'24 TX OT Bennett Warren (Tennessee)

The piece of paper matters. The name on the piece of paper matters.

A more valuable piece of paper opens more doors.

Once you choose a door, and walk through it, it becomes much more about the individual.
the piece of paper only matters inasmuch as it's alumni and support systems matter. That ability to walk in and already have a reference, or a networking in is most crucial piece.

the piece of paper only matters inasmuch as it's alumni and support systems matter. That ability to walk in and already have a reference, or a networking in is most crucial piece.
Someone mentioned previously that one of his parents is faculty at Rice? If correct, then yes-to that parent-Michigan has an advantage. Rice is elite academically and if they are in the world of academia, that stuff matters…a lot. Although one can come out of UT and achieve anything they want in essentially any career they choose, Vols are fighting a losing battle to an academic in the fam. Waste of time to debate-those types are unreasonable.

However, academics also tend to micro analyze things. They undoubtedly have some type of categorized list. How does UT stack up in the other categories? SEC? Facilities? Exposure? Coach relationship (massive)? Track record in NFL (well done, Darnell)? Climate? Chick hotness? Whatever. Who knows what’s important to them or their methodology. I’ll just say that if it was all about academics, then the battle would be between Mich and Stanford (see: Hinton brothers), or Northwestern, or UVA, etc.
no telling what’s going to happen but if this kid truly loves the Vols, it’s going to be tough for Mom to overcome. And this kid must love them or we wouldn’t still be talking about him.

The paper matters. The name on the paper determines which doors are likely available.

There’s a reason people compete for them, and pay for them. There’s a reason some cost much more than others.

“Knowing someone” is a great way to open a door. That doesn’t work for everyone though.

Someone mentioned previously that one of his parents is faculty at Rice? If correct, then yes-to that parent-Michigan has an advantage. Rice is elite academically and if they are in the world of academia, that stuff matters…a lot. Although one can come out of UT and achieve anything they want in essentially any career they choose, Vols are fighting a losing battle to an academic in the fam. Waste of time to debate-those types are unreasonable.

However, academics also tend to micro analyze things. They undoubtedly have some type of categorized list. How does UT stack up in the other categories? SEC? Facilities? Exposure? Coach relationship (massive)? Track record in NFL (well done, Darnell)? Climate? Chick hotness? Whatever. Who knows what’s important to them or their methodology. I’ll just say that if it was all about academics, then the battle would be between Mich and Stanford (see: Hinton brothers), or Northwestern, or UVA, etc.
no telling what’s going to happen but if this kid truly loves the Vols, it’s going to be tough for Mom to overcome. And this kid must love them or we wouldn’t still be talking about him.

This is so true and great breakdown.

I have friends who've graduated from Rice, Vandy, TCU, UTK, ETSU, Stanford, teacher from Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Colgate, Columbia, Amherst, etc etc.

Its a degree. Rest is up to you.

one of my buds brothers is a neurologist in atlanta.

he worked his ass off.

Reactions: wmcovol
I have friends who've graduated from Rice, Vandy, TCU, UTK, ETSU, Stanford, teacher from Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Colgate, Columbia, Amherst, etc etc.

he worked his ass off.
About 27% of the top 1% of wage earners have no degree at all. I believe that goes up further when net wealth is looked at.

Maybe more important than the degree itself for athletes is the network. They get opportunities because they have a "name". They may be more likely to attract capital.

About 27% of the top 1% of wage earners have no degree at all. I believe that goes up further when net wealth is looked at.

Maybe more important than the degree itself for athletes is the network. They get opportunities because they have a "name". They may be more likely to attract capital.
In world, its who you know. Also, job interviewing is now psychologically based. EQ is as important as IQ.

Also, networking is incredibly important. If I havent mentioned.

