'19 TN OL Melvin McBride (Tennessee signee)

The Memphis OG’s commitment was an interesting decision considering the Whitehaven product was a strong Arkansas lean. When he tweeted about committing next week, his intention was to pick the Razorbacks. However, David Johnson, Will Friend and Pruitt pressed hard on McBride and made sure he knew he was wanted on Rocky Top. The OL’s connections to other West Tennessee players (namely Drew Richmond and Jerome Carvin) helped sealed with deal, with the Vols offering a comfortability unmatched at Arkansas.

McBride is a project, playing just a single year of varsity football. But he’s extremely light on his feet for 310 pounds. His coach raves about his athleticism and power. Stick him in a college weight room, give him a RS season and he could be someone who really helps the Vols as a road-grader down the road.

Also, McBride’s commitment gives Tennessee another inroad into Memphis and Whitehaven. The former state champs have lots of Power 5 talent, including 2020 linebacker Bryson Eason. Having an early connection with Rodney Saulsberry’s squad is a nice bonus to adding a 6-4, 310-pound lineman.
—VQ

Spoke with a friend of mine about this guy. Big kid, super athletic, good feet, strong as an ox, but very under developed as is the case with most kids out of Whitehaven. Also heard he has a shoulder injury that could be more serious than people are letting on.

yeah, there may be some dots you can connect, but i don't think that's a straight line correlation. he probably will be a RS.

and that's ok...................

Reactions: Sleegro
Not when you factor in numbers and everyone we lead on. No mention of an OV or coming to a game. Just my opinion.
i'll give you that. the lack of an OV is a dot that makes sense.

i would just say that he if blue shirt was the goal, i'm not sure he would want that, when he had a legit offer from ARK.

unless he just REALLY wanted to come to TN, which is fine too.

i thin it's probably still more likley that Cox flips and you keep an eye on maybe one other DL commit and Anthony Harris, if we're gonna make room for some other folks, which i think probabl happens.

Not when you factor in numbers and everyone we lead on. No mention of an OV or coming to a game. Just my opinion.
Blue shirts may or may not even be allowed anymore for one. They are definitely stricter. This guy has other SEC offers and would be a little misguided if he passed those up for a maybe we accept you later in the year. That's a gamble I wouldn't advise my kids to take unless it was the only option. Even if it was to my favorite school. I would be completely shocked if any of our current commits or targets would accept a blue shirt, if that is even an option in the NCAA anymore.

Reactions: LA Vol and butchna
The new RS rule could make that option more attractive for him-- play in four games and benefit from a year of conditioning. I'm guessing he'll sign early? In-state recruits generally do.

Last edited:
Reactions: T Dog and Sleegro
i'll give you that. the lack of an OV is a dot that makes sense.

i would just say that he if blue shirt was the goal, i'm not sure he would want that, when he had a legit offer from ARK.

unless he just REALLY wanted to come to TN, which is fine too.

i thin it's probably still more likley that Cox flips and you keep an eye on maybe one other DL commit and Anthony Harris, if we're gonna make room for some other folks, which i think probabl happens.
Lakia Henry might be one to watch too. Report on him from game was nothing.

Lakia Henry might be one to watch too. Report on him from game was nothing.
not sure if that's a typo or not. i thought the reports on him were really good, and that the staff was high on him? well, i've been saying this recruiting thing is fluid all week, that would just be proof of it.

not sure if that's a typo or not. i thought the reports on him were really good, and that the staff was high on him? well, i've been saying this recruiting thing is fluid all week, that would just be proof of it.
He's talking about a tweet, from a Kansas St writer saying Henry didn't look impressive in his first game. Now, all because this guy tweeted that, Lakia Henry "may get the gitshirt". Kind of ridiculous, imo.

He's talking about a tweet, from a Kansas St writer saying Henry didn't look impressive in his first game. Now, all because this guy tweeted that, Lakia Henry "may get the gitshirt". Kind of ridiculous, imo.

I call that Nextlevel Investigative Journalism on his part. Or at least what passes for journalism these days.

Reactions: SugarCC
Undisclosed medical issue that is keeping him from playing his senior year and unless he gets amazing news will keep him from playing in college. It's why he moved his commitment up to commit before all his offers were pulled and why almost no media member knew where he would end up because no one knew which school was willing to take the chance.

Got that from Reddit

Reactions: Big Gucci Sosa
Undisclosed medical issue that is keeping him from playing his senior year and unless he gets amazing news will keep him from playing in college. It's why he moved his commitment up to commit before all his offers were pulled and why almost no media member knew where he would end up because no one knew which school was willing to take the chance.

Got that from Reddit
Read one post up. Much more reliable than reddit(old women gossip cafe).

Reactions: Billy Antrim

Got that from Reddit
Committing before offer is pulled won't do much good. They can still pull the offer until he signs in December or February so that story lacks some basis.

Got that from Reddit
Go there for flying saucer reviews.

Reactions: SugarCC

Got that from Reddit
Do you honestly think the staff would press if that were the case? Maybe the previous staff were a bunch of clown shoes, but these guys are no dummies.

His team Whitehaven faces Ridgeway tonight at 8:30 on channel 30metv. I live just out of Memphis so don't know if it will air across state.

His team Whitehaven faces Ridgeway tonight at 8:30 on channel 30metv. I live just out of Memphis so don't know if it will air across state.
T, get your tail down there and get the score on what's going on with this condition he has, then report back to us.

T, get your tail down there and get the score on what's going on with this condition he has, then report back to us.
I am a country boy. Hate going to city. Especially memphis. I don't have a conceal and carry permit, and you need to be carrying there. I used to live there so I know. But what I read was it was a shoulder.

I am a country boy. Hate going to city. Especially memphis. I don't have a conceal and carry permit, and you need to be carrying there. I used to live there so I know. But what I read was it was a shoulder.
Stop it.

VN Store

Back