The Official Florida @ Tennessee Weekend Series Thread (Thurs. 4/6 8PM EST) ESPNU (Fri. 4/7 7PM EST) SEC Network (Sat. 4/8 2PM EST) ESPN 2

I would say it's impossible to hit the ball while running from said ball . It's just crazy most of these drive-by probably hasn't seen a pitcher with college level skills. Most of the SEC bullpens are made up of dominant high school pitching. We have a good team we're just playing playoff caliber teams day in and day out. A few less errors few more double plays and timely hits this bunch wouldn't be posting. GBO 💥
The centerfield camera angle doesn’t do these pitchers justice. There are guys that throw balls and look like they are going to hit you on the hip but end up on the outside part of the plate.

The centerfield camera angle doesn’t do these pitchers justice. There are guys that throw balls and look like they are going to hit you on the hip but end up on the outside part of the plate.
It's just crazy how much movement some of these pitchers have. I was 16 when I seen my first real curveball pitcher. I leaned in towards the plate thinking the ball was going behind me 😭 it went right across the plate. I believe the 3rd time through I finally foul tipped one. The guy was really good played college ball . That was many moons ago. GBO 💥

It's just crazy how much movement some of these pitchers have. I was 16 when I seen my first real curveball pitcher. I leaned in towards the plate thinking the ball was going behind me 😭 it went right across the plate. I believe the 3rd time through I finally foul tipped one. The guy was really good played college ball . That was many moons ago. GBO 💥
Yeah anyone that’s ever played varsity high school baseball has that “welcome to real baseball” moment. I remember fouling off an Alan Walden pitch in high school and eventually reached base in that game. I think we got 1 or 2-hit. Kid threw mid-90s and ended up at Tennessee. He had an elbow injury his senior season and I don’t think he ever ended up accumulating any stats at Tennessee but he was one of the best pitchers in the state and got drafted by the Braves.

Would like to point out that Vanderbilt was 22-9 (5-7) at this point in the season last year. Their SEC schedule consisted of Missouri (3-0), South Carolina (1-2), #1 Tennessee (0-3), and Auburn (1-2) up to that point. Only one ranked team while 3 of ours have been ranked at the time we played and two of those were in the top 3 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Next weekend we will start to find out if Kentucky is a real contender. I know they have played the easiest conference schedule thus far but it’s hard to argue against 27-3 (9-1). Kudos to Mingione for an impressive turnaround.

I have followed and attended Vols sports as far as I can remember and at my age that's not to far back,but I never complained or critized any college athlete even Helton was the greatest at baseball but he had his wtf moments.But now since this NIL stuff I don't get mad if someone critizes any player that is making money they are paid to do a job and I understand a few bad games a person can have but the same mistakes over and over every game is a little ridiculous.I will still watch the games with my grandson and curse the tv.Go Vols from a 1983 Alum

Reactions: Frozevol
Dollander and Burns might be pressing too much in trying to show their high draft pick potential.

Burns still has another year before he is eligible right?

If I was them, I might get caught up in pressing knowing that my offense isn't going to score many runs. And, my defense is going to give away 4-5 extra outs per game.

Need this one today. I’m stuck in the middle of a tournament my son is playing. Last night didn’t go well. Kinda like what happened to the Vols. GBO!

This team has lots of room for improvement including infield defense, base running, hitting with RISP, to name a few. Replacing the entire hitting lineup, having zero position players with full time starting experience at UT, and coming after a season of arguably the best team in UT history, I absolutely expected a drop off. It was ridiculous to be ranked #2 in preseason and all of the additional pressure it put on this young team. For comparison purposes, Last years team was #32 in preseason. Still time to regroup and get better. I just choose to look at glasses half full Vs half empty.
#32 according to who? We were preseason top 20 in the two major college baseball publications in 2022.

Would like to point out that Vanderbilt was 22-9 (5-7) at this point in the season last year. Their SEC schedule consisted of Missouri (3-0), South Carolina (1-2), #1 Tennessee (0-3), and Auburn (1-2) up to that point. Only one ranked team while 3 of ours have been ranked at the time we played and two of those were in the top 3 🤷‍♂️
So what’s the point? It wasn’t as if Vandy had a great season last year. They wound up shipped as far away as Nashville as they could be for the NCAAT.

Burns still has another year before he is eligible right?

If I was them, I might get caught up in pressing knowing that my offense isn't going to score many runs. And, my defense is going to give away 4-5 extra outs per game.
Burns will be here next season. He will not turn 21 until January 2024.

I have followed and attended Vols sports as far as I can remember and at my age that's not to far back,but I never complained or critized any college athlete even Helton was the greatest at baseball but he had his wtf moments.But now since this NIL stuff I don't get mad if someone critizes any player that is making money they are paid to do a job and I understand a few bad games a person can have but the same mistakes over and over every game is a little ridiculous.I will still watch the games with my grandson and curse the tv.Go Vols from a 1983 Alum
So just because a kid makes money we are allowed to trash them? They still have to worry about school in addition to being excellent on the field. I’ve noticed there has been a lot of jealousy around this NIL stuff and the majority of them don’t even make enough for it to make a significant difference. Grown (childish) adults have their panties in a wad because kids are trying to take advantage of their popularity while they can.

We’ve got some saying we aren’t even an NCAAT team. That’s the point 🙄

Right now, we are, but when I look at the schedule and how we're playing, it's not a lock that we remain there. Granted, the wheels would almost have to be off for us to not make the field, but I'm not taking it off the table. With such a young team, I can see everything from a crazy good run to seeing us being belly up at the end of this brutal stretch. At this point, I know 2 things...one is that trials like what we're seeing now reveal character and who you are inside. Second, we gotta get this one today. Can't be swept at home. Just can't allow that to happen.

So just because a kid makes money we are allowed to trash them? They still have to worry about school in addition to being excellent on the field. I’ve noticed there has been a lot of jealousy around this NIL stuff and the majority of them don’t even make enough for it to make a significant difference. Grown (childish) adults have their panties in a wad because kids are trying to take advantage of their popularity while they can.
Didnt say trash don't put words in my mouth there is a big difference when you question what he is doing and dogging the person. Who the hell is jealous I don't give a damn how much they make maybe your jealous because it's not you making the money I done made mine in my lifetime so this is what I'm talking about someone has a reasonable opinion and know it all's like you start belittling people EVERYONE has a rite to an opinion I respect everyone's at all times I never tell someone their a negaVol or not a truefan that's ******** most people don't even know each other so don't act like you know more than anyone else.

Last edited:

Everything I hear is that the baseVols aren't exactly making a killing on NIL deals

Hard to read, but we will have faced three of the five best hitting teams as a pitching staff, plus some really good, and lucky at times, hitters with the Mizzou guys.

Conversely, offensively we’ve had some pitchers having really good nights against us. We’ve gotten a fair amount of guys on base, but not getting them around. From an early schedule standout, we’ve been a little unlucky. These numbers will get better moving forward, in my opinion.

The first 4-5 innings in these games are killing us. I say this somewhat jokingly, but the thought did enter my mind of having a “bullpen” game where you designate 5-6 to start and carry the load.

Funny and thanks. At home, during games, I am pretty superstitious, like not moving, etc., but the weekend home series, I am at all 3 games, so no couch. Me walking away and getting something to eat at the game, almost always results in something good happening on the field (I take full credit for Hoover last year, it never failed, as soon as I got something to eat, huge results. You are welcome).I will eat my way to a winning record 😉
Those lines were long, long, long.

VN Store

Back