The Official Zone Severe Weather Thread

And we're driving to the orange part of NC on Friday! 😜
UNCA has just suspended operations except for critical staffing and advised resident students to go home, due to the overnight change in the forecast and risk of catastrophic flooding. They don’t know if they’ll be able to keep dining halls etc open. If the wedding is still on, please be safe driving, especially in low areas.

Reactions: Vjcvette
We do, but news is saying expect to lose it tonight. I had Tiffany and her dad fill up a bunch of empty bottles (i have a bag full for recycling) , and pit them in the freezer. We have plenty of non perishable food, candles, and flashlights. I'm hoping by some miracle, we miss losing power.
On the radio into work, they were talking about Hurricane Hugo anniversary this week and memories. I remember that as it was a direct hit to Charleston. But what was funny, they were saying this is going to be GA's hurricane hugo, they don't get the hurricanes like the coast. They were all excited for you guys. lol.

UNCA has just suspended operations except for critical staffing and advised resident students to go home, due to the overnight change in the forecast and risk of catastrophic flooding. They don’t know if they’ll be able to keep dining halls etc open. If the wedding is still on, please be safe driving, especially in low areas.
I'm going to talk to Kevin about us leaving Saturday morning instead. A lot of family is in GA or flying through Atlanta to come tomorrow, don't see that happening.

I'm going to talk to Kevin about us leaving Saturday morning instead. A lot of family is in GA or flying through Atlanta to come tomorrow, don't see that happening.
I was trying to visualize your route. Are you coming US 74 and 64? They’ve already got some closures on 64 per Google Maps.

I just can’t believe how much rain we’ve gotten from the cold front alone, when the hurricane hasn’t even started for us yet. All these mountain roads following creeks and rivers are not doing well.

Good luck!

Reactions: Vjcvette
Damn! If all that water was in my house for the what, 3rd time in as many years, I'd just shat myself.
After Ian his next door neighbor decided not to return so my dad bought his house. It needed remodeling after the hurricane but because of everything needing rebuilding or remodeling and it being on an island, it's taken forever.

He wants to move but won't until he gets the house finished and sold and gets his on the market. So, he's kinda stuck.

After Ian his next door neighbor decided not to return so my dad bought his house. It needed remodeling after the hurricane but because of everything needing rebuilding or remodeling and it being on an island, it's taken forever.

He wants to move but won't until he gets the house finished and sold and gets his on the market. So, he's kinda stuck.
I wish the best for him.

Tough situation. I’m sorry he’s going through all this again. I wish him all good luck!

I was trying to visualize your route. Are you coming US 74 and 64? They’ve already got some closures on 64 per Google Maps.

I just can’t believe how much rain we’ve gotten from the cold front alone, when the hurricane hasn’t even started for us yet. All these mountain roads following creeks and rivers are not doing well.

Good luck!
Yes, 74 to 64. Or 85 to 26 to 64. 64 being closed would be tough! Some of those waterfalls in that area are going to be overflowing!

And my work has a sign that sats we know the storm is coming, there's gonna be heavy rain, and tropical force (possibly hurricane) winds, but we're working full operations, be careful coming to work. 😅😅. I mean I'm working anyway, but the wording could be a little more better worded🤣. I wanted to taje a picture, but it's hanging on the security office as you wslk in.
Our plants always posted that operations would continue as normal and employess should decide if they can safely report to work. Most times we had more than adequate attendance, and the facilities were much safer for hunkering down than most homes.

Wont hurt nothing to fill a bath tub full of water just in case. It'll come in handy if you lose water and need to flush a toilet.
We converted to city water not long back when the submerged well pump died. About same expense considering our well cover is buried and would have to be dug out to pull the line. Don't have to worry about losing water when well pressure declines anymore.

It's crazy ya'll already getting that much that far ahead of the primary storm.

My step son lives just outside Valdosta, GA to the NE. Between Valdosta and little ole Lakeland. They are gonna get pummeled no matter which route it takes on into GA. He's got family in Macon, and Hartwell but has no plans to hit the road with the newborn and two 3 year olds they'd have to pack up for. Big Dummy. We'll only get heavy remnants here in middle TN if it curls west at the tail end as in one of the models. I'm thinking any normal jet stream pattern would keep it mostly to the east of the Smokies.

Reactions: VolNExile

VN Store

Back