***The Official US Open Thread***

You sure? Sounds like he just wants to gather a little more information about where the Open is played this year. Now if he's that way about everything, then.....

If he wanted the information he would go read about it on the numerous websites one can find by doing a simple google search on the Merion Golf Club. All he really wants to do is complain about it.

If he wanted the information he would go read about it on the numerous websites one can find by doing a simple google search on the Merion Golf Club. All he really wants to do is complain about it.

so what. All you do is complain about everything. I don't like some things about the course, and you are butthurt about it. I'm sure the course appreciates your support.

This course played differently when the top drivers on tour were hitting around 290 yards. Technology has made it such that no one wants a driver there.

This course played differently when the top drivers on tour were hitting around 290 yards. Technology has made it such that no one wants a driver there.

It's odd to me to have a major where not one golfer carries a driver. Today there is a 98 yard par 3 and a 600 yard par 5. There is a 250ish? par 3. A 301 par 4 that was the finishing hole for the first 2 days with guys hitting an iron and chipping from just off the green.

I guess I am offending the golf gods because it's historic. It is pretty in some areas, but if it didn't have the history, would they even consider playing there? Doubt it.

The greens haven't even firmed up yet. I love the test that the US Open brings to the field, but I'm not a big fan of the winner being over par. I think that is a real possibility, this year. jmo

Sparty, sorry you came in here looking for info & got hammered. Usually not like that here. Hope this bad visit is not your last

Oh man I don't care. I was looking for opinions on it. If I tell you to Google a subject, it means I don't have a clue how to answer your question.

what makes this course special? They finally understand the concept of Tiger Proofing a course. Making a course stupid long does nothing except take the short hitters out of the game. Tiger has nothing to worry there. You miss the fairway, you're screwed. That said, the course still plays at 7,000 yards, it's not really that short. That's only 120 less than Olympic last year and depending on setup, longer than Congressional. It's also in the same ballpark as Pebble Beach. Everyone wants to talk about Horschel hitting every green in regulation. How did he do that? Well, he only missed two fairways. That's a much more telling stat imo. The rough truly is penalizing. Hit fairways, hit greens, that's the instrumental rule in good golf. And the rough is everywhere. Tiger can't hit a wayward drive 70 yards off the fairway and be on some corporate tent grounds and essentially still be hitting off the fairway here. He's finally having to hit out of nasty rough. Jack says Merion might be the best test of golf in the world and he knows a thing or two. Golf Digest consistently ranks it as a top ten course. It definitely has its merits to earn an Open.

Last edited:
what makes this course special? They finally understand the concept of Tiger Proofing a course. Making a course stupid long does nothing except take the short hitters out of the game. Tiger has nothing to worry there. You miss the fairway, you're screwed. That said, the course still plays at 7,000 yards, it's not really that short. That's only 120 less than Olympic last year and depending on setup, longer than Congressional. It's also in the same ballpark as Pebble Beach. Everyone wants to talk about Horschel hitting every green in regulation. How did he do that? Well, he only missed two fairways. That's a much more telling stat imo. The rough truly is penalizing. Hit fairways, hit greens, that's the instrumental rule in good golf. And the rough is everywhere. Tiger can't hit a wayward drive 70 yards off the fairway and be on some corporate tent grounds and essentially still be hitting off the fairway here. He's finally having to hit out of nasty rough. Jack says Merion might be the best test of golf in the world and he knows a thing or two. Golf Digest consistently ranks it as a top ten course. It definitely has its merits to earn an Open.

Not a bad answer. I also like the fact that the course forces you to shape your shot.

Appreciate the feedback Bill. I may be focusing more on a couple of holes that I feel are gimmicky. I guess its a true test of target golf. I wouldn't play well there, which is probably why I don't like it as much as others.
It is crazy that 7100 is considered short. I can't wait to watch today and tomorrow.

Seems like to win the US Open, the players should need to hit driver...
Since in most competitive golf rounds, they hit driver 60-70% of the time

I can appreciate the history of Merion, but I believe the USGA also sacrificed fan support in picking Merion...
Given the condensed space available, they turned away about 10,000 fans that could have attended at a venue with more space...

I don't consider it target golf, but you can't just crush a driver and go from there like a lot of courses either and that's apoealing. Its a course built for great putters (see Steve Stricker) and great ball strikers (Horschel, Rose and Mahan), not for bombers.

Seems like to win the US Open, the players should need to hit driver...
Since in most competitive golf rounds, they hit driver 60-70% of the time

I can appreciate the history of Merion, but I believe the USGA also sacrificed fan support in picking Merion...
Given the condensed space available, they turned away about 10,000 fans that could have attended at a venue with more space...

It's not about history, it's about ability at all aspects. Drive for show, putt for dough.

I can see both sides. But you can make any course ridiculously hard by shrinking the fairways and growing the rough so thick you can't get the ball out. I assume the rough is what makes it a true test.

They rolled the fairways last night. Should make it interesting seeing who can keep it on the short stuff.

I can see both sides. But you can make any course ridiculously hard by shrinking the fairways and growing the rough so thick you can't get the ball out. I assume the rough is what makes it a true test.

I'd be a lot less critical of USGA setups if they'd cut the rough down to about an inch right off the fairway and then mow it high 5 yards further out. I don't like 20 yard wide fairways with hay growing immediately off the fairway. It's just too severe a penalty for barely missing. I don't like bomb and gouge golf, but I think there should be some margin for error when trying to thread a needle from 280; especially when they're setting pins on car hoods.

VN Store

Back