***The Official US Open Thread***

I'd be a lot less critical of USGA setups if they'd cut the rough down to about an inch right off the fairway and then mow it high 5 yards further out. I don't like 20 yard wide fairways with hay growing immediately off the fairway. It's just too severe a penalty for barely missing. I don't like bomb and gouge golf, but I think there should be some margin for error when trying to thread a needle from 280; especially when they're setting pins on car hoods.

Rolling fairways is too much. That's just dumb and begins to take the fun out of the game. I've never liked the ultra fast greens they always set up with ridiculous Holos, but I accept it. But rolling the fairways is just ridiculous. They have a vendetta against golfers actually scoring and that takes the fun out of it. The Masters is so loved because good golf shots create good scoring opportunities and that's what the fans (and players) are there for.

I'd be a lot less critical of USGA setups if they'd cut the rough down to about an inch right off the fairway and then mow it high 5 yards further out. I don't like 20 yard wide fairways with hay growing immediately off the fairway. It's just too severe a penalty for barely missing. I don't like bomb and gouge golf, but I think there should be some margin for error when trying to thread a needle from 280; especially when they're setting pins on car hoods.

I agree. I just can't bow down to a course because Hogan hit a butter knife for a W. Great history, but its 2013 golf.

I agree. I just can't bow down to a course because Hogan hit a butter knife for a W. Great history, but its 2013 golf.

your beef isn't with the history or even Merion Golf Club, it's with the USGA. You need to come to that understanding. How you keep failing to do so is baffling.

your beef isn't with the history, it's with the USGA. You need to come to that understanding. How you keep failing to do so is baffling.

Wtf are you talking about. My point is that you and others say we should love this course because of the history. That's the main reason that has been given. Your lack of understanding is more baffling than your use of baffling in a simple conversation. I don't know how you surmise my discussion about growing the rough to a ridiculous length has me confused if its the fault of 1930 and Hogan or the usga.
And questioning the silliness of some of the course issues hits a nerve with some, for whatever reason

Wtf are you talking about. My point is that you and others say we should love this course because of the history. That's the main reason that has been given. Your lack of understanding is more baffling than your use of baffling in a simple conversation. I don't know how you surmise my discussion about growing the rough to a ridiculous length has me confused if its the fault of 1930 and Hogan or the usga.
And questioning the silliness of some of the course issues hits a nerve with some, for whatever reason

I never once brought up the history. Not one time. Learn to read and know who you're talking to. The USGA eliminated the first cut, just like they do everywhere. The USGA made the greens this firm, they selected the ridiculous holos that give you no chance of going for the pin. I already pointed out to you that the course really isn't any shorter than many of the other common US Open venues. The USGA tightened and now rolled the fairways to make it even harder to land the ball in the fairway. You need to understand who's at fault for your beefs.

Last edited:

This couldn't be further from the truth. He listed exactly why this is a US Open course, with detail. I don't usually like to disagree with people with whom I share a common interest, but that's wayyy wrong.

I never once brought up the history. Not one time. Learn to read and know who you're talking to. The USGA eliminated the first cut, just like they do everywhere. The USGA made the greens this firm, they selected the ridiculous holos that give you no chance of going for the pin. I already pointed out to you that the course really isn't any shorter than many of the other common US Open venues. The USGA tightened and now rolled the fairways to make it even harder to land the ball in the fairway. You need to understand who's at fault for your beefs.

Know who I am talking to? At this point, a guy being a dick when he posts his ewang. If you don't think I know the usga sets up the course, that's your problem. Tell me one time I laid the blame on anyone else, per your ridiculous idea that I did.
My problem has been with the course and its quirks from the onset. The original question talked about logistics and the rough. Tell me again how I am confused as to who is responsible. Maybe you should learn to read and with whom you are speaking.

See, that makes someone sound like an arrogant prick, does it not.

This couldn't be further from the truth. He listed exactly why this is a US Open course, with detail. I don't usually like to disagree with people with whom I share a common interest, but that's wayyy wrong.

I wasn't referring to you, but to summarize, he said he or others like it because its tiger proofed, you can't bomb a drive in another fairway and have a shot, you have to be accurate due to the rough, and Jack said it was a huge test. I understand those points fine. I just don't think its that big of a deal, and would rather see golfers hitting driver or 3 wood.
Again, a differing opinion causes butthurt.

