Trump's false claims about disaster response are beyond the pale

Since I don't live in either place I really couldn't care less. If you really need the tit for tat, go for it. My mom lived in Memphis until she passed away, and went for days sometimes weeks without power after a summer thunderstorm. I don't know how anyone that lives there can stand it. If I did, it would be my mission to get that monopoly broken up. All I know is that I will never step foot in Memphis again, God willing.

Biggest issue was former mayor (Herenton) used it as a patronage job bank for his incompetent supporters....

They have neglected upkeep for sure but if neglecting upkeep is the standard, there are a lot of utility leaders that will hit the slammer...

There was tens of billions spent that had little to nothing to do with recovery. There was tens of billions that was excessive waste....

What about the prior 35 years where the hurricane impact was relatively minimal in Louisiana....

It's just like self insuring. You build it up over years and when you have to use it, you use it.
Just Nashville Federal Dollars

Nashville Tornado 2020 - 1.5 Billion
Nashville 2010 Flood - 2 Billion

This kind of money will bankrupt the city.

Waverly Floods --- ????

Waverly Floods --- ????

And most of that 1.5 billion from the nader was insured losses.....

Not governments job to put everyone whole after a disaster.....

Reactions: GroverCleveland
There was tens of billions spent that had little to nothing to do with recovery. There was tens of billions that was excessive waste....

What about the prior 35 years where the hurricane impact was relatively minimal in Louisiana....

It's just like self insuring. You build it up over years and when you have to use it, you use it.
Does not make any difference you can dispute the numbers I don't care. A state does not have that kind of money and like I said before take it to Congress.
It is one thing all those inept idiots in Congress agree on because if they don't it will cost them votes.

Does not make any difference you can dispute the numbers I don't care. A state does not have that kind of money and like I said before take it to Congress.
It is one thing all those inept idiots in Congress agree on because if they don't it will cost them votes.

You are blatantly making BS arguments. If a tornado hits 800 buildings, insurance covers the bulk of that, not the govt. You are being disingenuous....

Reactions: hog88

Trump has lied and cited non existent evidence that people in need in NC are being short changed on assistance based on being in Republican areas. As usual, it's a "some people are saying" scenario where he dodges being held to account for what he says.

Trump has also falsely claimed that the administration has ignored requests for help from Georgia.

Trump is just a complete ashhole.

Probably more so by the new FEMA priorities.

You are blatantly making BS arguments. If a tornado hits 800 buildings, insurance covers the bulk of that, not the govt. You are being disingenuous....
No they do not, look at what has happened in Florida to get your answers. Sorry but your argument is not going to fly. Then the insurance companies go broke as well.
You are living in Alice's Wonderland if you think it all comes out realistically.
TX, LA, TN, FL, CA, CO and several more states out West have received FED Relief Funding for Natural Disasters.
Memphis sits on a Fault line and will disappear one day with no space to rebuild.
So you are living in a dream world if you think they can afford and the insurance companies will cover it.
Nobody is made whole again in a Catastrophic disaster.

Wildland Fires is one that I can think of that falls into this category. Not sure about Utah but Wyoming had an experience. It is a broad category to take on but there are different levels of events of which use to be 60/40, 80/20 and 95/5 Fed to state %s. This was up till 2005 I do believe but the law may have changed regarding relief. Areas also include US VI and PR.
I am not up to speed on the cost of a wildland fire. Not counting things which are privately insured (homes, farms, equipment, etc) what is the cost of fighting a wild fire?

No they do not, look at what has happened in Florida to get your answers. Sorry but your argument is not going to fly. Then the insurance companies go broke as well.
You are living in Alice's Wonderland if you think it all comes out realistically.
TX, LA, TN, FL, CA, CO and several more states out West have received FED Relief Funding for Natural Disasters.
Memphis sits on a Fault line and will disappear one day with no space to rebuild.
So you are living in a dream world if you think they can afford and the insurance companies will cover it.
Nobody is made whole again in a Catastrophic disaster.

What you have failed to realize is we are paying for it now. But we are paying for extra waste and extra bureaucracy.

