The Official Evansville @ #1 Tennessee Super Regional Game 1 Thread (Fri. June 7 3PM EST) (ESPN2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unsurprising, but disappointing. He really could have been a massive piece down the stretch if he could have been healthy.
Just hope he is good to go for the future whether he plays in Knoxville next season or not. Great upside and many years of ball left for him hopefully!

Reactions: CDB
Just hope he is good to go for the future whether he plays in Knoxville next season or not. Great upside and many years of ball left for him hopefully!
I wonder if he may go ahead and get TJ done with the constant elbow issues and just prepare for the 25 draft

I wonder if he may go ahead and get TJ done with the constant elbow issues and just prepare for the 25 draft

I know he has talent, but I highly doubt this. I can’t imagine his draft stock would be high if he’s had Tommy John Surgery AND has basically played zero college baseball.

I also don’t think it’s fair to speculate he’ll need TJ. He probably won’t. But he definitely needs to throw some innings if he wants to be drafted high.

First off, I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you’re not trying to intentionally be condescending.

Second, I’m not FROM Germany, I just happen to live here. Surprise, there are Tennesseans that live in other places.

I’m retired Army and grew up in Morristown and am a graduate of Carson-Newman and UT Memphis. I learned the basic rules of baseball as a kid, but never was interested in watching any baseball, hence there are many nuances of the game I had not learned. I’ve been watching football for over 50 years and I daresay I know all the rules. I was holed up in ‘22 with Covid and got addicted to Vol baseball, so I consider myself a newcomer. And baseball has a lot of strange rules and customs! And I’m picking them up.

What you implied is that I’m not American if I don’t know all the rules (99%) of baseball. That’s crazy. That’s like saying you can’t like country music if you don’t know the difference between the Nashville sound and the Bakersfield sound, and can’t like guitar music if you don’t know what Travis picking is or what bar chords are.

Whether you intended to be insulting or not, I don’t know. Most of the people I have met on this site have been welcoming, but that comment was not.

Guess what? I don’t know any rules to hockey either.
I have played baseball since I learned how to walk and feel like I know the rules backwards and forwards.

That ALL went out the window with the LSU-SC stealing-home-balk-catcher interference call that game. Something I have never seen before in my life.

That is one of the things I LOVE about baseball. A game as old as it is has some really odd rules in it that come to play every couple hundred years. And. No one but the umps know that specific rule. And seriously, kudos to them for actually knowing and applying that rule.

If Evansville reminds him of any SEC teams Tennessee faced this season:

"A little bit of Kentucky with the well-balanced offense. They play with a real fun style. I think that's kind of one thing that gets lost in the mix. These game times, ESPN is, I assume, the one that has to juggle (the game times), there's only so many slots.

I have played baseball since I learned how to walk and feel like I know the rules backwards and forwards.

That ALL went out the window with the LSU-SC stealing-home-balk-catcher interference call that game. Something I have never seen before in my life.

That is one of the things I LOVE about baseball. A game as old as it is has some really odd rules in it that come to play every couple hundred years. And. No one but the umps know that specific rule. And seriously, kudos to them for actually knowing and applying that rule.
That was an interpretation of rule…Vols did same thing earlier in year and were not called for it. Had discussion with a couple people and I understand the point of protecting catcher if a guy were to swing. When you go back and watch the LSU play..the batter had backed out of box while the pitch was coming and the catcher was stepping up to receive the ball and tag the runner out. Goofy call that would only be called in baseball very recently. Rules and interpretations are always changing so you never know what you think you know and there is always room to learn more!

That was an interpretation of rule…Vols did same thing earlier in year and were not called for it. Had discussion with a couple people and I understand the point of protecting catcher if a guy were to swing. When you go back and watch the LSU play..the batter had backed out of box while the pitch was coming and the catcher was stepping up to receive the ball and tag the runner out. Goofy call that would only be called in baseball very recently. Rules and interpretations are always changing so you never know what you think you know and there is always room to learn more!
Y'all correct me if I'm wrong here, but my understanding is that if the LSU pitcher had stepped off the rubber it would have been a legal play because it would no longer be a pitch and therefore no catcher's interference on the batter. Or...did they also rule he blocked the plate prior to getting the ball, and so he actually was called for interference in 2 different ways?

When I pitched (and no, I never pitched at a high level), my coach (my dad) always taught me that if a guy was trying to steal home, step off the rubber prior to throwing home. But I never knew why, and I don't think I ever had to worry about it. But now I get it.

Y'all correct me if I'm wrong here, but my understanding is that if the LSU pitcher had stepped off the rubber it would have been a legal play because it would no longer be a pitch and therefore no catcher's interference on the batter. Or...did they also rule he blocked the plate prior to getting the ball, and so he actually was called for interference in 2 different ways?

When I pitched (and no, I never pitched at a high level), my coach (my dad) always taught me that if a guy was trying to steal home, step off the rubber prior to throwing home. But I never knew why, and I don't think I ever had to worry about it. But now I get it.
This gives a bit of detail…

Only Arkansas fans think that Arkansas is a blue blood

They're probably still frustrated about that foul ball in 2018 so I can't blame them too much in their feelings of wanting to be a bluebood. I'm really enjoyed this season of college baseball. The state of North Carolina has put out a lot of teams who are/were talented.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Yes but Americans shouldn’t be new to the main rules and game of baseball itself. It has nothing to do with growing the college game or Vols. There is lots and I mean lots of baseball on many levels in this country. Strange to see grownups not know some things.
Bud, there are tons of things neither you nor I, as adults, know. It's not really strange at all.

If Evansville reminds him of any SEC teams Tennessee faced this season:

"A little bit of Kentucky with the well-balanced offense. They play with a real fun style. I think that's kind of one thing that gets lost in the mix. These game times, ESPN is, I assume, the one that has to juggle (the game times), there's only so many slots.

What he really wanted to say was Vols by Fiddy

Only Arkansas fans think that Arkansas is a blue blood
Maybe one could argue that Arkansas is a blue blood in the sport of Catfish Noodling...

but NIL and the loss of a TV contract is gonna drive that competition back down to club level for most schools.

[edit] Changed that to blue font to avoid starting any arguments that might drift over into the Lady Vols forum where the lack of support for a women's noodling program is bound to be a sore spot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back