The Official Tennessee @ South Carolina Weekend Series Thread (Fri. 7PM EST SEC NET+) (Sat. 2PM EST & 1 Hour after first game completion SEC NETWORK)

I don't get it. They were going to play 2 9 inning games today starting at 3:00 yet start at 2:00 tomorrow and can only play 7 innings. Is it that Tennessee has flights home they can't change - because there is no other reason to do that. They could have also backed the time up to 12 and played all.

What happens if the first game is tied after 7? Do they just stop and say it is tied? Or do they shorten the second game by how many ever innings after 7?

I don't get it. They were going to play 2 9 inning games today starting at 3:00 yet start at 2:00 tomorrow and can only play 7 innings. Is it that Tennessee has flights home they can't change - because there is no other reason to do that. They could have also backed the time up to 12 and played all.

What happens if the first game is tied after 7? Do they just stop and say it is tied? Or do they shorten the second game by how many ever innings after 7?
Yes

Im on the road almost to Columbia and saw this. I called my sister the Gamecock who is also on the road coming from Atlanta. We were trying to hurry to get there and see game at 3 and tonight. I said, wtf? She just laughed and said, we’ve got no pitchers, just a little home cooking! I wouldn’t be surprised if they cancelled tonight’s game and just played dh tomorrow.

Im on the road almost to Columbia and saw this. I called my sister the Gamecock who is also on the road coming from Atlanta. We were trying to hurry to get there and see game at 3 and tonight. I said, wtf? She just laughed and said, we’ve got no pitchers, just a little home cooking! I wouldn’t be surprised if they cancelled tonight’s game and just played dh tomorrow.
Gotta play all 3.

LF: 350 ft (106.7 m)
LC: 370 ft (112.8 m)
CF: 404 ft (123.1 m)
RC: 365 ft (111.3 m)
RF: 314 ft (95.7 m)
Dimensions at Foley stadium

Carolina isn’t exactly known for having top-notch ground crews.
Remember the playing surface in W-B last fall, with the sand and roots.
One year when I was a kid, they tried to spray their football field with this green dye to make it look good for homecoming. It started raining and players on both teams, as well as the homecoming court, were all green because it splashed on their clothes.
As I recall, it was an improvement of sorts for the homecoming court 😂
I remember their crap field got Hendon Hooker hurt.

Tennessee Volunteers (36-17) Overall (14-13) SEC
FwR1B-LakAY-SVZ

@
South Carolina Gamecocks (37-15) Overall (15-11) SEC
View attachment 551839

COLUMBIA, S.C. – Rounding out the 2023 regular season, the No. 9/18-ranked Tennessee baseball team hits the road for another top-25 matchup as it faces No. 9/13 South Carolina for a three-game series beginning Friday afternoon at 3PM eastern time at Founders Park. Friday will be a double header.

The Vols (36-17, 14-13 SEC) are facing a top-five RPI team in a weekend series for the second-consecutive week as the Gamecocks (37-15, 15-11 SEC) sit at No. 5 nationally in RPI while Tennessee is coming off a series win over the No. 1 RPI team in the country, Kentucky, last week.

UT finished out the home slate on Tuesday night in a 9-5 victory over Belmont. Prior to the in-state battle, the Big Orange recognized six seniors for their hard work and efforts to better the program throughout their time on Rocky Top, honoring Logan Chambers, Kirby Connell, Zane Denton, Seth Halvorsen, Griffin Merritt and Ethan Payne shortly prior to first pitch.

WEEKEND SCHEDULE/PROJECTED STARTING PITCHERS
Game 1 – Friday, May 19 (7 p.m.)
RHP Andrew Lindsey (1-2, 2.98 ERA) vs. Eli Jones (4-3, 3.40 ERA)

Game 2 – Saturday, May 19 (2 p.m.)
RHP Chase Dollander (6-5, 4.35 ERA) vs. TBA

Game 3 – Saturday, May 20 (One Hour after first game completion) [SEC Network]
TBA vs. TBA

BROADCAST INFO
Both the Friday and Saturday games will be streamed live on SEC Network+ with Dave Weinstein (PxP) calling the action.

The online broadcast can be accessed on any mobile device through WatchESPN. WatchESPN can be accessed through the ESPN App, or online at espn.com/watch.

Saturday's game will be broadcast live on SEC Network with Dave Neal (PxP) and Kyle Peterson (Analyst) calling the action. In addition to being on television, the game can be streamed HERE.

Fans can also listen to the Voice of Tennessee Baseball, John Wilkerson, call the action on the Vol Network (FM 99.1/AM 990) or via a free audio stream on UTSports.com and the Tennessee Athletics Gameday App.

