The Official Tennessee vs LSU College World Series Game 1 Thread (Sat. June 17 7PM EST) ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most runs scored so far is 6 . One game score was 3-2 we faced the No1 projected pitcher in the draft. That also will probably set the college record for strike out for the season. The guys hit 4 or 5 balls right at em off Skenes given a wide strike zone. Sure we we're given a few out of the zone but they probably received 3X as many. GBO đź’Ą
Yes, and even though his pitch count was getting very high, they were obviously afraid to take him out of the game until we figured out a way to hit him. Then our bats came alive. LSU has the two aces, but they have spent Skenes 122 pitches till next week, unless their coach doesn't care about their players' major league career. After watching the other games, the rest of this league is not a cake walk and you will need more weapons then one super pitcher to get through it.

Reactions: volsagain
Umpires are terrible, we will that game 20-0 if we have robot strike zones, the umpires are out to get us and we’re paid off by LSU coaches to intentionally ruin any chance we have of winning the college World Series. Better?
Umpires are ALWAYS terrible...............you have to adjust..........no excuse for all the amount of 3rd call strikes.....if that is where the umps gonna call it..........you cant stand there and look at it!

I would say at least half of our strikeouts were due to a clueless idiot behind the plate.
There were so many occasions where the ump called a first pitch strike on balls out of the zone. That’s a huge advantage for any pitcher, much less Skenes. The batter has little chance of recovering at that point. Also, this umpire called more strikes that were high and just up a bit. SEC umps weren’t calling those upper zone pitches nearly as much this year.

Skenes is special no doubt and LSU is clearly the #1 team with him on the mound. Proud our guys didn't quit. All the talk though about him jumping to MLB will be interesting. That Ball4 call on CMo is a Walk in MLB, and maybe a game changer in the other team's favor. 2 on and 2 out is different than taking the field.

The strike Zone last night was different than any game we played all year. That pitcher with that strike zone was a very tough draw. Tip of the cap 🧢 to LSU great Team though.

Reactions: wmcovol
There were so many occasions where the ump called a first pitch strike on balls out of the zone. That’s a huge advantage for any pitcher, much less Skenes. The batter has little chance of recovering at that point. Also, this umpire called more strikes that were high and just up a bit. SEC umps weren’t calling those upper zone pitches nearly as much this year.
Completely agree. There is a huge difference between a 1-1 and 2-0 count. Changes the entire dynamic of a batter’s approach.

There was a news story about that very subject, wondering how we and other SEC teams would adjust to an expanded strike zone ump.

Hats off to Skenes that dude can deal!!! The umpire gave him some favorable calls but let’s not take anything away from him he was still hitting triple digits in the 8th with his pitch count in the 120’s.

Reactions: South Florida Vol
Umpires are ALWAYS terrible...............you have to adjust..........no excuse for all the amount of 3rd call strikes.....if that is where the umps gonna call it..........you cant stand there and look at it!

A couple of those strikes couldn’t be hit with a swing unless you stepped on the plate. There was no way Denton could hit that high and outside pitch. I don’t know what else you expect. Plate discipline is plate discipline. You don’t just change in a game

Hats off to Skenes that dude can deal!!! The umpire gave him some favorable calls but let’s not take anything away from him he was still hitting triple digits in the 8th with his pitch count in the 120’s.
He is talented but I have no respect for the kid. Turned his back on a military school. No thanks.

With our bats, I'll settle for one against Stanford and be happy. Amazed that this team made Omaha.

I am too. Making it to Omaha is a highly successful season. I’m just enjoying it at this point.

That doesn’t mean I’m giving up. This team has shown the ability to come back with our backs against the wall. They have developed a fight about them that last year’s team never had to develop.

I’m just not super nervous about it. I don’t think we’ll beat Matthews. Drawing Skenes then Matthews is just brutally bad luck. No one else got an opposing pitching draw even close to that. BUT if we manage to beat Matthews tomorrow, look out for the Vols. I know Wake has great pitching, but Beam is better than their 3rd guy. And we have a pitching advantage over LSU after Skenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back