The Official Zone Severe Weather Thread

His freezers full of Fresh Gulf Ocean fish are downstairs in the garage. He put them on 4" blocks and he has 2 generators. But none of that does any good if the water gets 5" or higher. He said it's close now.
Does he have a sump pump (or similar) that will run off the generator? Just keeping things bailed enough until the tides drop a bit.

I’d be a wreck. ☹️

Just heard from the mom of one my old friends. He closed on a condo in Mexico Beach last week and hadnt made it down there yet. They took a buncha movin trucks on a detour until this passes.

My cousins in punta gorda is staying put.

Havent heard from cousin on marco.

Reactions: ArdentVol
So I know my concerns are minor next to your dads, but everytime we get alot of rain I end up with a wet ruined basement with a few inches of water.....wifey and I (as I said in prayers thread) are like traumatized by rain at this point. Anytime I hear hard rain I feel stomach start to knot up.

So today I decided I would do battle....granted at a ghetto budget. (still spent 500 or so if you add up everything)
helen3.jpg

helene1.jpg

helene2.jpg

...and the result?

.....rain has barely started here and I now already have water coming into basement.....and I have no idea from where. I have a gap around the slab around my whole house...once that fills it then starts to leak from half a dozen different low points around the basement, so I never actually know for sure where water is coming from. trickling but there......I can't even turn on that sump pump until I get about an inch on back basement patio. Which also means I'll be up all night waiting to hit the switch.

I can't even deal with much rain here, I don't want to even think what the poor people on coast are dealing with...I mean I am watching it but this already sucks in my home and the rain won't really start in earnest here till 5am. If my basement was a person I'd shoot em and bury them on the backside of the mtn.

I feel sorta B**ch to even complain given I am not going to see hurricaine winds, and any real flooding like my friends and family south of us (we have alot of fam in south/middle Jawjaw and I think they already had nader touch down earlier near them... so I realize my issues are insignificant, ......but it still sucks....

Reactions: ArdentVol and Behr
Been watching ventusky but it only clocks to 90mph on wind speeds, but rain fall is pretty damn accurate..well up to 2 inches and hour.

Desktop Screenshot 2024.09.26 - 21.20.53.66.png

Reactions: Behr
@volwindy
@82_VOL_83 (for GVG)

Holy shiznit, don’t head this way Friday morning. Click on “Latest Weathercast” (will probably be update at 11 tonight) and slide to “futurecast”, and look at the predicted wind speeds for 7:30 am and next few hours.

(I’m sorry - you’ve probably already posted alternate plans, but I’ve lost track.)

@volwindy
@82_VOL_83 (for GVG)

Holy shiznit, don’t head this way Friday morning. Click on “Latest Weathercast” (will probably be update at 11 tonight) and slide to “futurecast”, and look at the predicted wind speeds for 7:30 am and next few hours.

(I’m sorry - you’ve probably already posted alternate plans, but I’ve lost track.)

Ashville and all of western N.C. may see worst of it..looking a lot like Camille situation rain wise.....1969. Mudslides....epic flash flooding.. :(

It's worse than i thought. Just saw video on the news. At 6 pm the Gulf was breaching the road. So dad is getting it from both sides. The road that leads to the causeway to get on Sanibel is closed and under water.

Poor coastypop is getting hammered too.

This thing is devastating 😢

So I know my concerns are minor next to your dads, but everytime we get alot of rain I end up with a wet ruined basement with a few inches of water.....wifey and I (as I said in prayers thread) are like traumatized by rain at this point. Anytime I hear hard rain I feel stomach start to knot up.

So today I decided I would do battle....granted at a ghetto budget. (still spent 500 or so if you add up everything)
View attachment 681084

View attachment 681078

View attachment 681080

...and the result?

.....rain has barely started here and I now already have water coming into basement.....and I have no idea from where. I have a gap around the slab around my whole house...once that fills it then starts to leak from half a dozen different low points around the basement, so I never actually know for sure where water is coming from. trickling but there......I can't even turn on that sump pump until I get about an inch on back basement patio. Which also means I'll be up all night waiting to hit the switch.

I can't even deal with much rain here, I don't want to even think what the poor people on coast are dealing with...I mean I am watching it but this already sucks in my home and the rain won't really start in earnest here till 5am. If my basement was a person I'd shoot em and bury them on the backside of the mtn.

I feel sorta B**ch to even complain given I am not going to see hurricaine winds, and any real flooding like my friends and family south of us (we have alot of fam in south/middle Jawjaw and I think they already had nader touch down earlier near them... so I realize my issues are insignificant, ......but it still sucks....
That sucks. Where are you?

It's worse than i thought. Just saw video on the news. At 6 pm the Gulf was breaching the road. So dad is getting it from both sides. The road that leads to the causeway to get on Sanibel is closed and under water.

Poor coastypop is getting hammered too.

This thing is devastating 😢
They are not near storm surge are they?

The weather channel just said they’re asking people who didn’t evacuate to write their names and address on their body to help identify them if they don’t make it.

Crazy
On a much smaller level, UNCA asked all resident students who stayed on campus to log in, so that they know who’s in which dorm and where. Just in case.

Appalachicola is my favorite part of Florida breaks my heart so many old Florida homes, live oaks etc…..was a time capsule of what Florida used to be like…. Hoping it avoids worst but doesn’t look it. What is crazy to me is even east coast has 14 ft waves..

VN Store

Back