The Official Evansville @ #1 Tennessee Super Regional Game 1 Thread (Fri. June 7 3PM EST) (ESPN2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, this is basically every program though. People pay to watch quality sports products, or they won’t pay at all. Particularly with how expensive it is to go to a game of any kind, any where in 2024. Regardless of whether you are a “blue blood” or “new blood”.

I don’t really think it’s an indictment on our fanbase to say once we suck we’ll stop paying to watch it. If you look around the conference this year, there were plenty of examples of teams that were having down years with sporadic fan attendance.
Maybe but embedded programs get theirs in the sports they pride themselves in. It might be more sparse inside Neyland, Rupp, Alex Box if the team gets really bad. I’m not even talking about sucking. I’m talking we could go to top 15-20 range and people will stop going. We are the best team in the sport and possibly have been for a 4 year period and it was dead in that place. Tickets were also easier to get than they were in 21 or 22 and stadium is expanding as well. You would never see lack of fans or enthusiasm inside Neyland if we were to be say number 12. It would be absolute bedlam is we were number 1. Same goes for Rupp, the Box and so on. That was not the case for LNS.

Hmmmm. Interesting judgment from a small sample size. You are painting with an awfully big brush. I’m amazed that you attended one game at LNS and concluded that the majority were fair weathered fans. I guess to each their own but IMHO the BaseVols have created a new generation of fans with their style of play, engaged players/coaching staff, and certainly their success. I think many will remain loyal fans long term.
I attended 3 games. I have also heard from people for years but wanted to wait and see for myself. The tickets were much easier to come by. Folks had no problem waiting for SRO tickets at 10 bucks each. It was far different. People also leaving early etc…in postseason baseball..wild to see…we are that good but seemed like many people were taking that for granted. I sure as heck won’t. Just thought we would be all over the other teams…TV alluded to it after the second game anyway…so he is seeing something that I am seeing.

Maybe but embedded programs get theirs in the sports they pride themselves in. It might be more sparse inside Neyland, Rupp, Alex Box if the team gets really bad. I’m not even talking about sucking. I’m talking we could go to top 15-20 range and people will stop going. We are the best team in the sport and possibly have been for a 4 year period and it was dead in that place. Tickets were also easier to get than they were in 21 or 22 and stadium is expanding as well. You would never see lack of fans or enthusiasm inside Neyland if we were to be say number 12. It would be absolute bedlam is we were number 1. Same goes for Rupp, the Box and so on. That was not the case for LNS.

Respectfully, I disagree with this statement. I don’t think our fans are so fair feather that even a Top 20 team isn’t good enough to support. If we had been #16 last year and snagged a regional host spot we would have packed the stadium similar to the past weekend.

I think part of the reason this past weekend wasn’t as rowdy was simply because the matchups weren’t that appealing. We still had about 90% of the stadium full.

Respectfully, I disagree with this statement. I don’t think our fans are so fair feather that even a Top 20 team isn’t good enough to support. If we had been #16 last year and snagged a regional host spot we would have packed the stadium similar to the past weekend.

I think part of the reason this past weekend wasn’t as rowdy was simply because the matchups weren’t that appealing. We still had about 90% of the stadium full.
Yes should always be packed if you get to host a regional. Check back for a regular matchup if we are say ranked 15th and playing a non LSU name. Tickets will be dirt cheap. Possibly free.

For most part regionals aren’t going to be all that appealing matchup wise. You won’t be playing a Sec team. Your best hope would be a 2 seed ACC school…not sure if the likes of a Louisville, Ga Tech, NCState and so on would be any more appealing than Indiana, Southern Miss…who knows

I attended 3 games. I have also heard from people for years but wanted to wait and see for myself. The tickets were much easier to come by. Folks had no problem waiting for SRO tickets at 10 bucks each. It was far different. People also leaving early etc…in postseason baseball..wild to see…we are that good but seemed like many people were taking that for granted. I sure as heck won’t. Just thought we would be all over the other teams…TV alluded to it after the second game anyway…so he is seeing something that I am seeing.
I’d say that Sat game was an anomaly. Surprisingly, it rained off and on numerous times and was a very slow game that lasted over 4 hours that wasn’t very competitive after a few innings. Don’t get me wrong, I’m down for that and have stayed in pouring rain until the end for midweek games that were sparsely attended by a few Scouts and friends and family. However, I get that some folks with small kids aren’t down for it. Friday’s atmosphere was electric and so was Sat’s in the early innings.

