Two concerning things about Heupel so far in his tenure here that bother me.

The secondary and DB’s have not improved and just regressed if anything.

Tennessee Defensive Team Stats:

2021 Passing Defense Rank - 121
2022 Passing Defense Rank - 127
2023 Passing Defense Rank - 64

2021 Total Defense - 98th
2022 Total Defense - 91st
2023 Total Defense - 33rd

are_you_sure.gif

Concerned about playing a couple of terrible road games. Best win in 3 years on the road was LSU. Not so good some of the others

Reactions: DarkVolder
1. His ridiculous loyalty to Joe Milton as the starter. It’s crazy to think if Milton hadn’t got hurt in 2021 we would have never seen the greatness of Hendon Hooker and as we all
know was clearly the much better QB. We wouldn’t have gone 11-2 last season either. Remember Joe was always Heup’s guy from day one the moment he got here. Hooker was brought here by Pruitt and Jim Chaney. It also makes me wonder if Nico wasn’t ready to start and play earlier in the season based on what I saw in the bowl game. Did Joe have incriminating photos on Heupel or something?

2. Retaining Tim Banks and Wille Martinez for a fourth year. I can maybe roll with bringing Banks back but Willie too I just don’t understand. The secondary and DB’s have not improved and just regressed if anything. He’s a terrible coach that Georgia didn’t want 15 years ago I didn’t want him when he was here with Butch. It’s asinine to retain him another season we have all seen enough and there is enough stats and data since 2021 to see that he needs to go and Banks probably does as well but definitely keep RG he’s the only defensive coach that is earning his money. It just appears that Heupel won’t fire his buddies and unfortunately that’s gonna cost him his job eventually. Highly successful coaches like Kirby and Harbaugh and others know when they need to shake up their staffs and make changes to keep improving and not get stagnant. And if that means firing your friends well so be it, coaching is a business.
The most successful coach here in 2 decades. I think he is doing a hell of a job.

People want the perfect coach, human nature is to find something wrong with everything. Heupel is a good coach that has the potential to grow into a very very good one. GBO

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Tennessee Defensive Team Stats:

2021 Passing Defense Rank - 121
2022 Passing Defense Rank - 127
2023 Passing Defense Rank - 64

2021 Total Defense - 98th
2022 Total Defense - 91st
2023 Total Defense - 33rd

View attachment 609949
Oh come on Topia....we were having so much fun and you had to drop the Truth Bomb on us. Well played Monte Cristo...well played.

Reactions: OrangeShades
The best employees still get performance reviews and discuss ways to improve. Not being satisfied can be a catalyst to greater things.
Who the hell are we to review anything. We were not in practice, the meeting rooms, the film room. What are you basing this review on? The on field product only? Do the players like him, does he communicate with donors? Does the program trust him?
The two coaches mmighthave been retained for a reason, how do we know. Maybe his agent put out feelers and got nothing....replacing them with the same coach just a different name does nothing for you.

1. His ridiculous loyalty to Joe Milton as the starter. It’s crazy to think if Milton hadn’t got hurt in 2021 we would have never seen the greatness of Hendon Hooker and as we all
know was clearly the much better QB. We wouldn’t have gone 11-2 last season either. Remember Joe was always Heup’s guy from day one the moment he got here. Hooker was brought here by Pruitt and Jim Chaney. It also makes me wonder if Nico wasn’t ready to start and play earlier in the season based on what I saw in the bowl game. Did Joe have incriminating photos on Heupel or something?

2. Retaining Tim Banks and Wille Martinez for a fourth year. I can maybe roll with bringing Banks back but Willie too I just don’t understand. The secondary and DB’s have not improved and just regressed if anything. He’s a terrible coach that Georgia didn’t want 15 years ago I didn’t want him when he was here with Butch. It’s asinine to retain him another season we have all seen enough and there is enough stats and data since 2021 to see that he needs to go and Banks probably does as well but definitely keep RG he’s the only defensive coach that is earning his money. It just appears that Heupel won’t fire his buddies and unfortunately that’s gonna cost him his job eventually. Highly successful coaches like Kirby and Harbaugh and others know when they need to shake up their staffs and make changes to keep improving and not get stagnant. And if that means firing your friends well so be it, coaching is a business.

Therein lies the rub: don’t do business with your friends (or family).

This thread gets flagged for the following penalty's : piling on, unnecessary roughing the quarterback, horse collar, unsportsmanlike conduct ,hitting a defenseless player .

Think you might have missed the point, but that ok everyone can’t understand everything.
No. Peyton didn’t need replaced. Joe did. But thank goodness Tee was able to overcome no meaningful reps and he was on a team that had a top tier defense

Who the hell are we to review anything. We were not in practice, the meeting rooms, the film room. What are you basing this review on? The on field product only? Do the players like him, does he communicate with donors? Does the program trust him?
The two coaches mmighthave been retained for a reason, how do we know. Maybe his agent put out feelers and got nothing....replacing them with the same coach just a different name does nothing for you.
Gopher, We are all just on this anonymous board speculating and inserting our opinions. You may consider not taking others words too personal.

Reactions: Rocky Top T
Um, ok. In which game this season would the starting QB have made a difference?
If Nico is as good as advertised, and I think he will be. If he had started the first game, we could have been 11-1. First few games were cup cake teams, and he would have been ready for sec play after those easy games.

Year 4, Huepel needs to do a couple of things to convince me he can win championships. If we don’t make it into the playoffs, that’s concerning.

1. Beat Florida in Neyland this year
2. Beat Alabama this year since they have a new coach.
3. Not get blown out
I would just settle for one of those options next season.

No. Peyton didn’t need replaced. Joe did. But thank goodness Tee was able to overcome no meaningful reps and he was on a team that had a top tier defense

Thought we were talking about getting the backup ready for the next season, but anyway.

Maybe we can bring back butch.

Yea he walked into a sheet show when he got here and has averaged 9 wins a game in three seasons and hasn’t had a losing SEC record yet for that he should def be praised and yes overall no doubt I’m happy with the job Josh has done here. We are relevant again in the football world.
I am glad we have Hype and I think overall he has done a very good job. Of course everyone, even the best coaches make mistakes in player personnel; which I think he did on qb decision. If Nico does as well as expected, we lost a year of his playing time because he will go pro after his junior year. Which gives us two years instead of 3 had he started this year. But with all this said, I wouldn't trade Hype for any other coach. Just my opinion.

VN Store

Back