinger at any at bat keeps me watching)

BTW- I know why managers wear uniforms! So I’m learning fast! 😉
I mean if you are from Germany I understand…but if you are American and do not know the rules of baseball then I do not know what to say to people.

Yep! That would have been a great assignment for your Dad! We used to have really nice bases as far as locations overseas. Now they are mostly crap. Gave away Augsburg, Bad Tolz, Frankfurt, Wurzburg, Nurnberg, Heidelberg to name a few.

That's bad! Yep, it was Augsburb for us, although I have no memory of it since we moved back to the States when I was 2. We did go back there on a later family trip to Europe.

I mean if you are from Germany I understand…but if you are American and do not know the rules of baseball then I do not know what to say to people.

You never realize how many crazy rules there are in baseball until you try to explain them to someone who knows nothing a baseball. I learned that when I tried to explain it to the wife when the kids were in little league (She's not from the US, so she's covered by your exception). There's all sorts of random stuff that can be confusing to the noobs.

You never realize how many crazy rules there are in baseball until you try to explain them to someone who knows nothing a baseball. I learned that when I tried to explain it to the wife when the kids were in little league (She's not from the US, so she's covered by your exception). There's all sorts of random stuff that can be confusing to the noobs.
Yes but could you imagine being from Germany and having to explain soccer to a grownup…I do not think so…lol…Every sport has unique rules but I am not sure how anybody in America doesn’t know 99 percent of them especially if they are at games and following teams…Educate yourself like you do with everything in life…this is too much to ask of people…I’m very aware…lol. Its an epidemic worldwide.

Yes but could you imagine being from Germany and having to explain soccer to a grownup…I do not think so…lol…Every sport has unique rules but I am not sure how anybody in America doesn’t know 99 percent of them especially if they are at games and following teams…Educate yourself like you do with everything in life…this is too much to ask of people…I’m very aware…lol. Its an epidemic worldwide.

I do think that baseball has more oddball rules than, say basketball. But, there's a lot of people who don't like sports, and they're not gonna know the rules.

I do think that baseball has more oddball rules than, say basketball. But, there's a lot of people who don't like sports, and they're not gonna know the rules.
Then don’t go to the games…I don’t like Taylor Swift music so I’m not at her concerts asking people what the lyrics are. When you start thinking about any sport though there are many rules associated with it. More than any of us would think. Basketball between charging vs block, 10 secs to cross mid court, 3 in the key, then what type of offense you run, defense etc…it would confuse a person who didnt know. More nuance in baseball but that’s what makes it special. I get all your points though. Would you say your wife has a firm grasp on baseball now and what does she think of American sports in general.

Then don’t go to the games…I don’t like Taylor Swift music so I’m not at her concerts asking people what the lyrics are. When you start thinking about any sport though there are many rules associated with it. More than any of us would think. Basketball between charging vs block, 10 secs to cross mid court, 3 in the key, then what type of offense you run, defense etc…it would confuse a person who didnt know. More nuance in baseball but that’s what makes it special. I get all your points though. Would you say your wife has a firm grasp on baseball now and what does she think of American sports in general.

Yeah, I guess your main point was that those people shouldn’t be at games as important as postseason, which is correct. They just heard it was a big deal and want to join in. My wife likes basketball the most and understands it well since her dad was an NBA fan. She’s ok with baseball and comes to 1 UT game a year with us (LSU this year), but gets a little confused sometimes. She hates football. Took her to the Texas/A&M game when we were in Austin and she said it was super boring. Her sister describes football as: a bunch of really big men suddenly all jump on top of one another, and then they do that over and over for a few hours….

With Chase Burns eliminated as the planned media story for this week, is anybody surprised by the top story on today's (Tuesday's) NCAA D1 Baseball home page? 😂

Screen Shot 2024-06-05 at 1.30.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-06-05 at 2.09.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-06-05 at 1.51.47 AM.png
Fun and games. LFG! 🍊

Last edited:
I’m being dead serious. Abiut a month ago, a young lady sitting behind me said, ”the pitcher’s name must be Queso!” Lol.
Funny. Sheb Wooley's classic tune was pretty funny, too...but Purple Aces won't be laughing on Friday.