LNS was packed and SRO for all 3 games. Sat crowd thinned out but the support is there. I’ve been there hundreds of times and seen it for myself.

I’ve seen a lot of interesting bulletin board material on here that is not player driven, just fans. These things make it to the players for Evansville, and regardless of who said it, the Aces will lump it all into the Tennessee category. Comments just add more fuel to the fire and ultimately make the underdog even more determined.

The facts are that the Purple Aces are a darn good team. During the course of the season, they’ve beaten a bunch of quality teams. Tennessee can be beaten. Respecting opponents is huge in understanding we have to give it everything.

Yes should always be packed if you get to host a regional. Check back for a regular matchup if we are say ranked 15th and playing a non LSU name. Tickets will be dirt cheap. Possibly free.

For most part regionals aren’t going to be all that appealing matchup wise. You won’t be playing a Sec team. Your best hope would be a 2 seed ACC school…not sure if the likes of a Louisville, Ga Tech, NCState and so on would be any more appealing than Indiana, Southern Miss…who knows

I feel like you are being a bit unfair though. I’ve had my fair share of criticisms about the atmosphere last weekend, but outside of a program like Arkansas, Miss State, or LSU, who else is “packing” the stadium in baseball for a regular season game against a mediocre opponent as you described?

Frankly, “packing” seems subjective because I watched that Arkansas series last weekend for a post-season series and I saw a ton of open seats by Arkansas standards and the crowd sounded lethargic. Not impressed for a “blue blood”.

Then don’t go to the games…I don’t like Taylor Swift music so I’m not at her concerts asking people what the lyrics are. When you start thinking about any sport though there are many rules associated with it. More than any of us would think. Basketball between charging vs block, 10 secs to cross mid court, 3 in the key, then what type of offense you run, defense etc…it would confuse a person who didnt know. More nuance in baseball but that’s what makes it special. I get all your points though. Would you say your wife has a firm grasp on baseball now and what does she think of American sports in general.
Your priorities might be different than others. People know what they know. Personally, giving folks some latitude seems like the right play here. There doesn’t always have to be a winner and a loser in a conversation.

I feel like you are being a bit unfair though. I’ve had my fair share of criticisms about the atmosphere last weekend, but outside of a program like Arkansas, Miss State, or LSU, who else is “packing” the stadium in baseball for a regular season game against a mediocre opponent as you described?

Frankly, “packing” seems subjective because I watched that Arkansas series last weekend for a post-season series and I saw a ton of open seats by Arkansas standards and the crowd sounded lethargic. Not impressed for a “blue blood”.
Exactly.

I’d say that Sat game was an anomaly. Surprisingly, it rained off and on numerous times and was a very slow game that lasted over 4 hours that wasn’t very competitive after a few innings. Don’t get me wrong, I’m down for that and have stayed in pouring rain until the end for midweek games that were sparsely attended by a few Scouts and friends and family. However, I get that some folks with small kids aren’t down for it. Friday’s atmosphere was electric and so was Sat’s in the early innings.

LNS was packed and SRO for all 3 games. Sat crowd thinned out but the support is there. I’ve been there hundreds of times and seen it for myself.

I wasn't there - but from watching on TV, the crowd was very into it at the start - but when you have weather it is always going to be a hit / miss. If the game is in hand, some folks will leave. Happens even with football, basketball, etc. weather or not.

I don't think that equates to lack of support. Most, if not all, will stay and be vocal if the game is competitive.

I think they are worn down by the lack of postseason success currently and becoming a lethargic fan base. One CWS appearance in 5 years while we are knocking at 3 and 3 Sec teams winning national titles will do that to a fan base when they think they are just as good or better than all of them. But you just answered what could happen right there. I would certainly never put their fan base along side LSU, they travel everywhere. Of course we are closer to Arkansas as a baseball program than they will ever be to LSU. I get what you and @taylorvol are throwing down though!

Reactions: taylorvol

Only Arkansas fans think that Arkansas is a blue blood

They definitely ride the line…not as good as they think they are but of course not bad either. Hard to be a blue blood in anything with no titles at all..even In a fickle sport like baseball. More success than us but not by such a wide margin that we can’t close the gap. Schools like LSU are never being caught. Like Uk in basketball and Bama in football.

