The Official FSU @ #1 Tennessee CWS Game 1 Thread (Fri. June 14) (7PM EST) (ESPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't given up. Not at all. Historically we do very well 7th-9th innings.
It’s clear there are a lot of noobs in this thread. Basevols never give up. Even if we lose, I love and appreciate the hell out of this team. So many in here act like they’ve never made a mistake in their life.

I don’t see us beating FL State or UNC two in a row with our arms. We have offense but it won’t be enough to beat UVA and then two more.

Hope I’m wrong .

Depends on the matchup. We need to pull for UNC over FSU in the 1-0 game. We can absolutely beat FSU in an elimination game. Their pen isn’t deep outside of today. Our odds of beating UNC twice are much higher than against FSU.

Reactions: vol94
Weirdly enough, as disappointed as I am, I have a sense of calm. I don’t know how to describe it. It’s not a sense of not believing we couldn’t do it. Maybe the words will come to me at some point. Disappointed, let down, but it is what it is.

Hoping the Vols make good history instead of bad:

“Twelve teams in Men's College World Series history have gone on to win the national championship after dropping their first game in Omaha. The most recent example came in 2018, when Oregon State won six straight games to claim the title.

The group of 12 to escape the losers' bracket after Game 1 account for less than 17 percent of national champions.

In 2019, two first-round losers, Louisville and Texas Tech, advanced to the national semifinals before bowing out.

Here's the full list of national champions that lost their first game at the Men's College World Series.”

2018Oregon StateL, North Carolina 8-6
2010South CarolinaL, Oklahoma 4-3
2006Oregon StateL, Miami (FL) 11-1
1998Southern CaliforniaL, LSU 12-10
1980ArizonaL, St. John's 6-1
1979Cal State FullertonL, Mississippi State 6-1
1976ArizonaL, Arizona State 7-6
1970Southern CaliforniaL, Ohio 4-1
1969Arizona StateL, Texas 4-0
1963Southern CaliforniaL, Texas 8-3
1958Southern CaliforniaL, Holy Cross 3-0
1950TexasL, Rutgers, 4-2

I've said it all year, no pitching and no development of pitchers. 6 UT pitchers & 12 hits thru 7 innings.

If we go to the losers bracket, we in deep doo doo.

Exactly it’s very frustrating to be unable to sustain high bar success since Florida State found holes, and took advantage of it.
I was expecting this game to be competitive, except I didn’t expect Florida State to score over 10 runs.
Our pitching staff has been slowly falling down a cliff for a good month now.

Reactions: orange beard
4 teams all-time have made it out of the loser’s bracket to win it all. Probability suggests you aren’t making it out of the loser’s bracket no matter how good you are. So you sell out for Game 1 if you have to.

Besides, like I said, Snead can still pitch Sunday. Stamos can, too. He threw 8 pitches. Kirby can pitch Sunday, too. We have a day off. The pitching isn’t as dire for Sunday as people are making it out to be.
It’s easy to coach from the couch, but I think you have to start your best arm against theirs in this format. Losing game one is basically insurmountable. As bad as we’ve played, you have to assume we could win with seven runs with better pitching.

Reactions: TheMookieMonster
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back