Trump's false claims about disaster response are beyond the pale

From the article:

In the case of Helene’s impact in the southern Appalachian region, there are basically two types of emergency declarations: those that offer public help from FEMA and those that offer private help from FEMA.

Carter County, Cocke County, Greene County, Hamblen County, Johnson County and Unicoi County in Tennessee are currently offered Category B public assistance from FEMA.

This means people in those counties are offered debris removal and emergency protective measures. The cost of FEMA’s assistance is shared between the federal and local governments, 75% federal and 25% non-federal.

North Carolina, which saw even more devastation than East Tennessee, is also receiving individual assistance from FEMA. That assistance comes from FEMA’s Individuals and Households Program.

Individual assistance is a rare thing. It provides people with 100% federally-funded housing assistance and covers 75% of other needs.

In North Carolina, 25 counties are eligible for individual assistance. No Tennessee counties qualify.

You make a good point. So LG says 'Gov. Kemp calls Trump is a liar,' which apparently did not happen but people routinely call Trump Hitler. Shouldn't they be classified as liars?

I am okay with phrases like "danger to the country" or "threat to democracy" as an argument can be made that those characterizations are objectively true. I personally believe they are true as to Trump. You are free to throw the same labels at Harris.

We can then compare and contrast.

He's obviously not Hitler. I'd not call it a "lie" because no one thinks he is or thinks that is a factual statement, whereas claiming falsely that Biden has not returned a call from the Governor of Georgia clearly is designed to convey a fact which is demonstrably untrue.

Disaster relief should be a state function, if anything....
Wrong....states do not have the ability to pay the bills nor do they have enough resources.
All States rely on Federal assistance and relief.
I guess so think we should do away with FEMA who coordinates supplies.
There are 3 levels of Federal Assistance offered for Relief of Natural Disasters.

Last edited:
Wrong....states do not have the ability to pay the bills nor do that have resources. All States rely on Federal assistance and relief.

Fed taxes should be cut to reflect states handling this and states should create their own revenue stream based on the risk profile and wishes of the electorate of each state. Someone in Utah shouldnt pay for a TN nader.....

Yep. Ask Abbott in Texas about the ice storms

Why should someone in TN (we were colder in Memphis and had more frozen precip than TX in 2021) pay for TX completely neglecting their utility infrastructure for decades?

Cut federal taxes and let each state figure out how and how much revenue to raise for it....

We dont need FEMA and SEMA and LEMA. Take out the useless bureaucracy

I am okay with phrases like "danger to the country" or "threat to democracy" as an argument can be made that those characterizations are objectively true. I personally believe they are true as to Trump. You are free to throw the same labels at Harris.

We can then compare and contrast.

He's obviously not Hitler. I'd not call it a "lie" because no one thinks he is or thinks that is a factual statement, whereas claiming falsely that Biden has not returned a call from the Governor of Georgia clearly is designed to convey a fact which is demonstrably untrue.

For the life of me I can’t figure out how Trump is any bigger of a “threat to democracy” or a “danger to the country” than Harris.

I think calling a politicial disagreement over policy “beyond the pale” is in itself “beyond the pale”.

This sort of thing happens in every single election (at least since Adams vs Jefferson in 1800) 😂

If you find this to be “beyond the pale” maybe politics is not for you 😉

For the life of me I can’t figure out how Trump is any bigger of a “threat to democracy” or a “danger to the country” than Harris.
Well you are dealing with people who have no knowledge of, defend the act of, or dont understand why its problematic and a clear threat to “our democracy” that a a US POTUS whacked a US citizen. All because it was “too hard” to capture him.

I added to my post as well go back and read. It's been part of the Budget and force for relief long before you were probably born. Without Federal Assistance, a State will go bankrupt.

Goodness you are a smart fella. How about thinking outside of the box for a second and not accept the status quo. Open your mind and look for a better way.

VN Store

Back