The Woke Olympics

True, and there was a time when athletes on such stages, Olympic or Professional, were more professional about public appearance over personal injections. Goes back to rasing. Even now, Greg Luganis conducts himself in a manner you can only respect professionally.
My daughter last year posted something political on Facebook during the election. I made her remove it. I explained to her that in her profession she is gonna piss off half of her clients. The way the climate is now, I know she is grateful I suggested it at the time.

Sorry to hear it but look at what the news covers and our leaders talk about - the message is always about conflict and us/them; one side good, the other evil. It's hard to avoid it and it inevitably creeps into the psyche of some more than others.
The conflict is the primary reason I've scaled back my participation on the board. There is no value in it for me.

I just visited my parents and my Dad has completely lost it. Every conversation turns into politics. I couldn't say anything without my parents turning it into a gripe about the left, BLM, or critical race theory. Literally, the most innocuous statement, like "I'd like to visit Japan." turns into a negative political anecdote. Out of nowhere, my Dad asked me if I think I'd have an easier time finding a job if I were black (I'm employed, BTW, so the comment had nothing to do with anything other than what is constantly rattling around in his brain). My parents who decry cancel culture are canceling Subway, the MLB, their university's athletic department, and more. It's hard to keep track. Their lives are completely poisoned and it's all-consuming. The crazy part is they obsess so much about the topic of race and it has no impact on them whatsoever. Literally none. They live in a town that's like 95% white and race is not a problem for whites there. They are retired, so they can't get canceled. All this time and bad feelings for no reason at all.
Son????

The definition I've taught my children is anyone who dedicates themselves to the ideals found in the Preamble, Constitution, and all amendments through personal sacrifice for the benefit of their fellow citizen and the country. I have also taught them to measure their definitions and actions against nationalism and jingoism, which can masquerade as patriotism but are just another form of control.

Sounds reasonable and I pretty much agree with what you're teaching your kids. @USAFgolferVol has made many posts questioning others patriotism so that's why I asked him.

Reactions: Rickyvol77 and AshG
Sounds reasonable and I pretty much agree with what you're teaching your kids. @USAFgolferVol has made many posts questioning others patriotism so that's why I asked him.

I missed that part, sorry.

And for a little humor on the subject, my son will be attending a middle school named after a British general. Their mascot? The Patriots. /facepalm

Reactions: Wireless1 and hog88
The definition I've taught my children is anyone who dedicates themselves to the ideals found in the Preamble, Constitution, and all amendments through personal sacrifice for the benefit of their fellow citizen and the country. I have also taught them to measure their definitions and actions against nationalism and jingoism, which can masquerade as patriotism but are just another form of control.

I think it can be much smaller than that. If you are dedicated to your local community, then you are a patriot. The patriots who fought the Revolutionary War were choosing their local community over their national allegiance.

Because I don't view kneeling as a sign of disrespect.

China afforded Chinese athletes opportunities, too, so....

"I'm game for this question" and proceeds to avoid the question and asks his own.

Can you please point to the other nations that kneel during their anthem as a form of protest?

BTW, I believe I took this position off of Thomas Payne. But it's been a long time since I read him, so I might have that wrong.

Why, guy who still hasn't answered the question he said he was game for?

I felt like it was answered much like a "did you stop beating your wife" question.

I don't hate my country. But I do despise those who disrespect it in front of the world. It's a sad state when another nation shows more respect than our own countrymen and women.

I felt like it was answered much like a "did you stop beating your wife" question.

I don't hate my country. But I do despise those who disrespect it in front of the world. It's a sad state when another nation shows more respect than our own countrymen and women.
Loathing is an emotion, and as such it may be impossible to explain logically, but why do you despise those who disrespect in front of the world?

The fact that they can protest our problems is actually a beautiful thing. It means we have the basic right of freedom of expression in this country, and that people aren't complacent about our problems.

I don't feel disrespected when they kneel or generally act like an ass.

I’m smiling this morning.

The United States women's national team were knocked out of Olympic gold medal contention after losing 1-0 to Canada in the semifinals on Monday.

It's pathetic that you get enjoyment out of seeing a USA team lose all because the players' political opinions conflict with yours. It's not surprising, though, as you've made it very clear on multiple occasions that you view anyone with political opinions contrary to yours as "filth".

The media and politicians love people like you. They constantly seek to divide us and you fall right in line.

Reactions: K-town Vol Fan
Loathing is an emotion, and as such it may be impossible to explain logically, but why do you despise those who disrespect in front of the world?

There's a variety of reasons actually...

1. Because, again, this nation afforded them the opportunity to compete at THE highest level and to represent this nation with honor and dignity.

2. Most protesting are doing it for pure attention whore reasons and will change nothing save people getting aggravated over their actions.

3. Most, if not all have never lived in a foreign country for an extended period of time and don't realize, despite having a few problems, we're still the greatest country on this earth and extremely tolerant of that freedom of speech thing.

3A. They certainly wouldn't be allowed to do such a thing if they were from another nation.

4. Last, but certainly not least, as stated, I expect our athletes to show the world some dignity. If they want change, it's best not to alienate people by doing what they do.

Hope that answers your question.

I think it's pretty cringey to be at an Olympics with people from African nations, war torn parts of the middle east, even the refugee delegation that basically has no home, and complain about how bad things are in your country. Maybe we'll see a rash of minority American athletes seek asylum in Japan to escape our state sponsored genocide but I somehow doubt it.

I think it can be much smaller than that. If you are dedicated to your local community, then you are a patriot. The patriots who fought the Revolutionary War were choosing their local community over their national allegiance.

I thinking basing this on your local community is dangerous.

If someone lives on a golf course, surrounded by million dollar homes, and has kids who ride a golf kart to the pool that thinks everyone in the world makes a few 100k a year then their local community is completely different than someone who lives in the ghetto surviving off welfare who has children avoiding crack dealers on their way home from school every day.

I think a true Patriot realizes our country is more than the few sq blocks we dwell in and we are only as strong as our weakest part.

I could have read your post wrong though.

It's pathetic that you get enjoyment out of seeing a USA team lose all because the players' political opinions conflict with yours. It's not surprising, though, as you've made it very clear on multiple occasions that you view anyone with political opinions contrary to yours as "filth".

The media and politicians love people like you. They constantly seek to divide us and you fall right in line.

Didn't the women's soccer team create the divide on this specific topic?

It is kinda weird that the most talented team on the field got wiped out and their heads seemed to be not in the game.

Reactions: Wireless1

VN Store

Back