The Official Evansville @ #1 Tennessee Super Regional Game 1 Thread (Fri. June 7 3PM EST) (ESPN2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The runners can advance at their own risk is one way and the other would be interference by the base runner could lead to a double play , an infield fly doesn’t have to be caught for the batter to be out but it has to be a fair ball
Typing almost same thing at same time…ha

That was a complicated rule to teach little leaguers back in the day , they all wanted to run when the ball wasn’t caught , I’d say most all double plays in the majors would be runner interference
Well we covered 3 ways already…3 that should never happen but they definitely do…

What’s wrong with people who enjoy the atmosphere and want to cheer on the Vols being there? Do we need to take a sports rules test to attend now? That will eliminate about a third of the people at Neyland on Saturdays.

i think it’s great your wife attends some games with you. My daughter attended the Ole Miss football game with me in 21, did not understand it at all, but had a blast! My wife will not go. 🙁

Have no problem with anyone attending a baseVols game, it's just sad for supers when it's almost impossible to get tickets and some of those people who go are not interested and leave early. My wife usually won't go to football, but occasionally she will to spend time with the boys. She did come with me one time when I was invited to sit in the president's suite, which is an amazing palace that spans a full side of the stadium with seats in the front and a full decadent buffet in the back. She would go to that any time, but may not watch any of the game...

4-0? Uhhh, didn’t they get shellacked by ECU game 3?
That references their run through the MVC tourney, not the NCAA regional. Had 3 run rule games and the only one that was close was Indiana St.

I’m not sure why ISU gets so much love anyhow. They had a tough schedule but didn’t do much with it (4-7 in Quad 1).

That references their run through the MVC tourney, not the NCAA regional. Had 3 run rule games and the only one that was close was Indiana St.

I’m not sure why ISU gets so much love anyhow. They had a tough schedule but didn’t do much with it (4-7 in Quad 1).
Thank you for the clarification. That’s what I get for trying to read the tiny text without my glasses lol.

“Everybody has a plan until they get hit in the mouth”

Indiana’s pitcher was going to shut us down. Then he got rocked (when he actually got the ball over the plate). Southern Miss was going to “get revenge”. 9 run loss.

Evansville will be scrappy and will compete. TN is better across the board. Like CTV says “we just need to play our game”.

Evansville is a team with a lot of older players on it. I don’t expect them to get rattled. I really think the ‘22 team’s Achilles heel was having things too easy. They wilted under pressure. I don’t think this year’s team will. They’ve been in many tight games and faced a gauntlet (not least of which was the SEC tourney). No team could win 2/3 from us at home this year to date. I don’t expect Evansville to either.

GBO!
Most of that was conjured up by folks on here.Thought SM and Indiana both very respectful

Reactions: ArdentVol
OK, since it’s not Friday yet and y’all are discussing obscure baseball rules, does anyone know how it is possible to get a double play when the infield fly rule is called? That happened in MLB twice in a week recently.

If you do know how this can happen, then you know something that 99% of baseball fans (and probably a few umpires) don’t even know.
interference call, most probable case

Reactions: volcs
interference call, most probable case
That’s what it was.

If, in the judgment of the umpire, one of the runners got in the way of the player who was trying to catch the popup, the umpire could call the batter out for the infield fly rule and the runner out for interference.

Again, that call hadn’t happened for 20+ years in MLB, and then it happened twice in a week.

It‘s also the only way I can think of to get 2 outs on one play without the defense catching a batted ball before it hits the ground, without a strikeout, AND without a defensive player tagging a runner or a base.

Last edited:
Reactions: 87&91ALUM
I’m sure that out of the 100,000 or so that attend the UT football games, there are still quite a few people, especially students, who go to the game for the fun and excitement, even if they don’t know all the rules. I think that‘s great. Many of those people will become diehards eventually.