Reactions: Pennheel

That is why I put the phrase in quotes. But the point is Arkansas, LSU, and Miss State have the largest ballparks and nicest facilities, which is the crutch those fanbases use to make the argument that TV will “tire” of us and want to leave for a place that “actually supports” the program. Which is just funny because no program, those included, are immune to poor showings by their fanbase. It’s not the silver bullet against us like those dummies like go act it is.

I’ve seen a lot of interesting bulletin board material on here that is not player driven, just fans. These things make it to the players for Evansville, and regardless of who said it, the Aces will lump it all into the Tennessee category. Comments just add more fuel to the fire and ultimately make the underdog even more determined.

The facts are that the Purple Aces are a darn good team. During the course of the season, they’ve beaten a bunch of quality teams. Tennessee can be beaten. Respecting opponents is huge in understanding we have to give it everything.
Respect Shallenberger and Fougerousse, these two have been solid in tournament play

Last edited:
That is why I put the phrase in quotes. But the point is Arkansas, LSU, and Miss State have the largest ballparks and nicest facilities, which is the crutch those fanbases use to make the argument that TV will “tire” of us and want to leave for a place that “actually supports” the program. Which is just funny because no program, those included, are immune to poor showings by their fanbase. It’s not the silver bullet against us like those dummies like go act it is.
The thing is that none of those three schools have any real entertainment going on around them. All three are out in the middle of nowhere. So the locals have to do something with their down time.

Reactions: Drewbydoo

I don't think their are that many true blue bloods in the sport.

The teams that have won the most titles are Southern California, LSU, Texas, Arizona State, Arizona, Fullerton and Miami. To be fair, only two (LSU and Texas) are all that relevant now.

Most of USC, Arizona State, and Arizona's success was before the even was broadcast widely.

USC has only won one title since 1989 and rarely makes noise in the tournament and even has issues making the tourney at all. Going to the Big10 is a potential distaster.
Arizona State has not won a title since 1981
Arizona caught lightning in a bottle in 2012 and stopped South Carolina's 2-year run
Fullerton is TERRIBLE now.
Miami has ZERO excuse for their mediocrity. They have no titles in 23 years as the succumbed to ACC CWS curse. Why they played better as an independent than in conference baffles me.

It would not take much for a different school to become a blue blood. Say 3 titles over 10 years.

I don't think stadium size and fanbase makes a program a blue blood. Mississippi State could have 50,000 seat stadium and I don't think it would matter because of where the school is located. There best years -save 2021, was win few schools gave a damn about college baseball.

Arkansas could get there, but I really think Van Horn is badly overrated. He received a lot of acclaim first at Nebraska but still never won a CWS game practically in a home stadium and with the NCAA bending over backwards to get them to Omaha. At Arkansas, he continues to build strong teams but there always seems to be a glarring flaw that "gets them" No offense, relying too much on a single pitcher, etc.

NIL will create some all new Blue Bloods and will KILL some programs. Vanderbilt is living on borrowed time, Coastal Carolina will be a trivia answer one day. East Carolina can kiss their national title hopes good bye. There will only be power 3. And there may be only 2 if the ACC does not get their football **** together.

Have no problem with anyone attending a baseVols game, it's just sad for supers when it's almost impossible to get tickets and some of those people who go are not interested and leave early. My wife usually won't go to football, but occasionally she will to spend time with the boys. She did come with me one time when I was invited to sit in the president's suite, which is an amazing palace that spans a full side of the stadium with seats in the front and a full decadent buffet in the back. She would go to that any time, but may not watch any of the game...
Okay, point taken. For the record, I don't leave early- probably because I rarely get to catch a game. But how do you know that the folks who leave early are newcomers to the game, etc? How do you know they don't have a high baseball IQ, but just want to beat the traffic or whatever? Some may have kids in tow.

Personally, I'd like to see SRO with a bunch of maniacs in the stands til the end; I know it gets the team psyched up to see a large, rowdy crowd. In any event, I don't think you'll see too many people leave early this weekend. Hope not anyway. My perspective is somewhat skewed since a lot of these games I end up watching the highlights the next morning- no way for me to record them over here. I've tried using my BIL's spectrum but won't let me watch with VPN, and won't let me watch from Germany either!

BTW- I don't know this - if you get season tickets are you purchasing for one specific day on weekends or the full Fri-Sat-Sun games for the series? Not a question I ever had to ask myself, cause I'm not there! Baseball is unique in that it is time intensive compared to basketball and even football.

Have a great weekend, and GBO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back