The Official Evansville @ #1 Tennessee Super Regional Game 1 Thread (Fri. June 7 3PM EST) (ESPN2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean even if they’d only been following 3 years how would they not know any of that? Unless by follow they mean follow in the post season only. Either way the more the marrier, the train is never full!
Exactly…it’s not about following the Vols and college baseball…how are you an American adult and don’t know the rules of baseball.

I had to look that one up to be sure but in that scenario the DH would take the defensive position continue to batting in the same order and the pitcher then bats for the vacated player. Not a big rule book but there is plenty in there that guys like me, the average fan don't know or remember. No such thing as a stupid question.
Ugh on that idea.

Reese has been ok. Tony definitely has us well stacked with depth in left-handed hitting.

Besides a few boneheaded actions, I still wonder if Bachus (sp?) isn't our best right-handed power man currently sitting on the bench.

First off, I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you’re not trying to intentionally be condescending.

Second, I’m not FROM Germany, I just happen to live here. Surprise, there are Tennesseans that live in other places.

I’m retired Army and grew up in Morristown and am a graduate of Carson-Newman and UT Memphis. I learned the basic rules of baseball as a kid, but never was interested in watching any baseball, hence there are many nuances of the game I had not learned. I’ve been watching football for over 50 years and I daresay I know all the rules. I was holed up in ‘22 with Covid and got addicted to Vol baseball, so I consider myself a newcomer. And baseball has a lot of strange rules and customs! And I’m picking them up.

What you implied is that I’m not American if I don’t know all the rules (99%) of baseball. That’s crazy. That’s like saying you can’t like country music if you don’t know the difference between the Nashville sound and the Bakersfield sound, and can’t like guitar music if you don’t know what Travis picking is or what bar chords are.

Whether you intended to be insulting or not, I don’t know. Most of the people I have met on this site have been welcoming, but that comment was not.

Guess what? I don’t know any rules to hockey either.
Yeah because hockey is a Canadian game...Baseball is American…we aren’t talking about the difference in things like your country music analogy. There is only one baseball. If a rule change comes around that is new then I can see it but if you have been watching the game for 3 years and somehow still don’t know the rules then that is on you. Enjoy your day in Germany though!

Thanks for your service as well…you afford us things like the freedom we have to say things on this little message board of ours! Always appreciated!

Last edited:
I’m glad the BaseVols are growing the game. Lots of newbies at LNS and I’m thankful for it. 🍊👍👊😀😀👍🍊👍
Yes but Americans shouldn’t be new to the main rules and game of baseball itself. It has nothing to do with growing the college game or Vols. There is lots and I mean lots of baseball on many levels in this country. Strange to see grownups not know some things.

Reactions: Tombo7
I’d like to see Peebles DH too but evidently Tony isn’t gonna use his back up catcher in that spot , Peebles on base percentage is pretty good his last 10 or so games , he sees several pitches each at bat and gets on base , I’m not a fan of how they’ve used that DH spot lately , I mean one at bat then pinch hit ,that’s a confidence killer to me , those 3 or 4 guys are under more pressure to perform than our other 8 hitters combined

We all have questions.

I was sitting in stands with a fellow poster on Friday when I had a thought about Cannon being the DH. I had mentioned it before on the board as a switch hitter, he would offer the most flexibility at DH and he has proven at NC State that he was a great bat.

Then it occurred to me that being DH makes it more difficult for him to change to catcher if Cal was banged up. Why? Because if Cannon moved to catcher- or other position, then we would lost the DH for the rest of the game. A young man overhearing our conversation confirmed this. So I clearly don't know anymore than most people.

Keep in mind- and this is rather embarrassing to admit, I never played baseball. My mother was not keen about my twin brother and me playing any sports especially football and I grew up in an area where baseball was not often played. I watched baseball as a kid on TV with my grandfather but I did not really get into baseball until I was a UT student. By the way, the youth league football coaches were often upset that a kid my size was not playing football. But I have better knees and ankles than guys my size and age have so I'm doing OK. Thanks mom!

I love VOL baseball so much because
(1) Tennessee won the first game I ever attended (midweek against Clemson) in extraordinary fashion.
(2) I was in on the ground floor of a building program in the 90s. New stadium, charismatic coach, very talented players who were winning titles. I was able to take this early momentum and coast through some bad times.
(3) I made a lot of lifelong friends at baseball games
(4) I was friends with several players as a student and they were great guys with hot girlfriends
(5) I am a full blown history geek (with a history degree)and no sport satisfies these urges like baseball.
I was thinking more about that and for the Vols purposes it really wouldn’t matter as much as you think. Sure you would lose the DH, but the way Tony uses pitchers and with the fact we have so many guys that can DH…you would just switch in a new DH for the pitcher and bring a new pitcher in the next half inning. Even in the worst of situations you would probably only have to do that 2 times max. It’s a good thing to have Cannon waiting in the wings but ultimately if he was the man for the job and Tony thought so, he would be our DH.

Yeah, I guess your main point was that those people shouldn’t be at games as important as postseason, which is correct. They just heard it was a big deal and want to join in. My wife likes basketball the most and understands it well since her dad was an NBA fan. She’s ok with baseball and comes to 1 UT game a year with us (LSU this year), but gets a little confused sometimes. She hates football. Took her to the Texas/A&M game when we were in Austin and she said it was super boring. Her sister describes football as: a bunch of really big men suddenly all jump on top of one another, and then they do that over and over for a few hours….
That’s hilarious man. Sorry fell asleep and now seeing all of this at work. Knoxville is a tough town to live in come fall if you hate football…lol.

Last edited:
lol…people realize we have been to the CWS since ND right…it was a one off where you couldn’t see guys being suspended and others missing games etc…team was thrown off the entire weekend because of unforeseen circumstances…way to set them straight man…good lord
We also lost because we did not play with composure when the game required it.

