The Thread Where People Argue About Kneeling in the NFL (merged)

OK.

Maybe you should believe these companies know what's best for them? Maybe you should believe Peacock doubling down on the strategy here. They have 1,000x more information than you do and they think it's a good idea.

Companies claim a lot of speculative things and actualize much dumber strategies. It wasn't that long ago McKinney talked CNN into the $300 million debacle that was CNN+.

With free trial periods, 1-month paid cancellations, stealth auto-renewal, etc. there are lots of ways to get creative with statistics.

The implication of that stat is that 2 million people accessed NBC's Peacock for the game and 1.4 million people loved Peacock so much they willingly stayed at $6 a month. I simply do not believe that to be the case.

Companies claim a lot of speculative things and actualize much dumber strategies. It wasn't that long ago McKinney talked CNN into the $300 million debacle that was CNN+.

With free trial periods, 1-month paid cancellations, stealth auto-renewal, etc. there are lots of ways to get creative with statistics.

The implication of that stat is that 2 million people accessed NBC's Peacock for the game and 1.4 million people loved Peacock so much they willingly stayed at $6 a month. I simply do not believe that to be the case.

Why not? What is so unbelievable about it?

It was well over 2m. I think the retained number was 1.7m.

You just believe what you want and there is not really a point to going further.

CNN making a $300m mistake isn't a 1:1 comparison. In one case, we have one company making an internal mistake that is peanuts in comparison. On the other hand, we have several heavy hitters lining up to pay multiple billions. They're all stupid? Let's be real, dude

Why not? What is so unbelievable about it?

It was well over 2m. I think the retained number was 1.7m.

You just believe what you want and there is not really a point to going further.

CNN making a $300m mistake isn't a 1:1 comparison. In one case, we have one company making an internal mistake that is peanuts in comparison. On the other hand, we have several heavy hitters lining up to pay multiple billions. They're all stupid? Let's be real, dude

You're making my argument even stronger. Now, 1.7 million NFL fans went to Peacock for a single NFL playoff game and stayed willingly stayed in perpetuity at $6 a month. Apparently, I was one of only ~728K people who paid $6 for the game. Hilarious.

CNN+ was just the most famous to wave the white flag. There are a plethora of streaming services still in the game losing money hand over fist including Peacock that loses between $600 and $900 million per quarter. Part of the fantasy that continues the money burn the nonsense you are articulating.

WNBA has a very low ceiling regardless of its current standing..just MO. The sports market is totally saturated.

You're making my argument even stronger. Now, 1.7 million NFL fans went to Peacock for a single NFL playoff game and stayed willingly stayed in perpetuity at $6 a month. Apparently, I was one of only ~728K people who paid $6 for the game. Hilarious.

CNN+ was just the most famous to wave the white flag. There are a plethora of streaming services still in the game losing money hand over fist including Peacock that loses between $600 and $900 million per quarter. Part of the fantasy that continues the money burn the nonsense you are articulating.

There is no logic here. You just personally find it hard to believe that you are in the 30%. Why is that so hard to believe? My sister got Peacock for the occasion and shared it with me and we still use it. I guess I should conclude from that I must not be part of the 30%, right?

NBC wants live TV eyeballs and Peacock wants signups. It's really not that complicated.

Why haven't they shut Peacock down yet?

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
For the sake of clarity, Peacock never said they had >2m signups. Apparently, that number comes from a 3rd party data company called Antenna.

It happened a bunch in this thread and forum where people said, "Go woke, go broke," or took some similar position on sports. They would point to TV ratings and say these businesses were dying because of the displays of left-wing political behavior.

On several occasions, I explained the new reality of TV and that traditional TV ratings don't tell the story anymore. A few times, to illustrate the point, I guaranteed that the next NBA TV contract would be even bigger than the current one. Some people were arguing that ESPN was force-feeding us the NBA because they were stuck with a sunk cost.

I must've made this point half a dozen times and I don't think anybody ever accepted it. I think people think I just blow smoke on stuff like this. I don't make guarantees unless I'm really certain.

Looks like the new TV deal will be 2.5x bigger than the last one. $76B!! And guess who's back in on the deal? ESPN, of course.
Good call, because if you were saying that a few years ago, I would have been one of the ones doubting you.

With that said, I still can’t understand how this may be happening right now. I’m sure you may say it is smart people involved in the deals, but I am not certain how smart these guys are anymore.