[VIDEO=]

he worked his ass off.
Could not agree more. “It’s a degree. Rest is up to you.” Nailed it.
But for those individuals that migrate to the world of academics, real world accomplishments carry less weight. Because-offense meant to no one- they aren’t in the real world. Academic status and pedigree does matter to them tho. I don’t feel that way, and to 99% of people, it doesn’t matter all that much. But if his parent is faculty at Rice, I’ll bet it does to them. If they are truly being objective, it should be just one of many factors.
Here’s hoping the other categories have an orange check mark next to them.

[/VIDEO]

[VIDEO=]

But for those individuals that migrate to the world of academics, real world accomplishments carry less weight. Because-offense meant to no one- they aren’t in the real world. Academic status and pedigree does matter to them tho. I don’t feel that way, and to 99% of people, it doesn’t matter all that much. But if his parent is faculty at Rice, I’ll bet it does to them. If they are truly being objective, it should be just one of many factors.

[/VIDEO]
We are talking a kinesiology degree, not MIT Engineering in Robotics.

Last edited:
What's with Michigan saying go blue?

Theyre arguably 50% yellow

Can you really claim one single color when you don a separate color like they do with yellow?

Refuse to say "maze" it's yellow.

Like the Steelers. They aren't black and gold. It's freakin yellow.

Go Blue-YELLOW!

Reactions: Volunteer821
What's with Michigan saying go blue?

Theyre arguably 50% yellow

Can you really claim one single color when you don a separate color like they do with yellow?

Refuse to say "maze" it's yellow.

Like the Steelers. They aren't black and gold. It's freakin yellow.

Go Blue-YELLOW!
Maize is corn, which is yellow. I am surprised that some Native American groups has not voiced their concern about politically correct University of Michigan using their term for corn.

Reactions: PlanetVolunteer
Academics. But I still like our chances.GBO
At that level of universities I wouldn't even worry about academics. You'd get a great education at both. It's not like it's a community College against Harvard.

Any company that would reject a diploma just cause its from Tennessee would do the same from Michigan imo.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
[VIDEO=]

[/VIDEO]
Great post. This is his mom’s bio on Rice’s website…. I’d say they’re definitely much more concerned with academic status and pedigree more than anything else

Kathi Dantley Warren is the vice president for development and alumni relations at Rice University. Prior to her promotion in July 2019, she was associate vice president for development at Rice, a role in which she was responsible for the day-to-day operations of individual fundraising programs and also oversaw various departments within the Development and Alumni Relations division, including gift planning, major gifts, school-based fundraising and annual giving.

Prior to coming to Rice in July 2017, Kathi dedicated more than three and a half years to Duke University’s Duke Cancer Institute as their senior executive director of development. In her role with one of the original eight comprehensive cancer centers designated by the National Cancer Institute, she transformed the fundraising program from a yearly $18 million enterprise to a $30 million enterprise and successfully completed a $200 million campaign.

From 2010 to 2014, Kathi served as assistant dean for alumni affairs and development at Cornell University’s College of Engineering, where she developed and implemented its first alumni affairs and development strategic plan and alumni engagement plan. During her tenure, she increased annual revenues from $22.7 million to more than $56 million and led the college to its second-best fundraising year. These fundraising efforts also enabled the college to create and endow several new signature initiatives, including an engineering leadership program and teaching excellence institute.

Kathi earned an M.A. in cell and molecular biology and microbiology from Duke University and a B.A. in biology from Hampton University. Originally from Alexandria, Virginia, Kathi, her husband Stephen, son Bennett and dogs Pearl and Tyson have enjoyed making their home in Texas since coming to Rice. She is an avid sports enthusiast and dog-rescue advocate who also enjoys cooking and painting.

Great post. This is his mom’s bio on Rice’s website…. I’d say they’re definitely much more concerned with academic status and pedigree more than anything else

Hold on one gosh darn second…

Mom is an avid dog person and they’re down to Smokey vs a Wolverine???

Don’t be a hypocrite Mom…there are things bigger than even Academics and NFL Dreams. 🐶

VN Store

Back