The Thread Where People Argue About Kneeling in the NFL (merged)

It happened a bunch in this thread and forum where people said, "Go woke, go broke," or took some similar position on sports. They would point to TV ratings and say these businesses were dying because of the displays of left-wing political behavior.

On several occasions, I explained the new reality of TV and that traditional TV ratings don't tell the story anymore. A few times, to illustrate the point, I guaranteed that the next NBA TV contract would be even bigger than the current one. Some people were arguing that ESPN was force-feeding us the NBA because they were stuck with a sunk cost.

I must've made this point half a dozen times and I don't think anybody ever accepted it. I think people think I just blow smoke on stuff like this. I don't make guarantees unless I'm really certain.

Looks like the new TV deal will be 2.5x bigger than the last one. $76B!! And guess who's back in on the deal? ESPN, of course.

It happened a bunch in this thread and forum where people said, "Go woke, go broke," or took some similar position on sports. They would point to TV ratings and say these businesses were dying because of the displays of left-wing political behavior.

On several occasions, I explained the new reality of TV and that traditional TV ratings don't tell the story anymore. A few times, to illustrate the point, I guaranteed that the next NBA TV contract would be even bigger than the current one. Some people were arguing that ESPN was force-feeding us the NBA because they were stuck with a sunk cost.

I must've made this point half a dozen times and I don't think anybody ever accepted it. I think people think I just blow smoke on stuff like this. I don't make guarantees unless I'm really certain.

Looks like the new TV deal will be 2.5x bigger than the last one. $76B!! And guess who's back in on the deal? ESPN, of course.

Good call Huff.

Your snarky validation is a bonus but I'm after the slient validation I will get from the fools who argued with me about this (and probably forgot they did).

I fought like mad against huff on this. I still say go woke, go broke, no joke or choke.

Personally, I think huff chipped in about 50B dollars of his own money to the TVmcontract just so he could take a victory lap in this thread.

Very petty. Very sad.

Ha ha, or Kevin Love belonging on the 2021 Olympic team...

Was I wrong? He got hurt, so it didn't play out. I guess durability is why I was wrong about that? Kevin Love was 2nd in 6MOY the next season and then played important minutes for a finals team 2 years after that, so IDK....seems like I was proven that he was still qualified to be a bench player providing 3's and rebounding for good teams. Team USA can't all be made of guys who take 20 FGA's per game. That's why the first call goes to Jrue Holiday and not Tatum or Lebron or Steph. We just don't have that many bigs who can give you 38% from 3p and 12 rebounds per 36.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
Was I wrong? He got hurt, so it didn't play out. I guess durability is why I was wrong about that? Kevin Love was 2nd in 6MOY the next season and then played important minutes for a finals team 2 years after that, so IDK....seems like I was proven that he was still qualified to be a bench player providing 3's and rebounding for good teams. Team USA can't all be made of guys who take 20 FGA's per game. That's why the first call goes to Jrue Holiday and not Tatum or Lebron or Steph. We just don't have that many bigs who can give you 38% from 3p and 12 rebounds per 36.

He sulked, gripped abput playing time, and then was "injured".

At that point of his career, he played in only 25 games and shot 40% from floor in prior season while wearing out his welcome in another stop...

Even Stevie Wonder could see how it was going to play out....

My take was as bad as yours...

Except for Ja Morant. The team really could have used hin with Jrue being worn out. Randle would have been better. C Wood was a crap take

I think Ja is exactly the kind of PG you don't want on a team like this. I love his game. It works when each team only has 2-3 stars. But it's the Iverson/Marbury thing that sunk the 2004 team. Table-setting, shooting, size, defense, in some order and then scoring is the least important thing from that position on an all-star squad. Jrue didn't have to play because we didn't have other ballhandlers. We had 4 other guys who could run offense to my satisfaction (probably all better than him at it). He played because he offered defense at the point of attack.

Looking at the team now is pretty funny. Keldon Johnson, Javale McGee, Jeremy Grant

Setting aside the "woke" screeching, how exactly is this a great contract/value for the broadcasters?

For Amazon, they are playing by completely different rules and this makes sense.

For ESPN, they need to stay relevant with live sports, but are they realistically going to be able to stay profitable? It feels like all the major live sports have them over a barrel and they knew it.

For the others, especially if NBC gets the package and tries to hide it behind Peacock, is that really a winning strategy for either side?

Reactions: Vol since 77
Setting aside the "woke" screeching, how exactly is this a great contract/value for the broadcasters?

For Amazon, they are playing by completely different rules and this makes sense.

For ESPN, they need to stay relevant with live sports, but are they realistically going to be able to stay profitable? It feels like all the major live sports have them over a barrel and they knew it.

For the others, especially if NBC gets the package and tries to hide it behind Peacock, is that really a winning strategy for either side?

Peacock got over 2m signups and retained 70% of them hosting one NFL playoff game

And for ESPN, the licensing is as important as the live sports. They can do whatever NBA content they want on any channel any hour of the day because of the licensing agreement.

I've heard that stat. I didn't believe it then, I don't believe it now.

OK.

Maybe you should believe these companies know what's best for them? Maybe you should believe Peacock doubling down on the strategy here. They have 1,000x more information than you do and they think it's a good idea.

RE: conversation about WNBA profitability....

Apparently, their TV deal is folded into the NBA TV deal and the NBA gets to decide how much of the revenue should be recognized as WNBA revenue. So when they tell us the WNBA pulled in $200m this year, let's say they assigned $100m from the TV deal to arrive at that number...for all we know their TV deal should've been recognized at $250m. They can literally name their revenue number.

VN Store

Back