Know who I am talking to? At this point, a guy being a dick when he posts his ewang. If you don't think I know the usga sets up the course, that's your problem. Tell me one time I laid the blame on anyone else, per your ridiculous idea that I did.
My problem has been with the course and its quirks from the onset. The original question talked about logistics and the rough. Tell me again how I am confused as to who is responsible. Maybe you should learn to read and with whom you are speaking.

See, that makes someone sound like an arrogant prick, does it not.

not really. It just makes you sound stupid.

The USGA made Olympic unrealistically harder than it typically plays and for how it should play in an Open. They'll do the same to #2 next year. They all but destroyed Winged Foot a few years back to make it insane to play. Bethpage Black is already an absolute monster and they decided to take any scoring opportunities away there. It's what the USGA does. You're blaming the course, when the USGA has come in, drastically changed the course's genuine concept and created a monster to play. Yet, you want to play the blame game on the course itself.

I wasn't referring to you, but to summarize, he said he or others like it because its tiger proofed, you can't bomb a drive in another fairway and have a shot, you have to be accurate due to the rough, and Jack said it was a huge test. I understand those points fine. I just don't think its that big of a deal, and would rather see golfers hitting driver or 3 wood.

No, you said I talked about history. I never once talked about history. Now you're backtracking to what I said and pretending you've been using that as your argument all along. No one is buying your garbage. Go back and let the "a-holes" from the other site bother you some more if you're just going to keep making stuff up.

I knew you weren't talking to me and I'm sorry, don't like getting in the middle, but I felt what you said was wrong. Bill made his case, I believe stronger than yours. Peace, and enjoy an open championship. :peace2:

No, you said I talked about history. I never once talked about history. Now you're backtracking to what I said and pretending you've been using that as your argument all along. No one is buying your garbage. Go back and let the "a-holes" from the other site bother you some more if you're just going to keep making stuff up.

Right, you didn't say anything about jack nicklaus or the course rankings history. Never once.
I'll chalk this up to another angry little man syndrome that allows the internet to be a medium for aholes to act like bigger ones. Congrats on your accomplishment.

Now, back to golf.

Right, you didn't say anything about jack nicklaus or the course rankings history. Never once.
I'll chalk this up to another angry little man syndrome that allows the internet to be a medium for aholes to act like bigger ones. Congrats on your accomplishment.

Now, back to golf.

that's not talking about history dumb***. that's just stating facts. Jack Nicklaus. The Jack Nicklaus, The Golden Bear, he says the course is one of, if not the toughest test in golf. That's just a fact. It has nothing to do with what happened 40 years ago or 80. Golf Digest always ranks this course up there with all the others, usually above them. How do you want to determine who gets a US Open? You gonna pick them. Obviously you're a smarter golfer than Jack. You're the one with the issue, not me. Stating what Jack Nicklaus says about a course and what the leading golf magazine says about a course has nothing to do with "history". Notice that no one is defending your ignorance? Who really has little man syndrome?

I knew you weren't talking to me and I'm sorry, don't like getting in the middle, but I felt what you said was wrong. Bill made his case, I believe stronger than yours. Peace, and enjoy an open championship. :peace2:

Opinions are fine my man. Some clowns on here just don't think others are allowed to have them, and if they are different. Do you see me calling anyone else a dummy because they like the course? Nope. Do you see me telling billahole his opinion sucks? Nope.
Whe eego sets in, all bets are off.

Opinions are fine my man. Some clowns on here just don't think others are allowed to have them, and if they are different. Do you see me calling anyone else a dummy because they like the course? Nope. Do you see me telling billahole his opinion sucks? Nope.
Whe eego sets in, all bets are off.

Again, not what I'm telling you. But nice try. Billahole, gosh you're so clever.

not really. It just makes you sound stupid.

The USGA made Olympic unrealistically harder than it typically plays and for how it should play in an Open. They'll do the same to #2 next year. They all but destroyed Winged Foot a few years back to make it insane to play. Bethpage Black is already an absolute monster and they decided to take any scoring opportunities away there. It's what the USGA does. You're blaming the course, when the USGA has come in, drastically changed the course's genuine concept and created a monster to play. Yet, you want to play the blame game on the course itself.

Bethpage Black was insane a few years back

I don't consider it target golf, but you can't just crush a driver and go from there like a lot of courses either and that's apoealing. Its a course built for great putters (see Steve Stricker) and great ball strikers (Horschel, Rose and Mahan), not for bombers.

The names mentioned here continue to shine while the bomb and gaugers are mostly struggling. While I still think they (yet again) went overboard, I appreciate that a different style of player gets to excel at a major. I really think with these greens, the par 3s would have been fine at the traditional lengths

VN Store

Back