You might like 36T in debt but I dont. It's not the govts job to make you whole.

I got hit by a tornado last year. I had insurance. I had a flood a few years back. I had insurance.

Im living in the real world showing responsibility and not waiting for white knight govt to support me...

I am not up to speed on the cost of a wildland fire. Not counting things which are privately insured (homes, farms, equipment, etc) what is the cost of fighting a wild fire?
I could not quote you a price but I am sure that you want information regarding resources and losses. Plenty of examples.
All I know is that it is part of the Federal Aid Assistance Program and the depends on the areas concerned.
You might as well throw in the Volcanic eruption that occurred on the Big Island of Hawaii as well
which is another Natural Disaster.

Did you see the story on the idiot fire chief for Lake Lure threaten a private helicopter pilot with arrest if he continued to rescue people? Serious as hell, I watched the local TV channel story. Guy has a small chopper and had gone up into the mountains and already rescued several families the day before and delivered supplies to others. So the next day, they get a message for a older couple. Fly up. Because of the location, he makes the decision to fly just the lady out first, leaving his son (who is also a pilot) and the husband, planning on returning asap.

Flies out. Spots rescue teams farther down the mountain. He lands, the lady is handed over to the team, the team is excited and shares radio frequencies with the pilot and promises to arrange for him to have a defined landing area when he returns.

Except Idiot Fire Chief steps in and orders the pilot to cease and desist. Pilot says hey, no problem, but in the middle of a rescue and my son/co-pilot is still on the mountain and I need to get them. Idiot Fire Chief says if pilot picks up anyone else, he will be arrested. Doing this in front of the wife mind you. Pilot says well I'm going to pick up my son. Idiot Fire Chief calls over two cops and threatens the pilot again. Pilot apologizes to the wife, who is flabbergasted, flies off to pick up his son, explaining to the husband what has transpired, and flies home with his son.

I've not known very many Fire Chiefs and deputy fire chiefs, but of the few I have, they have exhibited an amazing incidence of stupidity. Is there something about the job that attracts idiots? Have I simply run into a group of which 50% happen to be idiots? Help me out here. I think I'm going to have a sign made and sent to this moran.

That fire chief needs an azz kicking

Here’s the asshat Fire Chief of Lake Lure

I could not quote you a price but I am sure that you want information regarding resources and losses. Plenty of examples.
All I know is that it is part of the Federal Aid Assistance Program and the depends on the areas concerned.
You might as well throw in the Volcanic eruption that occurred on the Big Island of Hawaii as well
which is another Natural Disaster.
This is going to be a tough series of questions. But in the discussion of can (or should) a state be responsible for their own disaster relief, is the state unaware of the natural disasters commonly threatening them? Do Hawaiians not understand they live on an island created by a volcano? Are Floridians ignorant to Hurricanes? Do the good folks of New Orleans (one of my personal favs) not know they live below sea level?

If those states and cities, and the people who dwell in them are aware of the risks, why is it the responsibility of the nation to fix it?

I would love to see a plan for reducing federal taxes and states adding them if it would eliminate the need for federal bureaucracy. The problem I see would be in states where there is currently no income tax. Getting the people in those states to buy off on such a massive reconstruction would be a real challenge

Well then the people in said state would be the ones suffering their decisions.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
This
Did you see the story on the idiot fire chief for Lake Lure threaten a private helicopter pilot with arrest if he continued to rescue people? Serious as hell, I watched the local TV channel story. Guy has a small chopper and had gone up into the mountains and already rescued several families the day before and delivered supplies to others. So the next day, they get a message for a older couple. Fly up. Because of the location, he makes the decision to fly just the lady out first, leaving his son (who is also a pilot) and the husband, planning on returning asap.

Flies out. Spots rescue teams farther down the mountain. He lands, the lady is handed over to the team, the team is excited and shares radio frequencies with the pilot and promises to arrange for him to have a defined landing area when he returns.

