The Official FSU @ #1 Tennessee CWS Game 1 Thread (Fri. June 14) (7PM EST) (ESPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoping that TV changes up pitching. Stamos has been less than stellar.
I think opening with Stamos was about setting up AJ for success more than anything.
And it's worked VERY well.
AJ performed far better in this set up.
It may be mental, but it may be

(1) You can't get any more different than LH Stamos and RH AJ with his frisbee pitches
(2) The lineup gets 1 less of a look at AJ before the middle and late innings
(3) It makes coaches start their right handed lineup against Chris instead of left handed lineup against AJ. After AJ comes in, they may PH their lefties but if Frank/Tony go Lefty against after AJ, then they have fewer PH options.

Most importantly, don't change what's working so well. WE'RE IN OMAHA BABY!!!!

Last edited:
I doubt CTV moves anyone around. Causey has been consistently the best pitcher all season. Beam has really struggled to get past 4 innings as of late, despite early success. Zander has had 3 straight incredible games (SEC, Regional, Super), but also struggled before that.

Stamos had a good first inning in the Super. I bet we see him for the 1st, and assumeing he gets thru that, Causey on the bump for the start of the 2nd.

The comment about how the game is affected by the aluminum bat, I suppose there are physics studies to give us real numbers but the biggest problem is, pitchers are all trying to up their velo and, as a result, overthrow and leave pitches out on the table. Those get hit.

A lot of them are experimenting with sliders to location and cutters. Badly thrown, those things to out faster than they came in.

But yeah, if you are gonna small-ball it, you have to have a bunch of guys who throw splitters. Infielder range will take over after that. Just learn to back up 3rd base. Hitters are stronger, and the ballparks designed for wooden bats are about 10 feet too short. It is what it is, though.
It’s a combination of everything. Launch angle is a huge philosophy which increases homers by itself, max effort pitching is emphasized now which sacrifices accuracy, some say the ball has changed but I don’t think that is as big of a factor of the previous two philosophies. The bats made now are about as close to wooden bats as you can get so we know the bats aren’t hot.

It was Wake. Florida was #2. lol at Wake 🤣

Guess all those lofty expectations killed you in the end. Not so fun being the hunted after you came out of nowhere is it??? At least we made it to Omaha last year after the insane preseason expectations.

View attachment 647752
Lol at Wake! I second that. I bet it Burns their fans up.

Guess all those lofty expectations killed you in the end. Not so fun being the hunted after you came out of nowhere is it??? At least we made it to Omaha last year after the insane preseason expectations.

View attachment 647752
I see that Florida and TAMU are the only top 8 teams that finished top 8.

Wake and ECU did the same thing; they won the Regional before they played a game. How do you not use your ace in the first game? Then again, the opener concept has gained traction over recent years. Baseball is cruel and creates heroes in strange places. I saw some phenomenal pitching in the last 2 weeks where I never expected to see it. That was not just in Greenville or Knoxville. I do know this. A top seeding in Omaha is good for laughs. You have to keep the foot on the pedal. These guys can handle that if they don't get over-coached.

The beautiful thing about Chris starting is if a team anticipates facing AJ and goes with a lot of lefties; then Chris has a better chance of success. If Chris does well the first time through the lineup, guess what? He can stay in and keep the rock rolling down hill. The longer he stays in, the more likely that AJ- when he comes in, can go the distance.

If a team stays all lefty, then we can warm up another lefty when Chris gets tired.

And what if Tennessee puts up a huge number in the first few innings and Chris is still on the mound? Why waste AJ? Save him for game 2, 3 or 4.

Wake and ECU did the same thing; they won the Regional before they played a game. How do you not use your ace in the first game? Then again, the opener concept has gained traction over recent years. Baseball is cruel and creates heroes in strange places. I saw some phenomenal pitching in the last 2 weeks where I never expected to see it. That was not just in Greenville or Knoxville. I do know this. A top seeding in Omaha is good for laughs. You have to keep the foot on the pedal. These guys can handle that if they don't get over-coached.
To be fair, Wake used Burns as their Game 2 starter all season so I didn’t really question that. I was just of the mindset of what would happen IF they lost Game 1, then your back is against the wall.

I would have never imagined we would have a team that sits 15 homers ahead of our 2022 team and yet we have one 2 years later and only one more game played. Wild.
The 2022 team was awesome, but let's face it. A ton of their HRs were against a notoriously weak OOC schedule.

This team- especially C-Mo have put up HRs in later season.

It’s a combination of everything. Launch angle is a huge philosophy which increases homers by itself, max effort pitching is emphasized now which sacrifices accuracy, some say the ball has changed but I don’t think that is as big of a factor of the previous two philosophies. The bats made now are about as close to wooden bats as you can get so we know the bats aren’t hot.
A guy for Georgia the other night hit a 110 exit velo to right field that had a launch angle of 19 degrees. Cleared the fence by about 6 inches.

To be fair, Wake used Burns as their Game 2 starter all season so I didn’t really question that. I was just of the mindset of what would happen IF they lost Game 1, then your back is against the wall.
That logic makes sense if you have a good enough 1-guy. That would put Burns in an almost ideal environment. But ECU decided to save THEIR ace and I don't really believe they expected that to turn out like it did. Yesavage would still have needed to pitch a shutout in G. 1, but nobody could forecast that. I just don't believe in tinkering. No team has pitching depth enough to crawl out of a hole in a tournament. Everybody is throwing guesswork at it once you get 3 deep into your bullpen.

A guy for Georgia the other night hit a 110 exit velo to right field that had a launch angle of 19 degrees. Cleared the fence by about 6 inches.
I think they say 17-20 degree launch angle is what they aim for so he succeeded. If he levels through it could have been a double instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back