I’ve heard casual fans ask why there is a 10-second runoff rule, and my response is something like, “Don’t get me started on that one…”
Ha. There are several new rules that were invented because of UT—I witnessed that one first hand at the Music City Bowl. It was an unfortunate turn of events to say the least. 🍊👍👊😀🍊

That was a complicated rule to teach little leaguers back in the day , they all wanted to run when the ball wasn’t caught , I’d say most all double plays in the majors would be runner interference
I assume this is what you are referring to. I've seen a lot of double plays that were just great baseball plays, catches and throws, and not interference related. Runner Does Not Slide Heading to Second in Force Double Play Situation - Baseball Rules Academy

Looking forward to the games this weekend. Go Vols! Looks like weather will not be an issue except the forecast NW winds will help push the balls over the outfield walls. Which of the two teams would most likely gain an edge from a wind blowing out of the stadium northwest to southeast?

I saw what I needed to see at LNS to know the fans will only be there if we keep putting the best team in the country on the field. They will go away as soon as we don’t. That is just the sad truth. I welcome them but I am the type of person who would educate myself on something if I kept going as well.

To be fair, this is basically every program though. People pay to watch quality sports products, or they won’t pay at all. Particularly with how expensive it is to go to a game of any kind, any where in 2024. Regardless of whether you are a “blue blood” or “new blood”.

I don’t really think it’s an indictment on our fanbase to say once we suck we’ll stop paying to watch it. If you look around the conference this year, there were plenty of examples of teams that were having down years with sporadic fan attendance.

Looking forward to the games this weekend. Go Vols! Looks like weather will not be an issue except the forecast NW winds will help push the balls over the outfield walls. Which of the two teams would most likely gain an edge from a wind blowing out of the stadium northwest to southeast?
We have 159 home runs. They have < 100. Advantage us.

Reactions: volplaya8
I had to look that one up to be sure but in that scenario the DH would take the defensive position continue to batting in the same order and the pitcher then bats for the vacated player. Not a big rule book but there is plenty in there that guys like me, the average fan don't know or remember. No such thing as a stupid question.
This happened in the Regionals at Clemson last year. Clemson’s decision to remove Amick from 1B, and insert the Pitcher/DH (Grice) at 1B in the 9th resulted in Clemson losing the DH for the next 5 innings and losing several more at bats by Amick. It put Clemson in a huge competitive disadvantage for the rest of the game. The good news: TN won in 14 innings and Amick transferred to TN! 🍊👍😀👊👊🍊👍👍

Have no problem with anyone attending a baseVols game, it's just sad for supers when it's almost impossible to get tickets and some of those people who go are not interested and leave early. My wife usually won't go to football, but occasionally she will to spend time with the boys. She did come with me one time when I was invited to sit in the president's suite, which is an amazing palace that spans a full side of the stadium with seats in the front and a full decadent buffet in the back. She would go to that any time, but may not watch any of the game...

Agreed. I am glad we have sparked interest by the casual fan, but our fanbase can be better. We have been spoiled to a degree by the success already. The atmosphere this past weekend was just okay. I was down the RF line and basically the entire LF/3B side sat the whole game and never got off their feet except for a few people.

I was at the Supers in 2021 against LSU and that atmosphere is what I was hoping for. Granted, we blew all 3 teams out, so I know the games were not as close.

Frankly, the biggest problem has been, and always will be, the donor class. The amount of premium seats open behind home plate this past weekend was awful. Can’t believe those people just let those tickets go to waste and couldn’t be bothered to attend the game or give them away.

Looking forward to the games this weekend. Go Vols! Looks like weather will not be an issue except the forecast NW winds will help push the balls over the outfield walls. Which of the two teams would most likely gain an edge from a wind blowing out of the stadium northwest to southeast

I would say the one who just broke the school single season home run record. A record that I thought would never be broken.

I saw what I needed to see at LNS to know the fans will only be there if we keep putting the best team in the country on the field. They will go away as soon as we don’t. That is just the sad truth. I welcome them but I am the type of person who would educate myself on something if I kept going as well.
Hmmmm. Interesting judgment from a small sample size. You are painting with an awfully big brush. I’m amazed that you attended one game at LNS and concluded that the majority were fair weathered fans. I guess to each their own but IMHO the BaseVols have created a new generation of fans with their style of play, engaged players/coaching staff, and certainly their success. I think many will remain loyal fans long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back