Except Idiot Fire Chief steps in and orders the pilot to cease and desist. Pilot says hey, no problem, but in the middle of a rescue and my son/co-pilot is still on the mountain and I need to get them. Idiot Fire Chief says if pilot picks up anyone else, he will be arrested. Doing this in front of the wife mind you. Pilot says well I'm going to pick up my son. Idiot Fire Chief calls over two cops and threatens the pilot again. Pilot apologizes to the wife, who is flabbergasted, flies off to pick up his son, explaining to the husband what has transpired, and flies home with his son.

I've not known very many Fire Chiefs and deputy fire chiefs, but of the few I have, they have exhibited an amazing incidence of stupidity. Is there something about the job that attracts idiots? Have I simply run into a group of which 50% happen to be idiots? Help me out here. I think I'm going to have a sign made and sent to this mora
This can't be true, can it??

What you have failed to realize is we are paying for it now. But we are paying for extra waste and extra bureaucracy.

You might like 36T in debt but I dont. It's not the govts job to make you whole.

I got hit by a tornado last year. I had insurance. I had a flood a few years back. I had insurance.

Im living in the real world showing responsibility and not waiting for white knight govt to support me...
I realize it what you fail to realize is the State's can handle it alone in costs or manpower or equipment to save lives to save lives. Plus, insurances can't provide full recovery or close to it.
Watch Sunday night 60 minutes regarding insurance claims from 2 years ago.
Second, you fail to realize that Congress has to change it, but they want because it would be unwise to vote against the bill that supports it.
Third, I do realize that there is fat being taking by all involved. It is still money paid out. States can even hand the service calls much less the expenses.
Each State has Emergency Opns Centers, each county has Emergency Opns Center but they cannot do anything regarding without higher up approval. Managing Assets EQ and Manpower
for Emergency Opns is a chaotic mess.
TIFWIW. I really don't care if you don't understand it or not. It is just the way it is and I have given you the reasons why the States want FEMA and Federal involve as well as Congress.

This is going to be a tough series of questions. But in the discussion of can (or should) a state be responsible for their own disaster relief, is the state unaware of the natural disasters commonly threatening them? Do Hawaiians not understand they live on an island created by a volcano? Are Floridians ignorant to Hurricanes? Do the good folks of New Orleans (one of my personal favs) not know they live below sea level?

If those states and cities, and the people who dwell in them are aware of the risks, why is it the responsibility of the nation to fix it?
All good questions.... one answer for the reason and responsibility.... Congress and State Government.

I would love to see a plan for reducing federal taxes and states adding them if it would eliminate the need for federal bureaucracy. The problem I see would be in states where there is currently no income tax. Getting the people in those states to buy off on such a massive reconstruction would be a real challenge
If the Fed reduced taxes to turn more over to the individual state, the state isn't required to raise revenue via income tax, correct?

If so, why would those states with no income tax be a problem?

Really?

$2.1 billion

New Nissan Stadium is a domed American football stadium under construction in Nashville, Tennessee for use by the Tennessee Titans, succeeding the current Nissan Stadium beginning in 2027. The 60,000-seat stadium is projected to cost $2.1 billion, $1.26 billion of which is subsidized by the public.

I realize it what you fail to realize is the State's can handle it alone in costs or manpower or equipment to save lives to save lives. Plus, insurances can't provide full recovery or close to it.
Watch Sunday night 60 minutes regarding insurance claims from 2 years ago.
Second, you fail to realize that Congress has to change it, but they want because it would be unwise to vote against the bill that supports it.
Third, I do realize that there is fat being taking by all involved. It is still money paid out. States can even hand the service calls much less the expenses.
Each State has Emergency Opns Centers, each county has Emergency Opns Center but they cannot do anything regarding without higher up approval. Managing Assets EQ and Manpower
for Emergency Opns is a chaotic mess.
TIFWIW. I really don't care if you don't understand it or not. It is just the way it is and I have given you the reasons why the States want FEMA and Federal involve as well as Congress.

I know we are going to have a difference of opinion here. Im a super fiscal conservative that wants the fed govt to be run like the founding fathers indicated (negotiate treaties, interstate commerce, defense) and leave everything else to the states....

VN Store

Back