Attachments

• Purple People Eater.jpg
    Purple People Eater.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
First off, I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you’re not trying to intentionally be condescending.

Second, I’m not FROM Germany, I just happen to live here. Surprise, there are Tennesseans that live in other places.

I’m retired Army and grew up in Morristown and am a graduate of Carson-Newman and UT Memphis. I learned the basic rules of baseball as a kid, but never was interested in watching any baseball, hence there are many nuances of the game I had not learned. I’ve been watching football for over 50 years and I daresay I know all the rules. I was holed up in ‘22 with Covid and got addicted to Vol baseball, so I consider myself a newcomer. And baseball has a lot of strange rules and customs! And I’m picking them up.

What you implied is that I’m not American if I don’t know all the rules (99%) of baseball. That’s crazy. That’s like saying you can’t like country music if you don’t know the difference between the Nashville sound and the Bakersfield sound, and can’t like guitar music if you don’t know what Travis picking is or what bar chords are.

Whether you intended to be insulting or not, I don’t know. Most of the people I have met on this site have been welcoming, but that comment was not.

Guess what? I don’t know any rules to hockey either.

Yeah, I guess your main point was that those people shouldn’t be at games as important as postseason, which is correct. They just heard it was a big deal and want to join in. My wife likes basketball the most and understands it well since her dad was an NBA fan. She’s ok with baseball and comes to 1 UT game a year with us (LSU this year), but gets a little confused sometimes. She hates football. Took her to the Texas/A&M game when we were in Austin and she said it was super boring. Her sister describes football as: a bunch of really big men suddenly all jump on top of one another, and then they do that over and over for a few hours….
What’s wrong with people who enjoy the atmosphere and want to cheer on the Vols being there? Do we need to take a sports rules test to attend now? That will eliminate about a third of the people at Neyland on Saturdays.

i think it’s great your wife attends some games with you. My daughter attended the Ole Miss football game with me in 21, did not understand it at all, but had a blast! My wife will not go. 🙁

First off, I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you’re not trying to intentionally be condescending.

Second, I’m not FROM Germany, I just happen to live here. Surprise, there are Tennesseans that live in other places.

I’m retired Army and grew up in Morristown and am a graduate of Carson-Newman and UT Memphis. I learned the basic rules of baseball as a kid, but never was interested in watching any baseball, hence there are many nuances of the game I had not learned. I’ve been watching football for over 50 years and I daresay I know all the rules. I was holed up in ‘22 with Covid and got addicted to Vol baseball, so I consider myself a newcomer. And baseball has a lot of strange rules and customs! And I’m picking them up.

What you implied is that I’m not American if I don’t know all the rules (99%) of baseball. That’s crazy. That’s like saying you can’t like country music if you don’t know the difference between the Nashville sound and the Bakersfield sound, and can’t like guitar music if you don’t know what Travis picking is or what bar chords are.

Whether you intended to be insulting or not, I don’t know. Most of the people I have met on this site have been welcoming, but that comment was not.

Guess what? I don’t know any rules to hockey either.
Thank you for your service.

I’m guessing cricket isn’t in your wheelhouse either! 😉

Heard guy having to explain the infield fly rule this weekend…also had another person ask why do the managers wear a uniform…everybody I talked to sans @fryeguy93 said they had only been following baseball for 3 years…man alive…lol
We all have questions.

I was sitting in stands with a fellow poster on Friday when I had a thought about Cannon being the DH. I had mentioned it before on the board as a switch hitter, he would offer the most flexibility at DH and he has proven at NC State that he was a great bat.

Then it occurred to me that being DH makes it more difficult for him to change to catcher if Cal was banged up. Why? Because if Cannon moved to catcher- or other position, then we would lost the DH for the rest of the game. A young man overhearing our conversation confirmed this. So I clearly don't know anymore than most people.

