Trump's false claims about disaster response are beyond the pale

What we are finding strange is certain areas getting the high winds. My relatives in Cocke Co. got wind but not like this guy is talking about in Asheville, just normal winds in a storm. This one is very hard to figure out. Katrina was ton easier to see as the winds were so bad and pushed all that water about 20+ feet up/forward. Looks like Hartford/Del Rio area got hit hard but that is very rural Tennessee... not a ton out there till you get to Asheville.

Reactions: Orange_Vol1321
I'm sure that $750 per person is really doing a lot of good. Based on those videos from actual people on the ground the government has been more of a hinderance than a help.
Problem is that we really do not know. I do know that information by any local, state, or federal agency does not get out in the location like it does on the internet. Second, any agency in the local area first focus is recovery opns and saving lives. A lot of variables in play here and 3 levels of govt on their own agendas with their own priorities.
The problem above combined with misinformation is a nightmare. The people in this area are the victims which is no place for political photo shoots.
Those that do have internet are probably more confused than those without it.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
Problem is that we really do not know. I do know that information by any local, state, or federal agency does not get out in the location like it does on the internet. Second, any agency in the local area first focus is recovery opns and saving lives. A lot of variables in play here and 3 levels of govt on their own agendas with their own priorities.
The problem above combined with misinformation is a nightmare. The people in this area are the victims which is no place for political photo shoots.
Those that do have internet are probably more confused than those without it.
What we do know is government is terribly inefficient.

What we do know is we have people on the ground that are trying to rescue people and are being threatened with arrest for doing so. What do know is an eye witness stating all the helicopters that are flying are private individuals, not military units.
What we do know is we have an eye witness saying two helicopters were sitting at the airport waiting on government permission to go in.

You can have all.the faith in the government you want. As for me I wouldn't count on the government to do anything unless I was an illegal immigrant or Ukranian.

Something tells me you might have a different view point if you had a love one stranded with no food, no water, no electricity, and no medicine.

Who is paying the private sector? The government? The government contracts the private sector to do what they are doing as we speak. So, what is your point? Who would be the Command and Control over the 5 affected states out of the private sector that has the equipment, manpower, and resources to complete the mission of recovery.

You suggestion sounds get on a chat room forum but in reality it would be a total disaster.
I said it before, but look at how the response to the 1906 SF earthquake and the Johnstown Flood.

I understand if you don't get it, but the Command and Control phrase when dealing with the civilian population gives me the heebie-jeebies.

So...do you MAGA enthusiasts want small govt. or not??
One minute you're complaining about big government and how everything should be left to the states.
The next you're complaining about the federal government not helping out enough.
Can't have it both ways, kool-aid drinkers.

Reactions: Sin City Vol
One minute you're complaining about big government and how everything should be left to the states.
The next you're complaining about the federal government not helping out enough.

Fed govt should not be in disaster relief.

But since they are, they need to disburse funds for intended purposes and not based on politics...

What a stupid take. I can absolutely believe the feds should be out of it and allow the state to do it. And also believe, that if you ARE going to tax me for it, then don't be incompetent ass hats.

Would you rather money go to Ukraine, Jordan, Egypt, Ethiopia (We've been sending money there since I was a kid and they're still starving and dying of thirst).

Or would you rather your money go to help US citizens?

We pay taxes, send in the military, send in the aid that the tax dollars are taken for..... our taxes pay for those services so they should be delivered when needed.

I'll make a better deal, don't TAX me and i won't ask you for a damn thing.

brilliant logic right there

I bet if you offer North Carolinians all their tax money that has gone to federal emergency line items, they would take that in a heartbeat and not expect anything else.

Same with highway tax funds. Give us our highway tax payments back and we will rebuild our own roads.

If you “non-MAGA enthusiasts”, (whatever that would mean), don’t care to give us our money back to rebuild from this disaster, at least put your government’s resources into helping us now that we need it.

Thanks for stopping by lost geek.

The problem is your big government can't get out of the private citizens way. Do you know how many lives were saved by these civilians in their helicopters daily while Fema took 5 days to get there?

I said it before, but look at how the response to the 1906 SF earthquake and the Johnstown Flood.

I understand if you don't get it, but the Command and Control phrase when dealing with the civilian population gives me the heebie-jeebies.
It should but you are not there in the middle of it...Chaos some areas get over supplied, some dont get what they need.
Using a 1906 example as compared to a 2024 different event all to make a point will give anybody the hebee geebees. no communication systems and horses. no trained search & rescue teams. list goes on and on but if you want to use that example you are welcome to do so...not too realistic

Surely I'm missing something... Please help me understand.

I keep seeing that FEMA is seizing donations and taking them to their warehouses, stopping people who are and have been helping people since the beginning and threatening them with arrest if they don't comply and leave the area. I've even heard they were seizing money being collected.

Why is an agency strapped for funds doing this?

I think what most people are critical of is their poor response and instead of asking the states and people what they need they are strong arming people who are and have been helping since the beginning. Forcing people out who know what's needed most and where because government knows best.

Last edited:
Reactions: MemphisVol77
Surely I'm missing something... Please help me understand.

I keep seeing that FEMA is seizing donations and taking them to their warehouses, stopping people who are and have been helping people since the beginning and threatening them with arrest if they don't comply and leave the area. I've even heard they were seizing money being collected.

Why is an agency strapped for funds doing this?
it sounds like they are saying they know better and will do better with the assets rather than letting local sources get involved.

IF FEMA was doing a bang up job, and was actually getting to most of the impacted areas, they would have a point. but that's not the case. Seems to me like any donations going to areas FEMA hasn't reached is better than the alterternative, even if its not actually useful.

at the very least it gets the victims in contact with someone.

I question the authenticity of some of these. But in fairness Lindsey Graham is a feckless sycophant and Miller is a bit of a Nazi. So those I'd surely take ownership of.

I guess the nickname is kind of dumb because the ones using it negatively are making fun of someone for working to provide menstrual products to children in schools who need them.

Mouth breathers find humor in it because alliteration and "huhuhuh tampax lol"

Maui residents would also like to chime in on the billions and billions sent to Ukraine and to states to pay for illegals.
If the Republican were smart they would introduce a bill in the house tomorrow calling for a freeze to all aide to Ukraine or illegal immigrants until the Helene recovery is completed. It wouldn’t pass of course and would be vetoed even if it did but it would be hilarious watching the democrats (and quite a few “Republicans”) having to vote against it

it sounds like they are saying they know better and will do better with the assets rather than letting local sources get involved.

IF FEMA was doing a bang up job, and was actually getting to most of the impacted areas, they would have a point. but that's not the case. Seems to me like any donations going to areas FEMA hasn't reached is better than the alterternative, even if its not actually useful.

at the very least it gets the victims in contact with someone.
I would like to see an audit of how much fema funding goes to administrators and employees vs actual dollars to victims

both things can be true. The federal government is involved and the complaints are (1) they're inept as hell and it is being pointed out and (2) they shouldn't be involved because they are proving how inept they are!

VN Store

Back