This isn’t on Heupel

He didn’t call a perfect game is an understatement. Let’s blame refs like we do every year though.
I am not going to say it's the refs fault. But how can Bama have one penality the whole game and it's for 5 yards. You can not tell me the Bama O-line didn't hold a few times.

Reactions: Manning4ever
There wasn’t any one thing that cost the game, but you gotta know you’re not likely to get a fair game called at Bama. So it puts it on the coaches even more to NOT make mistakes and keep the players from doing the same. The margin for error is too slim. That’s where Huepel hurt his team. He picked bad times to gamble with questionable logic.
It just is COMPLETELY mind blowing when you realize that piss poor bama team didn’t have a single penalty in the first half lmao!! And then the one flag that gets thrown is an illegal procedure that actually benefited them. I had a feeling that’s the way this game was gonna go when I think Bamas WR Barrett (the one that hit the girl in Knoxville last year that Saban never had a comment on) donkey kicked our guy in the end zone.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
He didn’t call a perfect game is an understatement. Let’s blame refs like we do every year though.
That was coach Heupel’s worst half of coaching in his 3 years here. That does not mean I dislike him, it’s just the way I feel about todays play calling. Calling plays not to lose in the second half and making 2, fourth & 1 fourth downs, fourth and 6 by snapping it 5 yards deep is not good.

Reactions: volfeeva
Not talking about today's game. Talking bout his career overall in college. Just a pity he didn't develop into what he could have been. Seems like he's a good dude. I'm sure 100% he's done everything he could do to be his best in college for MI and TN both. I am sure he gave everything he had trying get better.

I feel bad also for Joe. Imagine being in his situation and how he feels about his prospects and about what could have been.... Just my $.02.

There wasn’t any one thing that cost the game, but you gotta know you’re not likely to get a fair game called at Bama. So it puts it on the coaches even more to NOT make mistakes and keep the players from doing the same. The margin for error is too slim. That’s where Huepel hurt his team. He picked bad times to gamble with questionable logic.
Maybe that's why he felt like he had to go for it ...To have the ball in his hands and not the refs and bama...But stupid play to do it with ...Never understood hiking in shotgun to gain a ****in yard ...But yet everyone does this every week . I wonder what coach will come along and have the balls to run the I-formation and manage the clock and have a defense..The way it is set up now that will return soon ..

Lotta idiots up in here.

Remember how many of the past 15 TSIO's havent been competitive? Gotta play a perfect 60 to beat Nick & the Zebras on the road.

I saw more positives & things to build on than any other game this season. A loss hurts, but c'mon guys - we have a coach, we have a QB of the future, we have a 9-10 win season still right there.

Lets not forget, this was a CHEATING 3-win program when CJH took over...
Yes

Did you watch the game? If you did and you think the officiating was above board, you have a special talent for denial of reality.
I’m saying it didn’t lose the game. Heupel, mismanaged it, Milton fumbled and overthrew a wide open Warren in end zone. Dumb 4th and short calls, etc etc etc. You all are so predictable with your countless officiating posts weekly. If whining about officiating helps you cope, then have it it.

Reactions: volncleveland
Heupel gets a piece of this. The 4th down calls aren't on the refs. The playing not to lose isn't on the refs.

The refs get a piece of this too. Awful. The calls didn't appear to go both ways. I'll still have to rewatch the see HOW bad it was, but it was not a well officiated game.
if not for refs we wouldnt be in 4th down

Let me preface this by saying he didn’t call a perfect game by any stretch, but the nonstop snowball of flags or lack thereof are impossible to gameplan against.

We ran well, threw well, hell we even defended well. Nothing you can do to beat the stripes on top of it all. Some calls could’ve been different, but hindsight is 20/20 when in a fair game this is completely different.

We were screwed the second we laced them up. Team did enough to win, Bama just could play beyond the rules and refs created new rules on the fly to screw us.

Heupel made two glaring gaffes on the fourth down tries when Tennessee should have punted because the defense was playing well at the time and Ross had a great day punting the ball.

Heupel made two glaring gaffes on the fourth down tries when Tennessee should have punted because the defense was playing well at the time and Ross had a great day punting the ball.
Bama had just driven down the field for BOTH and scored. Defense was getting hosed and he needed to keep offense on the field to stop the bleeding.

We did last year. What changed?

We went from having Bru McCoy as the third option to not even having McCoy. Squirrel and Ramel are good wide-receivers. Neither strike me as elite number ones. Milton isn't as good as Hooker, simply put. He's an elite athlete, but his grasp of the offense still seems very limited. That it took until mid-season to deploy him as a runner still seems odd (his legs likely pick up needed first downs against the Gators).

Let's be fair, we also lost two road games last year, one to a pretty lousy South Carolina team (at least at the time) and one to an elite UGA team. Sure, Bama doesn't appear to be elite this year, but in a year full of pretty bad college football, I wouldn't put the nail in their championship hopes quite yet. Beat Kenucky, Missouri, UConn, and Vandy, and this season isn't really that different than last year. You just had to play Bama on the road with a quarterback who just couldn't make the same kind of plays Hooker made last year. Better running back room... Doesn't matter that much when you get behind on the road by multiple scores. I wouldn't say we have no chance against UGA at home, but they're still the most talent-rich team in the SEC... Granted they've played like garbage on the road this year.

Let me preface this by saying he didn’t call a perfect game by any stretch, but the nonstop snowball of flags or lack thereof are impossible to gameplan against.

We ran well, threw well, hell we even defended well. Nothing you can do to beat the stripes on top of it all. Some calls could’ve been different, but hindsight is 20/20 when in a fair game this is completely different.

We were screwed the second we laced them up. Team did enough to win, Bama just could play beyond the rules and refs created new rules on the fly to screw us.
Refs called a good game, we're just limited with a 24yo QB who's football IQ is less than mine

Reactions: loservol
if not for refs we wouldnt be in 4th down
Yes, but when you ARE in 4th down, no matter why, you need to make smart decisions.

That 4th and 1 at the 50 is a punting situation. You'll hear it over and over. Neuheisel on CBS said "I'm an old coach and I don't like to second guess and criticize coaches but that 4th and 1......"

It was a bad coaching moment. The refs might have put Josh Heupel in that moment, but he blew the play call himself.

The hell isn’t! He and the staff royally screwed this one any way you slice it, Ref’s didn’t do us any favors outside of the punch to the helmet play, but neither did the coaches with their atrocious play calls.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back