Trump's false claims about disaster response are beyond the pale

It should but you are not there in the middle of it...Chaos some areas get over supplied, some dont get what they need.
Using a 1906 example as compared to a 2024 different event all to make a point will give anybody the hebee geebees. no communication systems and horses. no trained search & rescue teams. list goes on and on but if you want to use that example you are welcome to do so...not too realistic
Interesting. Private efforts got the job done with:

Telegraph systems.
Horses
Steam locomotives and steam engines.
No trained search & rescue teams.
The list goes on and on.

And no, I'm not in the middle of this one. Was right in the middle of Hurricane Kate (my family lost 1600 acres of cotton, countless thousands more that wasn't ginned or warehoused), was in Cordele for Tropical Storm Alberto which dumped 23 inches of rain in 24 hours on Americus, Georgia. Until most routes had opened back up, I had my staff keeping track of the few open routes in south Georgia and kept the shippers and trucking firms informed so they could continue to move cotton from southwest Georgia to the spinning mills. I did load up and go to Waverly. I'm not able to go to the affected areas for this one, but am donating money.

Living roughly sixty miles from Apalachee Bay, hurricanes were not unknown to us and I remember one (cannot recall the name) in the late 60s where the eye passed over Thomas County.

In my opinion, the Federal Government is better than teats on a boar hog, but the hog may be more intelligent. He at least knows what he's doing.

Interesting. Private efforts got the job done with:

Telegraph systems.
Horses
Steam locomotives and steam engines.
No trained search & rescue teams.
The list goes on and on.

And no, I'm not in the middle of this one. Was right in the middle of Hurricane Kate (my family lost 1600 acres of cotton, countless thousands more that wasn't ginned or warehoused), was in Cordele for Tropical Storm Alberto which dumped 23 inches of rain in 24 hours on Americus, Georgia. Until most routes had opened back up, I had my staff keeping track of the few open routes in south Georgia and kept the shippers and trucking firms informed so they could continue to move cotton from southwest Georgia to the spinning mills. I did load up and go to Waverly. I'm not able to go to the affected areas for this one, but am donating money.

Living roughly sixty miles from Apalachee Bay, hurricanes were not unknown to us and I remember one (cannot recall the name) in the late 60s where the eye passed over Thomas County.

In my opinion, the Federal Government is better than teats on a boar hog, but the hog may be more intelligent. He at least knows what he's doing.
Great story grandpa. I don't disagree but that was 118 years ago (San Francisco)
Kate (1985) FEMA involved. Hugo (1989) World Series Earthquake (1989) CEMA and FEMA were in the middle of an Earthquake Training Exercise. Andrew, Katrina.
FEMA formed in 1979.
Used to be a political organization, not well trained now they can do the basics, but answers to Congress and the President. Serves a purpose but has to have support which is outside their relm to provide all that is needed. Must depend on Manpower and Equipment and civilivan contracts in an attempt to meet needs.

Great story grandpa. I don't disagree but that was 118 years ago (San Francisco)
Kate (1985) FEMA involved. Hugo (1989) World Series Earthquake (1989) CEMA and FEMA were in the middle of an Earthquake Training Exercise. Andrew, Katrina.
FEMA formed in 1979.
Used to be a political organization, not well trained now they can do the basics, but answers to Congress and the President. Serves a purpose but has to have support which is outside their relm to provide all that is needed. Must depend on Manpower and Equipment and civilivan contracts in an attempt to meet needs.
Don't know if you meant anything by that, but yes, I do have nine grandchildren.

We'll just agree to disagree. Have seen the FEMA employees at work. Sure some are good folks wanting to do good things. But the few I've had any dealings with were nothing more that pure lazy slobs enjoying life from the government trough. And as was referenced in another post, there is plenty of corruption. It is easier to root out at local levels than it is the federal.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
FEMA formed in 1979.
And by the way, we never noticed FEMA during Kate or Alberto. Maybe you were at the others and first hand experience.