Ends up there won’t be a watch party near LNS. I knew that it would be impossible out on the street down the third base side because of construction, but two years ago they also had it in the grassy area behind the fraternity houses past the parking lot outside of right field.

OK, since it’s not Friday yet and y’all are discussing obscure baseball rules, does anyone know how it is possible to get a double play when the infield fly rule is called? That happened in MLB twice in a week recently.

If you do know how this can happen, then you know something that 99% of baseball fans (and probably a few umpires) don’t even know.

"..but why did the baserunner run back to the base just because their guy caught the ball? He had plenty of time to make it to the next base."

Reactions: SoFloVFL
Nice! I met a guy here in Germany (Kaiserslautern area) who was a baseball player at UT during that time but it never panned out for him due to injuries. What was funny was that we met at a mutual German friends house for a barbecue and here were two Americans from Tennessee talking sports all afternoon long in English. (Which is good since my German is crap) He talked about Peyton Manning being there when he was there, so mid nineties.
I studied in Berlin for a year in grad school. Those 1 a.m. starts for 7 p.m. Knoxville games are something!

Last edited:
OK, since it’s not Friday yet and y’all are discussing obscure baseball rules, does anyone know how it is possible to get a double play when the infield fly rule is called? That happened in MLB twice in a week recently.

If you do know how this can happen, then you know something that 99% of baseball fans (and probably a few umpires) don’t even know.
Did you see that recent A’s game where the umps didn’t call the infield fly and they got a double play because of it…lol

Their bandwagon fans haven’t found them yet😉

There are a few corporate seats in the row behind us. At Friday’s UT game, during the bottom half of the first, the people using the tickets arrived. One asked if batting practice was still going on.
LOL

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Nah. We need the newbies to grow the game and pass on the passion to the next generation. When they show interest in learning about our great game, I enjoy answering their questions and appreciate their curiousity.. Just my 2 cents…
I will always appreciate your help with my first ever Vols baseball tickets for Supers last year. It was thrilling to be there. I wish I could make it this year.

This forum can multiply someone's love for and knowledge of the game 1000%. All they have to do is pay attention to people who know what they're talking about. Also I'd recommend listening to CTV after every game.

I will say, fyi, that a lot of the drive-bys who come in blasting nonsense and trolling at the first sign of bad news here do the same exact thing in football threads. It's the loser types not football that is the root of the problem.

Hats off and salute to everyone for being so welcoming here. GB🍊!

Last edited:
Yes but Americans shouldn’t be new to the main rules and game of baseball itself. It has nothing to do with growing the college game or Vols. There is lots and I mean lots of baseball on many levels in this country. Strange to see grownups not know some things.
Like the courtesy of respecting another’s perspective?

Sure they can. Not everyone grew up with the game like a lot of us on this forum. You said they shouldn't go to the game if they don’t know the rules. I couldn’t disagree more. (Respectfully of course). 😀👍🍊👊 If college baseball is going to grow, we need the newbies to attend, and learn about the beauty of baseball. I welcome anyone and everyone at LNS. I’m no baseball snob (coffee and cigar snob for sure). 👍🍊🍊😀👊😃🍊🍊 GBO!

I will always appreciate your help with my first ever Vols baseball tickets for Supers last year. It was thrilling to be there. I wish I could make it this year.

This forum can multiply someone's love for and knowledge of the game 1000%. All they have to do is pay attention to people who know what they're talking about. Also I'd recommend listening to CTV after every game.

Hats off and salute to everyone for being so welcoming here. GB🍊!
It was sincerely my pleasure. I‘m so glad you got to experience a Super! A nice gentleman sold me a pair of tickets at a very reasonable price back in 2021 for the Regionals, so I could experience the BaseVols with my daughter. He could have sold it for 5 times what he charged me. The incredible experience motivated me to buy season tickets for the following season. I try to pass it along especially to newbies, first times, first responders, veterans, etc. GBO!

Sure they can. Not everyone grew up with the game like a lot of us on this forum. You said they shouldn't go to the game if they don’t know the rules. I couldn’t disagree more. (Respectfully of course). 😀👍🍊👊 If college baseball is going to grow, we need the newbies to attend, and learn about the beauty of baseball. I welcome anyone and everyone at LNS. I’m no baseball snob (coffee and cigar snob for sure). 👍🍊🍊😀👊😃🍊🍊 GBO!
I saw what I needed to see at LNS to know the fans will only be there if we keep putting the best team in the country on the field. They will go away as soon as we don’t. That is just the sad truth. I welcome them but I am the type of person who would educate myself on something if I kept going as well.

Like the courtesy of respecting another’s perspective?
If you are alluding to the freedoms of this country then I would say the freedom to have discourse with people or even disagreements in a public forum. I’m sure that’s what you actually meant. Unless you want to hurl something below the belt then all should be fair game.

I’m sure that out of the 100,000 or so that attend the UT football games, there are still quite a few people, especially students, who go to the game for the fun and excitement, even if they don’t know all the rules. I think that‘s great. Many of those people will become diehards eventually.

I’ve heard casual fans ask why there is a 10-second runoff rule, and my response is something like, “Don’t get me started on that one…”

my only guess would be that the runner on first somehow passes the runner on second. Hitter is out and then the runner from first would be out.

The runners can advance at their own risk is one way and the other would be interference by the base runner could lead to a double play , an infield fly doesn’t have to be caught for the batter to be out but it has to be a fair ball

my only guess would be that the runner on first somehow passes the runner on second. Hitter is out and then the runner from first would be out.
Runner could not pay attention to the call and not get back to the bag….runner could possibly not pay attention and interfere with the catch itself…plenty of strange ways it could occur but really only if somebody was not paying attention

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back