The Red Line: Part Deux

If your assumptions are correct then that gaffe was a good thing.

yep, very likely that an idiot SoS saved a clueless Pres from starting a war. If we bomb and start hitting Russian advisers then it could get ugly. Of course that could have also been the reason for releasing a target list before a strike was authorized.

Reactions: 1 person
I seriously question whether or not we would have struck without this "deal". Congress wasn't going to support it so Obama would have had to do it on his own. Not sure he would have pulled the trigger.

I seriously question whether or not we would have struck without this "deal". Congress wasn't going to support it so Obama would have had to do it on his own. Not sure he would have pulled the trigger.

to be honest I doubt it would have been the last chemical attack by Assad if Congress failed to authorize a strike.

why am I replaying the UT-Oregon game in my head after this? Feels like the 1st quarter just ended in Syria

120802OlyBorisPutin_6495176.jpg

Macho Macho Man

BarackGaydar.jpg

I want to be a Macho Man

Reactions: 1 person
it challenges Russia being the supplier of oil/NG to Europe. Pretty sure that would severely damage their economy

Russia already has a pipeline to Europe. Based on my (admittedly limited) research, the pipeline in Syria only connects Middle East states. How does this impact Russia's sales to Europe?

OK, did more reading on the supposed pipeline politics. The part that doesn't fit is that Assad did favour an Iranian pipeline which would hurt Russia's trade.

Syria intervention plans fuelled by oil interests, not chemical weapon concerns | Nafeez Ahmed | Environment | theguardian.com

Syria’s Pipeline War: “Operation Gas Pains”

from your first link

These strategic concerns, motivated by fear of expanding Iranian influence, impacted Syria primarily in relation to pipeline geopolitics. In 2009 - the same year former French foreign minister Dumas alleges the British began planning operations in Syria - Assad refused to sign a proposed agreement with Qatar that would run a pipeline from the latter's North field, contiguous with Iran's South Pars field, through Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Syria and on to Turkey, with a view to supply European markets - albeit crucially bypassing Russia. Assad's rationale was "to protect the interests of [his] Russian ally, which is Europe's top supplier of natural gas."

It is this - the problem of establishing a pliable opposition which the US and its oil allies feel confident will play ball, pipeline-style, in a post-Assad Syria - that will determine the nature of any prospective intervention: not concern for Syrian life.
Qatar is basically a rich nation without the means to deliver yet. They have also signed an agreement with Exxon to sell NG through the US

there are multiple rebel groups being funded by multiple countries in Syria. It's a country of great importance because of location. No one gives a damn about the people except when they need pics to advance their agenda

So Saudi isn't driven by pipelines, per se, but it wants influence over the Syrian government and to check Iran, correct?

So Saudi isn't driven by pipelines, per se, but it wants influence over the Syrian government and to check Iran, correct?

I would still say it's driven my the pipelines because of where they cross. What I think is they want control over all resources in the region and use the US to do that. I have no doubt they are the bag men behind the fall of govts in the region

from what I've read there are lots of resources popping up around them and they are trying to keep those in check. I look to the comments of a Saudi prince about the need for them to diversify as the reasoning. They realize their fields could get much less valuable as new resources and recovery methods become available

most of that is just my opinion though with little to back it up :)

I look to the comments of a Saudi prince about the need for them to diversify as the reasoning. They realize their fields could get much less valuable as new resources and recovery methods become available

Yes, Arabian countries are attempting to diversify their economies, but I don't agree with this at all. Saudis can still control oil prices more than anyone. Just scale back production 25% and watch prices soar.

VN Store

Back