The Woke Olympics

Gold medals are what count, and we're trailing by 7.
Camacho who is born and raised in the US and ran for Kentucky won gold in 100m hurtles but she’s running for Puerto Rico because her mom was born there. She said she’s doing it to “inspire kids and stuff”. Lol

I remember a time when the US was fielding pure amateurs in the Olympics. It made things like the 1980 Hockey gold all the more special. I can’t say for sure, but I think it was around the time of the first “dream team” that US Olympic team was more professional than amateur. It makes for great headlines and it’s certainly led to US dominance for a couple of decades, but it’s also diluted the whole purpose of the games.

Reactions: walkenvol
There's a difference, in my mind at least, of holding a minimum of respect especially when representing your nation on the world stage. I'm not asking them to go out and run through the streets carrying an American flag and singing the Star Spangled Banner while hopped up on Monster and Pop Rocks.

But at least stand for your anthem. The thing is, or the more important question is what are they kneeling for? Oh, sure, most of us are aware, but is the rest of the world going to know? Or even care? All they see is a team, or the majority of, disrespecting the very nation that sent them to the games.

I don't fault anyone, especially people who served in the military, from holding those expectations of our athletes at world wide public events like Olympics.

I wonder how many non American observers know we are to stand for our anthem and flag? It is possible the world audience thinks kneeling is actually a higher level of respect and admiration. We know it is protest; but someone else may not.

and to go a step further, i wonder how many viewers who are familiar with our customs see our athletes protesting and have an increased respect for America because it would be a death sentence in their own country?

and to go a step further, i wonder how many viewers who are familiar with our customs see our athletes protesting and have an increased respect for America because it would be a death sentence in their own country?

That's a possibility, many probably think "what the hell are they whining about"?

Reactions: tbwhhs and McDad
I don't fault anyone, especially people who served in the military, from holding those expectations of our athletes at world wide public events like Olympics.

I wonder how many non American observers know we are to stand for our anthem and flag? It is possible the world audience thinks kneeling is actually a higher level of respect and admiration. We know it is protest; but someone else may not.

We've done an Olympics or two...

I know the point you are trying to make but the bolded seems to be a variation of the theme - you consider someone with a different viewpoint than you to be pathetic.

It's not just you - it's all through this thread; if one holds a different view on this issue they are not just wrong, they are a bad person.

The "they" in they constantly seek to divide us is us.

You're right that my wording was not the best. My point stands that it's just a little low to root against one's own country because of the athletes' political stance, but pathetic was probably the wrong word.

As a disclaimer, I don't agree with kneeling for the anthem at all. I do believe in one having the right to do so, though.

Seems like he's exhibiting the same behavior he's condemning.

All I can say is that wasn't the intention of my post. The intent was to point out how foolish and bitter he looks for cheering against his own country and how he's fallen into the trap of considering Americans with political opinions contrary to his as the enemy. I worded it poorly, though, so I can see how it could be easily misinterpreted.

We have. But we really don't know what the world expects our athletes to do to show respect to our flag and anthem.

Yet, this does tend to poke holes in that argument...

3000.jpeg

When you have all doing it, your question is valid. When there is a mix and match, it does look a bit curious...

Simone Biles BACKS silver medalist shot putter who crossed arms above head: IOC launches investigation into Raven Saunders for most high-profile protest yet in Tokyo

Simone Biles has become embroiled in the controversy over an American athlete who launched a protest from the Olympic medal winner’s podium.

Shot putter Raven Saunders raised her arms above her head on the podium and formed an 'X' with her wrists on Sunday night as she claimed her silver medal.

But Simone, 24, has risked becoming under more scrutiny by supporting the protest.

The troubled six times Olympic medalist, who is experiencing mental health issues in Tokyo has decided to back Saunders protest today.

46154029-9851045-Raven_Saunders_of_the_United_States_poses_with_her_silver_medal_-m-3_1627879769727.jpg

46153471-9851045-The_troubled_athlete_donned_a_black_safety_face_mask_as_she_took-a-4_1627879785905.jpg

She posted a picture of the athlete with her arms crossed on the podium to her 6.5 million Instagram followers

Under the photo were the words; ‘Gave everything for this.

‘If you are black, LGBTQIA+ Or mentally struggling, this one is for you.

‘Shout out to all my fighters’

Simone Biles has become embroiled in the controversy over Raven Saunders | Daily Mail Online

You're right that my wording was not the best. My point stands that it's just a little low to root against one's own country because of the athletes' political stance, but pathetic was probably the wrong word.

As a disclaimer, I don't agree with kneeling for the anthem at all. I do believe in one having the right to do so, though.

If a person has a strong dislike for an athlete, regardless of what country they are representing I think it's ok to root against them.

Let's face facts here, many of the US Olympic athletes are representing themselves and not the US.

If a person has a strong dislike for an athlete, regardless of what country they are representing I think it's ok to root against them.

Let's face facts here, many of the US Olympic athletes are representing themselves and not the US.[/QUOTE]

You aren't wrong here.

Yet, this does tend to poke holes in that argument...

View attachment 384372

When you have all doing it, your question is valid. When there is a mix and match, it does look a bit curious...
I don't have an argument to make. I have a curiosity about public perception outside of America. I am personally indifferent to the athlete's kneeling; but it does look curious.

Simone Biles BACKS silver medalist shot putter who crossed arms above head: IOC launches investigation into Raven Saunders for most high-profile protest yet in Tokyo

Simone Biles has become embroiled in the controversy over an American athlete who launched a protest from the Olympic medal winner’s podium.

Shot putter Raven Saunders raised her arms above her head on the podium and formed an 'X' with her wrists on Sunday night as she claimed her silver medal.

But Simone, 24, has risked becoming under more scrutiny by supporting the protest.

The troubled six times Olympic medalist, who is experiencing mental health issues in Tokyo has decided to back Saunders protest today.

46154029-9851045-Raven_Saunders_of_the_United_States_poses_with_her_silver_medal_-m-3_1627879769727.jpg

46153471-9851045-The_troubled_athlete_donned_a_black_safety_face_mask_as_she_took-a-4_1627879785905.jpg

She posted a picture of the athlete with her arms crossed on the podium to her 6.5 million Instagram followers

Under the photo were the words; ‘Gave everything for this.

‘If you are black, LGBTQIA+ Or mentally struggling, this one is for you.

‘Shout out to all my fighters’

Simone Biles has become embroiled in the controversy over Raven Saunders | Daily Mail Online
I'll give a pass to that She-beast since its obviously confused and made an X for a "crossroads" without realizing that most people continue on past that point of intersection..

Reactions: StarRaider
That's not the conservativism I was raised on, and it saddens me that it's establishing a foothold.
No more concerning than the young liberals that stated they would not support Americans and instead just root for individuals. It's all tribalism and our societies need to lump everything into the category of good or bad, virtuous or evil.

Reactions: FLVOL_79 and McDad

VN Store

Back