Keep in mind- and this is rather embarrassing to admit, I never played baseball. My mother was not keen about my twin brother and me playing any sports especially football and I grew up in an area where baseball was not often played. I watched baseball as a kid on TV with my grandfather but I did not really get into baseball until I was a UT student. By the way, the youth league football coaches were often upset that a kid my size was not playing football. But I have better knees and ankles than guys my size and age have so I'm doing OK. Thanks mom!

I love VOL baseball so much because
(1) Tennessee won the first game I ever attended (midweek against Clemson) in extraordinary fashion.
(2) I was in on the ground floor of a building program in the 90s. New stadium, charismatic coach, very talented players who were winning titles. I was able to take this early momentum and coast through some bad times.
(3) I made a lot of lifelong friends at baseball games
(4) I was friends with several players as a student and they were great guys with hot girlfriends
(5) I am a full blown history geek (with a history degree)and no sport satisfies these urges like baseball.

message Freak. There used to be a @mad4vols and @GregAmsler on the board but they both went into the VN witness protection program.
Hey, Star. I used to post under GregAmsler, but changed my moniker because too many thought I was the real Greg Amsler and I didn’t want to give that impression. Anyway, I’m here!

Heard guy having to explain the infield fly rule this weekend…also had another person ask why do the managers wear a uniform…everybody I talked to sans @fryeguy93 said they had only been following baseball for 3 years…man alive…lol
I’m glad the BaseVols are growing the game. Lots of newbies at LNS and I’m thankful for it. 🍊👍👊😀😀👍🍊👍

We all have questions.

I was sitting in stands with a fellow poster on Friday when I had a thought about Cannon being the DH. I had mentioned it before on the board as a switch hitter, he would offer the most flexibility at DH and he has proven at NC State that he was a great bat.

Then it occurred to me that being DH makes it more difficult for him to change to catcher if Cal was banged up. Why? Because if Cannon moved to catcher- or other position, then we would lost the DH for the rest of the game. A young man overhearing our conversation confirmed this. So I clearly don't know anymore than most people.

Keep in mind- and this is rather embarrassing to admit, I never played baseball. My mother was not keen about my twin brother and me playing any sports especially football and I grew up in an area where baseball was not often played. I watched baseball as a kid on TV with my grandfather but I did not really get into baseball until I was a UT student. By the way, the youth league football coaches were often upset that a kid my size was not playing football. But I have better knees and ankles than guys my size and age have so I'm doing OK. Thanks mom!

(1) Tennessee won the first game I ever attended (midweek against Clemson) in extraordinary fashion.
(2) I was in on the ground floor of a building program in the 90s. New stadium, charismatic coach, very talented players who were winning titles. I was able to take this early momentum and coast through some bad times.
(4) I was friends with several players as a student and they were great guys with hot girlfriends
(5) I am a full blown history geek (with a history degree)and no sport satisfies these urges like baseball.
Ya left out stats. Lots of stats… 🤣

Nah. We need the newbies to grow the game and pass on the passion to the next generation. When they show interest in learning about our great game, I enjoy answering their questions and appreciate their curiousity.. Just my 2 cents…

I mean even if they’d only been following 3 years how would they not know any of that? Unless by follow they mean follow in the post season only. Either way the more the marrier, the train is never full!

We all have questions.

Nice! I met a guy here in Germany (Kaiserslautern area) who was a baseball player at UT during that time but it never panned out for him due to injuries. What was funny was that we met at a mutual German friends house for a barbecue and here were two Americans from Tennessee talking sports all afternoon long in English. (Which is good since my German is crap) He talked about Peyton Manning being there when he was there, so mid nineties.

We all have questions.

I had to look that one up to be sure but in that scenario the DH would take the defensive position continue to batting in the same order and the pitcher then bats for the vacated player. Not a big rule book but there is plenty in there that guys like me, the average fan don't know or remember. No such thing as a stupid question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back