There's a sucker born everyday. Is ESPN profitable?
Would take some resourceful digging now since they are absorbed by a mega conglomerate. The NFL is the ultimate moneymaker in all of sports. For whatever reason, seasoned wing nuts cancelled the NFL and claimed ratings would slide downward. They've actually zoomed upward since the kneeling BS

Reactions: BreatheUT
Would take some resourceful digging now since they are absorbed by a mega conglomerate. The NFL is the ultimate moneymaker in all of sports. For whatever reason, seasoned wing nuts cancelled the NFL and claimed ratings would slide downward. They've actually zoomed upward since the kneeling BS

BSPN has between 2.5 and 2.7 billion of operating income per Disney 10K for 2022 ($2.7B) and 2023 ($2.5B)...

I thought the NFL was messing with their product over a qb who was bad for the locker room and hasn't seen a down since. It turned out to be a 1 or maybe 2 year fad.

I thought the NFL was messing with their product over a qb who was bad for the locker room and hasn't seen a down since. It turned out to be a 1 or maybe 2 year fad.
He hasn't seen the light of day. It's not really surprising that got passed you. Some people still, IGNORANTLY quell the NFL on purpose because of Kaepernick, who has never played a game since. No one ever thought anyone could be this stupid before social media.

He hasn't seen the light of day. It's not really surprising that got passed you. Some people still, IGNORANTLY quell the NFL on purpose because of Kaepernick, who has never played a game since. No one ever thought anyone could be this stupid before social media.

Not surprised what got past me? Are you really attempting to make a cynical comment that didn't land? You seem difficult to have a conversation with when there is nothing to be disagreeable about. I just said Kaepernick hasn't seen the NFL since his pig socks and his other disruptive shenanigans. He is the type of guy you don't want to put your reputation behind yet he swindled millions from Nike.

Tennessee fans seemed to turn on ESPN when its daytime programming--cheap to produce talk/shout shows--featured a lot of opinionated black
men. Thus we've had this dumb "ESPN is crap and failing thread" on various boards on this site for years. Sports fans should be thankful for ESPN. With ESPN+ I can watch streams of practically every Vol/SEC game in every sport. It's great. SEC schools have ESPN to thank for their big TV rights package for football. ESPN and the other networks have driven a lot of the conference realignment that has spun way out of control and gotten stupid--like most everything in college FB and BB these day. That has been unfortunate. I'll bet the great Bill Walton's health took a turn for the worse when he learned that his beloved Pac12 was dissolving and his beloved UCLA was joining the Big10--another crass move for the MONAE. ESPN and ABC are of course owned by Disney, and surely Disney's CEO is involved in a lot of big ESPN biz decisions.

Tennessee fans seemed to turn on ESPN when its daytime programming--cheap to produce talk/shout shows--featured a lot of opinionated black
men. Thus we've had this dumb "ESPN is crap and failing thread" on various boards on this site for years. Sports fans should be thankful for ESPN. With ESPN+ I can watch streams of practically every Vol/SEC game in every sport. It's great. SEC schools have ESPN to thank for their big TV rights package for football. ESPN and the other networks have driven a lot of the conference realignment that has spun way out of control and gotten stupid--like most everything in college FB and BB these day. That has been unfortunate. I'll bet the great Bill Walton's health took a turn for the worse when he learned that his beloved Pac12 was dissolving and his beloved UCLA was joining the Big10--another crass move for the MONAE. ESPN and ABC are of course owned by Disney, and surely Disney's CEO is involved in a lot of big ESPN biz decisions.
Your Bill Walton UCLA take is dumb. And ESPN doesnt do these things out of the goodness of their heart. It's how to make money. Capitalism. The thanks they receive is people buying their product

RE: conversation about WNBA profitability....

Apparently, their TV deal is folded into the NBA TV deal and the NBA gets to decide how much of the revenue should be recognized as WNBA revenue. So when they tell us the WNBA pulled in $200m this year, let's say they assigned $100m from the TV deal to arrive at that number...for all we know their TV deal should've been recognized at $250m. They can literally name their revenue number.

Turns out with this TV deal, the new landscape is the girls get their own arrangement. $200m/yr, which for reference, is what the NBA claimed was total revenue last year. For reference, the NHL gets $685m.

Is he carrying the USA flag or China’s? Maybe a Nike flag? I was hoping Kirby Connell was going to carry the flag or one of our Tennessee Olympians.

You guys act like he picked China over the US. He picked diplomacy. He's American, just like Trump, who is diplomatic with China, too. Even said incredibly complimentary things about their dictator. You got jokes about Trump carrying their flag? Of course not, because of partisanship.

You guys act like he picked China over the US. He picked diplomacy. He's American, just like Trump, who is diplomatic with China, too. Even said incredibly complimentary things about their dictator. You got jokes about Trump carrying their flag? Of course not, because of partisanship.
No, LeBron picked his god. Money.

VN Store

Back