The Official Zone Severe Weather Thread

tl;dr
It's bad here. I've never seen so many trees down from the heavy rains (feels like I've said this in the past couple of years).
We were out of school today. The lights flickered at school a couple of times yesterday afternoon, but the power stayed on for us.
Some of the schools over there lost power late in the day yesterday.
A lot of the students were dreading going home because they knew their power was out.
Buddy of mine has been without power since 11am yesterday, and the wind hasn't even got here yet. It's just all this rain.
People have chit for brains when driving on roads with standing water. Trucks on I-26 can SIAS. The older I get, the more it unnerves me.
Here's hoping errbody stays safe in this mess.

tl;dr
It's bad here. I've never seen so many trees down from the heavy rains (feels like I've said this in the past couple of years).
We were out of school today. The lights flickered at school a couple of times yesterday afternoon, but the power stayed on for us.
A lot of the students were dreading going home because they knew their power was out.
Buddy of mine has been without power since 11am yesterday, and the wind hasn't even got here yet. It's just all this rain.
People have chit for brains when driving on roads with standing water. Trucks on I-26 can SIAS. The older I get, the more it unnerves me.
Thank you for posting in your normal language. I actually read one of your posts in it's entirety. Lulz.

Reactions: VolNExile
tl;dr
I’ve been happily at home since yesterday afternoon, so no clue about the trees.

But for even the trees not down (yet): the ground is absolutely soaked, and if we get 60-70 mph winds, they’ll come up out of the ground very easily.

Our church is taking on water on the lower levels…

Maybe they’ll be able to reschedule. It’s such a shame, I’m sure there has been a ton of planning! Best wishes to all for their safety, whatever is finally decided.
A tropical storm hit Charleston the day of my sister's wedding. Lots of changes, but it was still a fantastic day. I'm sure they are going through all of the emotions of trying to figure out what to do.

We are going to monitor and decide when to leave.

Reactions: VolNExile
I’ve been happily at home since yesterday afternoon, so no clue about the trees.

But for even the trees not down (yet): the ground is absolutely soaked, and if we get 60-70 mph winds, they’ll come up out of the ground very easily.

Bummer

Hope the church stays as dry as possible!
I have to pick up meds sometime between now and Saturday.
I'm thinkin about going out now and getting everything in here.
And, whether school's closed tomorrow or not, I might just stay in.
I really hate going out in the crap weather, and I'm a 45-minute drive to and from work.
The standing water on the roads really unnerves me a lot, and yesterday afternoon was as bad as I've ever seen with the trucks and idiots.

I really hate going out in the crap weather, and I'm a 45-minute drive to and from work.
The standing water on the roads really unnerves me a lot, and yesterday afternoon was as bad as I've ever seen with the trucks and idiots.
Surely they’ll close the schools? No school system wants the legal (or moral) risk of a school bus wrecking on country roads, just so they can get their state attendance money by keeping schools open.

Reactions: Tin Man and GordonC
I just made the trek home from the office. I am glad to be home.

Surely they’ll close the schools? No school system wants the legal (or moral) risk of a school bus wrecking on country roads, just so they can get their state attendance money by keeping schools open.
The grandkids attend city schools here in Kingsport. They went today.
But Sullivan County schools were closed, as were the ones in Greene, Hawkins, Washington, and Unicoi.
I think the only city schools closed today were Rogersville and Greeneville.

@82_VOL_83
@volwindy

Link to current WNC road closures:

@82_VOL_83 I think these are all south of GVG’s route, but I @‘d you just in case.
GVG just sent me this. I am trying to convince her to stay in Charlotte until Saturday morning.

@Behr How are you (and your dad) doing in actual hurricane country?
I'm good. I'm approximately 17 ft elevation and little worry of flooding. Wind is my concern and it has to get really bad for me to get hit hard.

Dad on the other hand is pretty much at sea level and 20 feet from water. He's at the waiting point now to see what the night brings with the new tide. So frustrating to already be flooded and now wait to see if you get it again, or how bad. It could be worse this time.

Screenshot_20240926_142441_Chrome.jpg

I'm good. I'm approximately 17 ft elevation and little worry of flooding. Wind is my concern and it has to get really bad for me to get hit hard.

Dad on the other hand is pretty much at sea level and 20 feet from water. He's at the waiting point now to see what the night brings with the new tide. So frustrating to already be flooded and now wait to see if you get it again, or how bad. It could be worse this time.

View attachment 680945
Keeping him and all the others near the Gulf in my prayers.

VN Store

Back