And by the way, we never noticed FEMA during Kate or Alberto. Maybe you were at the others and first hand experience.
I do have first hand experience with some of these as I was on the ground. I will tell you in the 80's and the 90's FEMA could not coordinate anything correctly. Had zero concept of Cmd and Control. Some would over contract or request for assistance in areas not needed or under request supplies in area where supplies were needed.

It was a very political untrained organization. From what I gathered it improved over the years with training and better organization. I was on the ground for Hugo, Andrew, SF Earthquake and a few others as well. As an Evaluator and DCO for the Military Opns. All In between 2 deployments, total of 3.
Next time you drive through Memphis noticed the long stretches' of I40 and I240 - 22 - 24 inches of poured concrete. A reason for the thickness? Yes.

Ummm....the governor of NC said he spoke to Biden and Biden offered full support and to call him directly if he needed anything. But you probably won't see that clip where you get your news.
Getting offered and actually getting can be two different things. People in NC are not very much impressed by the federal response. Private helicopter pilots are doing a vast amount of the helping beyond the State Police and National Guard. Why in the heck has not one of the Air Mobile Outfits that has 100's of heavy duty helicopters and the personnel (medical and support) that can repel down into all 0f those remote areas and help them. Time is rapidly running out.

I do have first hand experience with some of these as I was on the ground. I will tell you in the 80's and the 90's FEMA could not coordinate anything correctly. Had zero concept of Cmd and Control. Some would over contract or request for assistance in areas not needed or under request supplies in area where supplies were needed.

It was a very political untrained organization. From what I gathered it improved over the years with training and better organization. I was on the ground for Hugo, Andrew, SF Earthquake and a few others as well. As an Evaluator and DCO for the Military Opns. All In between 2 deployments, total of 3.
Next time you drive through Memphis noticed the long stretches' of I40 and I240 - 22 - 24 inches of poured concrete. A reason for the thickness? Yes.
Did you move into that work from a military position or from a civilian vocation?

Reactions: GroverCleveland
As much as I hate Kamala/Biden.. I almost post this exact same thing on my Facebook (not this post/pic).. Then I remembered back to April 27th 2011 when my County & State was leveled by so many tornados. It was the scariest and most tragic event I'd witnessed in person. I think using this poor baby girl as a means to attack the other side isn't right. Someone's tragedy shouldn't be our propaganda. It doesn't honor or help the victims in any way. We shouldn't use this poor girls terror to push our desires. I'm not a softy at all; but seeing the hurt in the picture brought tears to my eyes. (Totally no hate towards you. Like I said, I considered the same exact thing).

Reactions: Sudden Impact
As much as I hate Kamala/Biden.. I almost post this exact same thing on my Facebook (not this post/pic).. Then I remembered back to April 27th 2011 when my County & State was leveled by so many tornados. It was the scariest and most tragic event I'd witnessed in person. I think using this poor baby girl as a means to attack the other side isn't right. Someone's tragedy shouldn't be our propaganda. It doesn't honor or help the victims in any way. We shouldn't use this poor girls terror to push our desires. I'm not a softy at all; but seeing the hurt in the picture brought tears to my eyes. (Totally no hate towards you. Like I said, I considered the same exact thing).
People need to wake up to reality. Whatever it takes.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
I never considered it before your post but it made sense. someone with experience moving people, equipment, supplies across vast distances in short amounts of time would be perfect for FEMA work.
FEMA has no equipment to go into a disaster area. Military can provide electricity, water, hot meals, recovery equipment, trained manpower with dogs for search and rescue, engineer support, law and order and the list goes on. All the manpower and equipment is billed and accounted. Most of these areas look like war zones roads are impassable but Hummers, cargo carriers are capable of going off road.

FEMA has no equipment to go into a disaster area. Military can provide electricity, water, hot meals, recovery equipment, trained manpower with dogs for search and rescue, engineer support, law and order and the list goes on. All the manpower and equipment is billed and accounted. Most of these areas look like war zones roads are impassable but Hummers, cargo carriers are capable of going off road.
Thats surprising.

Does FEMA hire local equipment? Get on loan from state authorities? or stay out of that aspect of emergency respone?

VN Store

Back