'18 TN RB Jeremy Banks (UT signee)

Living in Memphis I hear this debate all the time. Banks doesn’t have a logical reason to pick Memphis over Tenn. If he wants better exposure and a chance to play early he goes to Tenn. Memphis will forever be a stepping stone job for coaches now. I hope Tenn does more recruiting in Memphis there’s a ton of talent here.

I would agree that the SEC is the big stage, and has the potential to provide better exposure. No guarantees he will play early at UT. Historically, there’ve been several Memphis athletes who went to Tennessee who just didn’t pan out. There’ve also been some really good ones, but there’ve also been a lot of washouts....

With a new staff in town, Tennessee finally extended an offer just over a week ago, and the Memphis tailback said smiling Sunday, "“It was just a matter of time.

"It was like: 'Boom. Here it is!”

After getting the much-anticipated offer from the in-state school, Banks welcomed new head coach Jeremy Pruitt, offensive coordinator Tyson Helton and running backs coach Robert Gillespie for an in-home visit earlier this week, locking in this weekend’s final official visit before the early signing period.

It was a smashing success.

Grinning ear-to-ear after spending his first ever time on Rocky Top, the Cordova tailback said he tried to “sink in everything I could” and he left Knoxville with a particularly enlightening feeling: “Some schools want me, but Tennessee needs me.”

The 4-star running back has already taken official visits to Nebraska, UCLA, Iowa State and Wyoming, but he admits he’s long had dreams of playing in the SEC and his time at Tennessee this weekend was “outstanding.”

Banks, who rushed for more than 1,900 yards and 32 touchdowns in 2017, said he knew coming in that “it was going to be a great visit.”

“It was awesome,” he added. “I felt at home here.”

Tennessee’s new staff has identified the 6-foot-2, 210-pound tailback as a key cog for its future offense — one Banks believes he’d fit in nicely if he ends up on Rocky Top.

“I talked to Helton and he was telling me how it would be. I think it would fit right up my alley: Pro-style,” Banks said.

Banks will announce a decision on Wednesday. He will sign early but won’t enroll at his school of choice until the summer.

Simonton

Reactions: 16 people
I’m going to go out on a limb here and call it now. Banks is committed. I know no one else thinks it’s true but I want to be like BruinVol and call my own shots then take credit for things that aren’t obvious at all.

Note: please verify font colors prior to responding

Reactions: 4 people
This is the kind of RB that we have been missing for years. Just glad to see those slow handoffs and the silly offense gone.

Reactions: 1 person
It'll be nice to have Banks, but I don't think the running back position has been missing much lately.

The RB position is the only good thing we have had. Im just saying as far as a big physical back. I loved the RBs we have had. Its just been so long since we have seen this type of back on our sideline lol

The RB position is the only good thing we have had. Im just saying as far as a big physical back. I loved the RBs we have had. Its just been so long since we have seen this type of back on our sideline lol

Jalen Hurd was 6'4 240
And he ran like it.

Some running backs make great LBs. Get all we can get.

this. i think this staff is going to recruit "type" more than position, in some cases....Fulmer and his staff were known for this....converting DL/OL, RB/LB, Safety/LB, and vice versa. i don't know that we did enough of that under CBJ.....

VN Store

Back