SERIES HISTORY
Overall: South Carolina leads, 66-43
in Knoxville: Tennessee leads, 25-24
in Columbia: South Carolina leads, 39-16
at Neutral Sites: South Carolina leads, 3-2
Last 10 Meetings: Tennessee leads, 7-3
Last Meeting: W, 10-0 (March 20, 2022, in Knoxville)

UT swept the Gamecocks at home last season after earning their first series win in Columbia since 2006 the year prior. Tennessee has won four straight in the series and would tie its longest winning streak against Carolina with a win in Thursday's series opener.

NOTABLE
GEARING UP FOR HOOVER

Postseason play begins next week as Tennessee heads to Hoover, Alabama for the 2023 SEC Tournament, where the Big Orange will defend its crown after winning last year's tournament, ending a 27-year drought.

In that tournament, the Vols outscored their four opponents, 35-10, and became just the second team in tournament history to never trail in a game, joining 2010 LSU.

Tennessee is 7-2 in its last two SEC Tournament appearances after going 4-2 and reaching the final in 2021 before winning it all last season.

Prior to this current run of success in Hoover, the Vols had lost six straight SEC Tournament contests from 2007-2019) and had never advanced to the double-elimination rounds since the current format began in 2014.

THEY CALL 'EM RESUME BUILDERS
Tennessee is set to face its seventh ranked opponent in SEC play this weekend when its takes on No. 9/13 South Carolina in Columbia. UT has won three of its prior six series against ranked foes, including taking two of three against No. 15 Kentucky last weekend in Knoxville.

The Big Orange is 10-8 overall against ranked teams so far this season, and 9-3 at home after their series win over the Wildcats. UT is 59-51 overall against ranked teams under head coach Tony Vitello.

A few weeks ago, the Vols completed a grueling stretch of five straight weekend series against top-15 teams with a sweep of No. 2 Vanderbilt (April 21-23). In that stretch, the Vols faced No. 2 Vandy, No. 5 Arkansas, No. 2 Florida, No. 1 LSU and No. 12 Texas A&M, posting an 8-7 record.

Since Vitello became UT's head coach in 2018, the Vols have posted 26 victories over teams ranked in the top 10 and seven wins over top-ranked teams - LSU in 2023, Ole Miss (x3) in 2022, Arkansas in 2021, Texas Tech in 2020 and Florida in 2018.

UT has won 15 series over ranked teams since 2018, including eight since the start of last season.

OFFENSIVE PRODUCTION TRENDING UP
Tennessee has been tearing the cover off the ball down the stretch, batting .318 as a team with 81 extra-base hits and 42 home runs over the last month (18 games), posting an 13-5 record in that stretch.

Over that stretch, UT is outscoring its opponents 158-96, averaging 8.8 runs per game with 197 hits and a .590 slugging percentage as a team.

The Vols have scored double-digit runs in seven of their last 11 SEC games and nine of their last 15 games overall. UT has recorded double-digit hits in 13 of its last 15 games entering this weekend's series.

Two-out hitting has been a staple for the Big Orange as of late. In its last 10 wins, Tennessee has scored 68 of its 146 runs with two outs while batting .355 (59-for-166) with two outs during that stretch.

OPPONENT SCOUT
South Carolina Gamecocks

• 2023 Record: 37-15 (15-11 SEC)
  • 2022 Record: 27-28 (13-17 SEC)
  • 2022 Postseason: none
  • 2023 SEC Preseason Poll: 4th Eastern Division
  • Head Coach: Mark Kingston (14th season overall, sixth at South Carolina)
  • Stat Leaders:
    • Average: Ethan Petry (.378)
    • OBP: Carson Hornug (.475)
    • SLG: Ethan Petry (.761)
    • OPS: Ethan Petry (1.222)
    • Hits: Ethan Petry (71)
    • Runs: Cole Messina (54)
    • RBIs: Ethan Petry (68)
    • Doubles: Cole Messina (17)
    • Triples: Michael Braswell (2)
    • Home Runs: Ethan Petry (21)
    • Stolen Bases: Braylen Wimmer (13)
    • ERA: Eli Jerzembeck (2.84)
    • BAA: Matthew Becker (.225)
    • WHIP: Eli Jerzembeck (1.12)
    • Innings Pitched: Jack Mahoney (57.0)
    • Strikeouts: Will Sanders (66)
    • Wins: James Hicks (6)
    • Saves: Chris Veach (5)
ON DECK
Tennessee will await its seed in the 2023 SEC Tournament which will begin either Tuesday or Wednesday in Hoover, Alabama.

Let's take over Founders Park and win this series.

They had commercial fans and a huge “bubble“ over the field to assist with drying & extracting the water around 1pm. They were also pumping water out at a rapid rate. Wish they would have pushed DH to 4pm and 8pm today with full 9 inning games.
Home cooking… I think @greasemachine was right.

VN Store

Back